Would anyone start Contreras over Danks Sunday?

caulfield12

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 16, 2007 -> 08:10 PM)
Playoffs ? PLAYOFFS ? ! I'm not neccessarily talking about the playoffs. I just know it was the last month or 2 of the season that the young Tiger starters faltered because they had never pitched as many innings in a season before and it took its toll.

Seemed like the only rookie, Verlander, did fine throughout the season to me. Besides the games he faced the whitesox :P

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 16, 2007 -> 08:10 PM)
Playoffs ? PLAYOFFS ? ! I'm not neccessarily talking about the playoffs. I just know it was the last month or 2 of the season that the young Tiger starters faltered because they had never pitched as many innings in a season before and it took its toll.

It's one Tiger stater you're talking about, Verlander. There is no one else on that team that fits the bill. Verlander pitched 1 year in the minors after throwing for Old Dominion in '04 and starting the year with the big club in '06. In that one season in the minors he pitched 130 innings and jumped 3 levels over a 6 month span making an appearance with the big club in September of '05. Verlander is also a power pitcher throwing in the upper 90's with a wicked breaking ball. Verlander ended up "breaking down" by having 3 outstanding and 2 horrible starts (one vs the Sox) in September of last season.

Danks threw 140 innings last season and 156 in '05. He's on pace for about 180 IP this season. He's a Buehrle-esque "soft tosser" (hate to use the term but that's the best way to describe him and his low 90's fastball.) He's not putting a whole lot of strain on his arm with any of his pitches and as the season goes on you'll see Ozzie start to limit Danks' work to keep him fresh. I highly doubt throwing on 18 hours fewer rest than he's used to is going to have any effect on him at all.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 16, 2007 -> 06:20 PM)
It's one Tiger stater you're talking about, Verlander. There is no one else on that team that fits the bill. Verlander pitched 1 year in the minors after throwing for Old Dominion in '04 and starting the year with the big club in '06. In that one season in the minors he pitched 130 innings and jumped 3 levels over a 6 month span making an appearance with the big club in September of '05. Verlander is also a power pitcher throwing in the upper 90's with a wicked breaking ball. Verlander ended up "breaking down" by having 3 outstanding and 2 horrible starts (one vs the Sox) in September of last season.

Danks threw 140 innings last season and 156 in '05. He's on pace for about 180 IP this season. He's a Buehrle-esque "soft tosser" (hate to use the term but that's the best way to describe him and his low 90's fastball.) He's not putting a whole lot of strain on his arm with any of his pitches and as the season goes on you'll see Ozzie start to limit Danks' work to keep him fresh. I highly doubt throwing on 18 hours fewer rest than he's used to is going to have any effect on him at all.

Maybe , maybe not . A cumluative effect might not be immediately noticed. Only Danks will be able to tell how his arm feels. He could go through a dead arm period then recover. You can't speculate on the strain on his arm since you're not him. As its a long season it's better to err on the cautious side.

oh for crying out loud. start danks, in his last 2 starts, i believe he's pitched 14 1/3 innings (not sure) and has only allowed 3 earned runs combined, and that was being in 2 home run hitting parks (the homer dome and the cell), so i think he will be ok pitching in another home run park, at wrigley

and plus, he had the bronx bombers' number all day today. if he can do it vs the yankees with those guys (damon, jeter, a-rod, etc), he can do it vs the scrubs

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 16, 2007 -> 11:56 PM)
I wonder, if Danks were to blow out his arm soon after starting on Sunday(if he did), how much flip-flopping would go on amongst soxtalk. Over-Under says everyone in this thread that's for starting Danks would hate Ozzie if the kid was burnt out or injured himself.

Going by past trends, that would not be the case. Most people around here are real good about owning up. And if Danks blows out his arm after his start on Sunday then there's something seriously wrong with his arm as of right now, 3 days rest shouldn't destroy the arm of a soft tossing 22 year old.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 16, 2007 -> 05:17 PM)
Seemed like the only rookie, Verlander, did fine throughout the season to me. Besides the games he faced the whitesox :P

Not exactly. Verlander had a pretty bad August and September. Here's the line:

G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA

August 5 5 2 3 0 0 0 27.2 42 22 21 4 12 18 6.83 1.95 .359

September 5 5 2 2 0 0 0 28.0 34 15 15 5 12 18 4.82 1.64 .309

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2007 -> 08:35 AM)
So who is already on the 40 man roster, and is lined up to be able to pitch this game?

