Erstad hurt

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
Chris Young has a .314 obp right now. I think he's going to be a good player, but if Fields came up and put up those kind of numbers everyone would be ready to crucify him.

He also has a .779 OPS and 100 OPS+ both of which would be good for second best on this current Sox team. If Fields were to put up league average numbers for the first 2 months of this season much as Chris Young is doing now, I would be absolutely elated.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:09 PM)
Young has 18 extra basehits and is slugging .465. He's already a league average hitter in his first full season in the bigs. I'd kill for a Sox prospect to perform so well.

His 18 XBH and .465 SLG would also be second best on this Sox team.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:12 PM)
He also has a .779 OPS and 100 OPS+ both of which would be good for second best on this current Sox team. If Fields were to put up league average numbers for the first 2 months of this season much as Chris Young is doing now, I would be absolutely elated.

not

And a lot of folks would be shocked if he put up those exact same numbers facing the Twins, Indians and Tigers for 57 games out of the season...not to mention the rest of the AL is so much stronger than the NL Central and NL West.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)
not

And a lot of folks would be shocked if he put up those exact same numbers facing the Twins, Indians and Tigers for 57 games out of the season...not to mention the rest of the AL is so much stronger than the NL Central and NL West.

The question is not whether or not he'd be able to put up the same numbers in the other league it's whether Chris Young's current offensive production would be acceptable coming from Josh Fields this season which it would be.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:16 PM)
The question is not whether or not he'd be able to put up the same numbers in the other league it's whether Chris Young's current offensive production would be acceptable coming from Josh Fields this season which it would be.

It would be absolutely shocking, that would be comparable to Magglio or C-Lee when they were rookies. Not going to happen unless his swing undergoes a magnificent shortening to "compact" status.

The Trib said "probable ligament damage" regarding Erstad's injury.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:24 PM)
It would be absolutely shocking, that would be comparable to Magglio or C-Lee when they were rookies. Not going to happen unless his swing undergoes a magnificent shortening to "compact" status.

The Trib said "probable ligament damage" regarding Erstad's injury.

Our system doesnt compact swings. thats cheating a power stroke. Elongate it, and swing for the Dan Ryan is our motto. The harder you swing the better you are. Pull Baseball son.

Just for fun:

AB H 2B HR RBI R AVG OBP SLG OPS

179 48 8 2 21 21 .268 .316 .346 .662 - PLAYER A

159 44 12 6 20 23 .277 .314 .465 .779 - PLAYER B

176 40 9 7 26 23 .227 .312 .398 .710 - PLAYER C

HINT: The players make $12M, $750K and $380K in 2007 respectively.

Young is on pace for about 18 homers and 60 RBI's, with a .277/.314/.465. I'm not saying that's bad for a rookie, I just get the feeling that if Sweeney or Fields were to put up those numbers a lot of people on this board wouldn't be very happy, that's all.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:35 PM)
Just for fun:

AB H 2B HR RBI R AVG OBP SLG OPS

179 48 8 2 21 21 .268 .316 .346 .662 - PLAYER A

159 44 12 6 20 23 .277 .314 .465 .779 - PLAYER B

176 40 9 7 26 23 .227 .312 .398 .710 - PLAYER C

A-Erstad

B-Young

C-?

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:37 PM)
Young is on pace for about 18 homers and 60 RBI's, with a .277/.314/.465. I'm not saying that's bad for a rookie, I just get the feeling that if Sweeney or Fields were to put up those numbers a lot of people on this board wouldn't be very happy, that's all.

A-Erstad

B-Young

C-?

Konerko.

And you have a terribly skewed view of what is a successful rookie season.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:37 PM)

Are you s***ting me? 18, 60 and a .779 OPS from a White Sox rookie would be a miracle. Hell, I got excited when Sweeney hit ~.260 for about 7 games.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:39 PM)
Konerko.

If you read my post correctly you'll see that I had no problem with CY's numbers. I just feel that some of the people on this board would be ripping him left and right if he were with us.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:40 PM)
Are you s***ting me? 18, 60 and a .779 OPS from a White Sox rookie would be a miracle. Hell, I got excited when Sweeney hit ~.260 for about 7 games.

Couldn't agree more.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:39 PM)
Konerko.

Bingo.

And the last Sox rookie to put up numbers even close to 18, 65 and .779 was Carlos Lee in '99 when he managed 16, 84 and .775.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:43 PM)
If you read my post correctly you'll see that I had no problem with CY's numbers. I just feel that some of the people on this board would be ripping him left and right if he were with us.

