The Irony Of This Forum

JohnCangelosi

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 12:46 PM)
So you really don't get what I was saying there huh?

I was simply pointing out the irony is a 20-year-old bringing up an issue of "credibility" to somebody who's been following the Sox longer than he's been alive.

I did a quick google search for JohnCangelosi on Soxtalk and couldn't find any sort of opinionated posts. If I get called out by someone like that then what the hell is my recourse?

Recourse? Did he specifically call you out by name in his original post?

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 02:57 PM)
I was simply pointing out the irony is a 20-year-old bringing up an issue of "credibility" to somebody who's been following the Sox longer than he's been alive.

I'm talking about credibility on here. How do you not get that? Really though, congrats to him on being much much older than I am, that's quite an accomplishment, it's not going to keep me from from responding.

Recourse? Did he specifically call you out by name in his original post?

That's actually the entire point, no one was called out individually but the board as a whole was. If that person's opinions have yet to be established on the board then how is anyone suppose to respond to that? And as a long time member of this board why shouldn't I take attacks like this somewhat personally?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 01:00 PM)
I'm talking about credibility on here. How do you not get that? Really though, congrats to him on being much much older than I am, that's quite an accomplishment, it's not going to keep me from from responding.

How do you not get that most people here don't really give a crap about "Soxtalk Cred." Having 10,000 posts doesn't make one's opinion more or less valid than the guy's who has 100 posts.

That's actually the entire point, no one was called out individually but the board as a whole was. If that person's opinions have yet to be established on the board then how is anyone suppose to respond to that? And as a long time member of this board why shouldn't I take attacks like this somewhat personally?

Why do you give a crap about what this guy thinks, especially when he throws out a statement aimed at nobody in particular and doesn't cite any posts to back it up? Instead of going apes*** and throwing out your "Soxtalk Cred", ask the joker to back up his statements.

QUOTE(TheOcho @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 08:08 PM)
Is age actually being used in this conversation? Eesh. :fight

and post-count superiority and job/career bragging as well. quality stuff. :D

Edited by thedoctor

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 03:24 PM)
I'm old, have 10,000+ posts and people don't give a s*** about my opinions either. Do I care?... Well a little, because Kal's my idol. :wub:

Would you feel better if I told you that you were my idol?

I voiced concerns about how crappy our bullpen would become in the regular season back in December. I was promptly lambasted for my concerns to the pathetic responses of "Coop Will Fix Them" and "How could you find anything wrong w/ guys who throw 90+mph!?"

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 04:43 PM)
I voiced concerns about how crappy our bullpen would become in the regular season back in December. I was promptly lambasted for my concerns to the pathetic responses of "Coop Will Fix Them" and "How could you find anything wrong w/ guys who throw 90+mph!?"

With the reclamation projects of Thornton and MacDougal last year, people felt good about the work that Cooper could do with Floyd and Sisco in Spring Training.

Early on, it seemed that Aardsma was turning it around and Massett looked like a sure thing.

So, outside of the surprising addition of Sisco on the 25 starting the season, who wasn't thinking positive about the team?

I'd almost bet that MacDougal is overcompensating in his motion to avoid injuries. He has an injury history because of his violent motion. He's probably trying to change things in his mechanics to stay healthy but it's throwing his accuracy off.

It's easy to look in hindsight and say "I told you so" when something goes wrong.

Was there ever anything that you would admit that you were wrong about - regarding this team - that turned into a good thing?

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd almost bet that MacDougal is overcompensating in his motion to avoid injuries. He has an injury history because of his violent motion. He's probably trying to change things in his mechanics to stay healthy but it's throwing his accuracy off.

Dan Plesac on Sports Night made a very astute comment yesterday on MacDougal.

He said "this is the guy whose hat was always falling off when he pitched in KC". They they showed a video of him pitching for the White Sox and Plesac said "he still moves his head violently when he throws, where the head goes the body follows" and then he said he knows the White Sox have been working on this with him but it hasn't sunk in.

My sense is the White Sox are frustrated with MacDougal because for whatever reason its not sinking in. Either way MacDougal fixes it or he will be a walk an inning guy forever and that is bad for a set up guy.

I think Kal was on the right track before he brought post count into the discussion though. Making blanket statements calling out an entire messageboard when you have been here for a little while isnt really the way to bring about a healthy discussion, and it will offend plenty of long time posters.

The negativity gets to me too, but frankly I cant argue with it anymore. The Sox arent producing wins, and there is a reason for it. Just because a majority thought we were going to stink for one reason, and we ended up stinking for another reason doesnt mean that everyone needs to be called out two months in the season for being nanny naybobs/negative nancies. We still stink.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
Why do you give a crap about what this guy thinks, especially when he throws out a statement aimed at nobody in particular and doesn't cite any posts to back it up? Instead of going apes*** and throwing out your "Soxtalk Cred", ask the joker to back up his statements.

Joker? How about a little respect for a guy who was having my way with beautiful women while you were still in diapers?

;-)

Guys, I am sorry but I don't have time to go dig up ST posts, and secondly, I wasn't looking at starting a big altercation here but I think it would be safe to say that this board was pretty down on the SP in ST more than ANY other aspect of the team.

Sure, I agree there was contempt for Pods and the CF situation but I would say any reasonable person would state that SP was the "haters" biggest rallycry coming into the season.

Would anyone who has been following the board disagree? I mean, afterall it's just my perception- I wasn't keeping score on the amount of posts going back and forth in ST...

However, for me, that was literally ALL I was hearing in the forum, and since I just joined at that time it really stuck with me what the board (in general) thought of our SP when me, perhaps being a bit of a homer, thought our SP was pretty solid coming into the season minus the question mark in the 5 spot.

I thought we had a 95 win caliber team because I figured the offense was going to show up like they have in previous years...

I wasn't calling anyone out in the forum specifically, either. Perhaps the haters a bit, since they are so quick to think they have all the right ideas, but just tossing it out there, to be honest.

It's just a little ironic, I would say, that the haters rallycry in ST has been the strongest part of the club, and I am just reminding them of that!!

:-)

Edited by JohnCangelosi

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 04:26 PM)
Making blanket statements calling out an entire messageboard when you have been here for a little while isnt really the way to bring about a healthy discussion, and it will offend plenty of long time posters.

The point brought up was valid. Maybe the execution wasn't the best, but I didn't mind the way it was said.