Jerry Owens called up

AirScott

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 01:54 PM)
Just heard it on WSCR. Sweeney and Anderson have gotten a shot, I'm thinking Ozzie and KW are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with Owens.

He has been on fire lately. Im excited to see him get a shot.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 06:56 PM)
He has been on fire lately. Im excited to see him get a shot.

Yep, he's been on quite the tear. Any type of spark plug would be welcome. Wouldn't it be nice of a minor leaguer to come up and actually deserve to stay on the roster when the guy they're replacing comes off the DL?

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just heard it on WSCR. Sweeney and Anderson have gotten a shot, I'm thinking Ozzie and KW are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with Owens.

Atleast he's been hot at the plate for a while now and he can steal bases. He has no power. I guess that he'll play left because I hear his arm is weak and he's not really a CFer. He really might spark the offense.

Hunter Pence, Jerry Owens is certainly not, but at this point, bringing up some talent thats not considered a top prospect that has alot to prove can really help jumpstart the veterans on the club. If Owens gets on base, I think he'll be able to cause some problems right away.

What the hell. Why not.

Hopefully Guillen leads him off (exactly where he should be) and he is given every opportunity to take over that void.

Personally, I'm not crazy about the kid as a starting major leaguer, but, crazier things have happened and it will be nice to have a legitimate speed threat at the top of the order.

In a perfect world, Sweeney would still be up and playing in center field--possibly in a platoon situation with Luis Terrero--and Owens would be in left.

I'm going to guess that Terrero is now the starting center fielder and Owens plays in left field, is that right?

For what it's worth, Larry Bigbie now an unrestricted minor league free agent. He's a guy that provides nice outfield depth and perhaps someone to keep an eye on.

He will sit on the bench as Mackowiak is hot and Danny Terreo is the only centerfielder on the team. Unless Owens is going ot take time from mackowiak which I guess he is going to as Ozzie needs a somewhat fast guy to lead off.

Owens may be able to hit but he is Scott Podsednik and the Rob Mackowiak centerield version in the outfield. Mackowiak is finally hitting so this could be very interesting how how Ozzeroo plays with this.

He should try Iguchi or mack leading off and tell them they can not swing until they have two strikes to start the game.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 02:03 PM)
He should try Iguchi or mack leading off and tell them they can not swing until they have two strikes to start the game.

I actually really like the idea of giving a shot to Iguchi at lead off. The numbers may not indicate it, but that could just work. We already know he is a smart hitter, its just a matter of if he could adjust and take pitches.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 01:10 PM)
I hope Owens starts every game in LF and Terrero every game in CF for the next few weeks.

Remember when Pods/Erstad/Dye was the worst OF in MLB? The worst got worse.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)
That's usually what happens when 2/3 of your starting outfield goes down with injuries.

These things also tend to happen occasionally when your average starting OF age is 32.

Go get em Jerry. We could use someone stepping up. Just hit freaking .300 please.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 02:10 PM)
I hope Owens starts every game in LF and Terrero every game in CF for the next few weeks.

Since Mackowiak is hot, he can get starts at 3B and 2B, and maybe come in late in the game in RF.

I really really hope this happens. give these guys a chance every day for a while. not two-three times a week crap.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 07:17 PM)
These things also tend to happen occasionally when your average starting OF age is 32.

Go get em Jerry. We could use someone stepping up. Just hit freaking .300 please.

I'm going to the race track today. I'll update people if I see Pods rehabbing.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 02:13 PM)
That's usually what happens when 2/3 of your starting outfield goes down with injuries.

And with no warning. Who woulda thunk that 2 healthy young bucks like Podsednik and Erstad wouldn't even make it to June before hitting the DL.

Josh Fields needs to be playing LF for Charlotte NOW.

Also, if Craig Wilson hits in Charlotte I'd like to see him get a shot at sticking with the Sox since he can be a very valuable utility player (LF, RF, C, 1B) with a lot of pop (better than Andy Gonzalez anyway).

All that being said I'm excited to see Owens and I hope he hits.

QUOTE(bigred3535 @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 02:33 PM)
Josh Fields needs to be playing LF for Charlotte NOW.

Also, if Craig Wilson hits in Charlotte I'd like to see him get a shot at sticking with the Sox since he can be a very valuable utility player (LF, RF, C, 1B) with a lot of pop (better than Andy Gonzalez anyway).

All that being said I'm excited to see Owens and I hope he hits.

Why Fields to LF? We'd be better off with moving Crede and pluging in Fields.