Erstad hurt

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:24 PM)
I'm pretty sure you and I are the only people on this board who are pretty high on Owens. I have liked the idea of him as the leadoff hitter for awhile.

Hey, we will be the only ones with faith then. The AAA ballpark is a bandbox, but he is walking a bunch, and looks to be improving his hitting. I just think that with some teams, a young speedy athlete like Owens can ignite the team. Im hoping he may do the same for us.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
15 day DL, just an ankle sprain ....per the SCORE.

Thats good news and even though he is not a top player in the league he was hustling and playing hard plus making some contributions. Which is more than can be said for a few others. Hopefully he comes back healthy.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 01:50 PM)

awesome. That is the right move. And he should get every at bat this coming week to see what he has.

Owens, 26, was batting .305 (58-190) with 10 doubles, two home runs, 16 RBI, 36 runs scored and 23 stolen bases (30 attempts) in 48 games with Charlotte. He is tied for the International League in runs scored and ranks second in stolen bases.

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound Owens batted .325 (39-120) in May, including a .387 (29-75) average over his last 18 games. He compiled 17 multihit efforts and seven games with two or more steals.

Owens made his major-league debut with the White Sox in 2006, going 3-9 with four runs scored in 12 September games.

Edited by RockRaines

I'll say this, this call-up will shake things up a bit, but I expect we'll see him in left field because he's not a center fielder. The question is does that mean Mack goes to the bench and Terrero plays a ton.

Personally I'm starting Mack in CF against all right handed pitchers with Terrero getting the starts in CF against lefties (Mack is hitting very well as of late and we need his bat).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 03:19 PM)
I'll say this, this call-up will shake things up a bit, but I expect we'll see him in left field because he's not a center fielder. The question is does that mean Mack goes to the bench and Terrero plays a ton.

Personally I'm starting Mack in CF against all right handed pitchers with Terrero getting the starts in CF against lefties (Mack is hitting very well as of late and we need his bat).

And Mackowiak is? Why not platoon Terrero and Owens in CF, Terrero and Mackowiak in LF? Atleast until we've fallen out of contention. I haven't seen Owens play CF, so perhaps he's comparable to Mackowiak, but we'll see within the upcoming weeks.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 03:19 PM)

We tried putting Mack in CF last year, how did that work out. He cannot play CF. He is downright terrible there.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
We tried putting Mack in CF last year, how did that work out. He cannot play CF. He is downright terrible there.

Apparently you all don't realize that Jerry Owens would be worse out there.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)

I realize that. Let Jerry play LF, bring Sweeney up to work with Terrero.

Have Mack backup the infield as we now have Cintron with an injury and Pablo out.

Is that even possible?

He'll find his moments in CF with Guillen at the helm. I guess we'll find out whether it's as bad as you suggest.

I think this is overstated.

He's obviously not as defensively inclined as Anderson or even Sweeney, but from what I've seen of him in spring training, he was not a disaster out there. He played the first 4 months of last season in Charlotte's CF before the mandate came down from the front office to give Sweeney some work there. He's been relegated to LF this season not because he CAN'T play there, but because the organization wants to maximize Sweeney's value.

And I'm not an Owens fan. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him in CF, at least until he had a couple of Mack-like screwups out there are proved the scouts here right. Owens needs to prove that he can be a true 4th outfielder, one that can cover CF when Torii Hunter injures his foot next season.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 04:55 PM)
I think this is overstated.

He's obviously not as defensively inclined as Anderson or even Sweeney, but from what I've seen of him in spring training, he was not a disaster out there. He played the first 4 months of last season in Charlotte's CF before the mandate came down from the front office to give Sweeney some work there. He's been relegated to LF this season not because he CAN'T play there, but because the organization wants to maximize Sweeney's value.

And I'm not an Owens fan. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him in CF, at least until he had a couple of Mack-like screwups out there are proved the scouts here right. Owens needs to prove that he can be a true 4th outfielder, one that can cover CF when Torii Hunter injures his foot next season.

Hasn't anyone noticed that Mackowiak can't even run these days? There's no way Ozzie puts him back in CF. It's either Terrero or Owens out there for the next two weeks.