Gavin Floyd pitched Tuesday for Charlotte and threw well, although he's been having some blister problems apparently.

Egbert had his second tough outing in a row for the Barons.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 17, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
Ozzie says Jose on Sunday. f***

Jose on short rest in that atmosphere screams nightmare to me but whatever.

jose is the best candidate.....he used to pitch on short rest in cuba all the time....i remember one story where he pitched 200+ pitches one game, had a day off, and then Castro demanded that he pitch the next game and he went out and got another W....granted i believe that was like 8 years ago

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 17, 2007 -> 12:01 AM)
Going by past trends, that would not be the case. Most people around here are real good about owning up. And if Danks blows out his arm after his start on Sunday then there's something seriously wrong with his arm as of right now, 3 days rest shouldn't destroy the arm of a soft tossing 22 year old.

I wouldn't necessarily consider Danks a "soft tosser" as he throws 91-93 and touches 94.

I wouldn't have a problem starting either Jose or Danks, as both are better than options than Masset/Floyd/Haeger.

I have seen the Cubs and Dusty Baker endlessly mocked on this site for over using Wood and Pryor down the stretch of a pennant race yet, now I see Ozzie being criticized for protecting a good young pitcher instead of using him in an oh so important rivalry game.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ May 17, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
Jose probably pitched double-headers back in Cuba. He pitched outstanding last night. Great call.

Ya when he wasn't pushing 40+ and his arm was plenty used to the situation.

Edited by WHarris1

Did I miss something Why are we talking about skipping starts or bringing somebody up, we have 5 solid starters dont we?

Tue (played Wed) was Danks

Wed was Contrertas

Thu was Garland

Fri is Buehrle

Sat is Vazquez

Sun back to Danks

What gives?

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 17, 2007 -> 06:36 PM)
Did I miss something Why are we talking about skipping starts or bringing somebody up, we have 5 solid starters dont we?

Wed was Contrertas

Thu was Garland

Fri is Buehrle

Sat is Vazquez

Sun back to Danks

What gives?

Ozzie is considering Contreras for Sunday due to the short rest. He is worried about Danks (and short rest). Also considered bringing someone up for one start (Broadway, Gio, Floyd), or even Masset. Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 17, 2007 -> 06:36 PM)

Wed was Contrertas

Thu was Garland

Fri is Buehrle

Sat is Vazquez

Sun back to Danks

What gives?

Because they would both be pitching 3 days' rest, actually, Jose would have even less time, since he pitched at night and Sunday will be a day game.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 17, 2007 -> 06:20 PM)
I have seen the Cubs and Dusty Baker endlessly mocked on this site for over using Wood and Pryor down the stretch of a pennant race yet, now I see Ozzie being criticized for protecting a good young pitcher instead of using him in an oh so important rivalry game.

It is always different YAS, it's always different.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 17, 2007 -> 07:03 PM)
McCarthy. He did pretty well too. A windblown homer beat him.

I could not remember if it was B-Mac or Rausch.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 16, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)

You're kidding right ? Erstad has been crucified and continues to be crucified despite obviously being the better choice over Anderson. Every mistake he makes is put under a microscope. Anything to cling to the hate. He's play good all around baseball. Defense ,running, offense, leadership . What more do people want ? . I'm aware of the OBP and OPS. Expecting a high OPS out of Erstad is like expecting Dye to bunt with men on 1st and 2nd with 0 outs. It's just not his game.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I was kind of expecting Denks to get the start after he threw 88 pitches in the 1st game of the double-header on Wednesday. I was thinking he would throw 3-5 innings on Sunday depending on pitch count, and then Massot would come in for 2-3 innings, and hopefully that would get you into the 7th inning or so.

The White Sox have done an EXCELLENT job over the past few seasons of keeping their starters in a regular routine, staying with the five man rotation even with off-days so although I don't think this will be a big deal, they will probably keep Contreras on a tight pitch count, probably no more than 100, and keep Massot ready to come in.