Then they're out of their f***ing minds and should be ignored anyway.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:59 PM)
I think we should all write a letter to Kenny Williams begging him to draft/develop some prospects that succeed in the majors (aside from Chris Young) so that quickman will stop. It's the only solution I can see :)

Let me add that when I talk about "succeeding" in the majors, I mean have a successful career, not a decent rookie season.

Edited by WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
Chris Young has a .314 obp right now. I think he's going to be a good player, but if Fields came up and put up those kind of numbers everyone would be ready to crucify him.

Darin Erstad has a .313 OBP and most posters think he has done an admirable job. Young has 6 HR and 6 SB and a .780 OPS playing CF. That's fine. If Fields came up and did that it would be awesome (in fact, he doesn't even have to play CF -- 3B is fine :) )

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:50 PM)
Darin Erstad has a .313 OBP and most posters think he has done an admirable job. Young has 6 HR and 6 SB and a .780 OPS playing CF. That's fine. If Fields came up and did that it would be awesome (in fact, he doesn't even have to play CF -- 3B is fine :) )

Anybody who thinks Erstad has done an admirable job is out of their f***in mind.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:52 PM)
Anybody who thinks Erstad has done an admirable job is out of their f***in mind.

Regardless, there seem to be a lot of posters on the board who think he was performing pretty well. I was trying to point out that, given that, it would be bizarre for people to think a rookie putting up those numbers was bad.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:54 PM)
If you could live with the strikeouts, I'd expect a the improved batting eye Fields to put up a .230/.325/.400 line right now. That's far from disastrous.

But Where Would He Play?

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 31, 2007 -> 09:58 PM)
Regardless, there seem to be a lot of posters on the board who think he was performing pretty well. I was trying to point out that, given that, it would be bizarre for people to think a rookie putting up those numbers was bad.

But Where Would He Play?

Left field with Mack in center. I wasn't a fan of Mack out in center, but I'm also not a fan of having Owens in CF or Anderson back up (Anderson shouldn't be up until he makes serious adjustments to that swing).

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
Yeah, but he has really learned to walk this season. Our minors are pretty good dude, you've been ignoring them obviously this year. We have some good arms down there.

Rock, All anyone has to do is prove to me they are good arms. The best way to do that is to have htem on the big league roster and succeed. I could care less if they are good in triple or double aa. Means absolutely nothing. Can these guys play on this roster? If they could they would be here. If they can in the future then we will see but I suspect they will go as the great Baj went.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:59 PM)
Williams acceptance of the worst outfield in baseball before the injuries, and the reliance on the likes of Terrero and Mack after them to fill the "void" has been bad. Very bad. But one of the worst offseasons a Sox GM ever had? I don't think so. He didn't sign Navarro...he didn't trade Sosa for Bell...he didn't trade for Todd Ritchie (OK, he actually did but not this offseason) and those are just recent offseasons. In hindsight, he should have been more radical and ripped up the team, but I don't think that was obvious at the time.

I think we should all write a letter to Kenny Williams begging him to draft/develop some prospects that succeed in the majors (aside from Chris Young) so that quickman will stop. It's the only solution I can see :)

And what a great solution that would be.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 02:23 AM)
Left field with Mack in center. I wasn't a fan of Mack out in center, but I'm also not a fan of having Owens in CF or Anderson back up (Anderson shouldn't be up until he makes serious adjustments to that swing).

Mack back in center? OK, now you are trying to make me stop watching the Sox.

Edited by Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 31, 2007 -> 09:58 PM)

The only reason any Sox fans think Erstad was performing well is that they were comparing him to the rest of our lineup. That sub-700 OPS does not look good, unless you start comparing it to a bunch of guys struggling to hit .200.

I will go on record and say I thought he was a nice player in pods abscence. He knows the game well and the pitchers and plays the game hard. He played nice center field and gave you presence on the basepaths. More importantly his teammates liked him and it appears through both management and teammates that he will be missed. in addition we do not have anyone capable of hitting leadoff now. So for as little as you guys think Erstad did, you will shortly find out that the rest of the bums on this team and in the minors will do much worse. Don't confuse greatness with decent playing ability. He was good at his role, if Brian andersen were any good and if pods was healthy then Erstad would have been your first man off the bench not your starting centerfielder.