Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:02 PM)
"Mark Buehrle fans will regale over this news . . . the Score has learned Buehrle is close to signing a 4 year contract extension."

Yep.

I just heard that as well. Offman has backed off his original "reporting." Backpedaling.

So, I believe that the original WSCR report is more likely false than true.

Darn.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 11:54 AM)
i understand what you mean, but those are different situations, arod alreayd had a contract and was going to give some of it back, buerhle be signing a completely new contract

I'm no expert in legal issues surrounding CBAs, so I don't know if they'd have a case. But as Steff pointed out, "you can bet your ass" that they'd do everything in their power to TRY to force the Sox to pay more. Especially since the MLBPA and Reinsdorf don't exactly have a history of peaceful coexistence.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 11:48 AM)
Buerhle taking that discount would be a huge problem for his union. Not only would he cost himself money, but theoretically other players down the line.

Yeah, those poor players down the line who might take a 2% cut in their multi-million dollar contracts. :crying

Its the main reason Thome didn't re-up with the Tribe.

Yep, and that's just sad.

The MLBPA represents everything that people don't like about unions.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)
Yep, and there's precedent for it as well (the nixed A-Rod-to-Red Sox deal).

Yep, and there's precedent for it as well (the nixed A-Rod-to-Red Sox deal).

I think others have mentioned it already, but there would be no reason to stop this deal from getting done. Mark Buehrle wouldn't be giving back money that was all ready agreed to, thus reducing the amount of a signed contract. He would just be taking a small contract.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
You bet your ass they would.

They cannot force a player to walk away from a deal he wishes to accept because he wants to stay in a particular place. They can admonish him if they choose, but they cannot quash an extension of 4/50 simply because it is below market-value offer. Several players have chosen to accept below-market deals to accomodate a team which they really wanted to stay with. Buehrle would be perhaps the highest profile to do so, but we're talking about money that 12-18 months ago would have been extremely substantial. Remember, AJ Burnett's deal at 5/55 was viewed as exhorbitant back in 05'. Simply because prices skyrocketted last season does not mean 4/50 is somehow a ridiculous deal. Take your mind out of the current landscape just for a moment, and that's still one hell of an extension. And in 2 years, when Mark is making $12.5 annually, I'll bet there are plenty of pitchers similarly talented that are struggling to get that number annually.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:59 PM)
I didn't post the comparison, so you can go debate that with the person that did.

They will step in here because a player of Mark's ability should (and will) get more than $12M a year, and they will not allow the Sox to set the market that low to protect Mark as well as others.

Bruce is going to lie on Mark's agent...? Are you serious?

Oswalt signed a contract that could be described as below market value last year and he is a better pitcher then Buerhle. Buerhle is 2 and a half months off of a terrible season. Market value is a relative term. The union will not aid Buerhle should he play the season out and injure himself.

As for Levine I personally can not stand the man. He seems to be the type of guy that would report something to make himself look good. The day Garcia was traded he was stating that the Sox would not be one of the teams in the running. Why would Buerhle's agent discuss anything with Levine? The agent really has nothing to gain by discussing this at length. What if the 4/$50M was the Spring Training deal and one the Buerhle camp is looking to take or work off of.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:07 PM)
They cannot force a player to walk away from a deal he wishes to accept because he wants to stay in a particular place. They can admonish him if they choose, but they cannot quash an extension of 4/50 simply because it is below market-value offer. Several players have chosen to accept below-market deals to accomodate a team which they really wanted to stay with. Buehrle would be perhaps the highest profile to do so, but we're talking about money that 12-18 months ago would have been extremely substantial. Remember, AJ Burnett's deal at 5/55 was viewed as exhorbitant back in 05'. Simply because prices skyrocketted last season does not mean 4/50 is somehow a ridiculous deal. Take your mind out of the current landscape just for a moment, and that's still one hell of an extension. And in 2 years, when Mark is making $12.5 annually, I'll bet there are plenty of pitchers similarly talented that are struggling to get that number annually.

Of course they can not force him to do anything, and I didn't see anyone claim they would.

I do not refute anything else in your post but that.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:09 PM)
Oswalt signed a contract that could be described as below market value last year and he is a better pitcher then Buerhle. Buerhle is 2 and a half months off of a terrible season. Market value is a relative term. The union will not aid Buerhle should he play the season out and injure himself.

As for Levine I personally can not stand the man. He seems to be the type of guy that would report something to make himself look good. The day Garcia was traded he was stating that the Sox would not be one of the teams in the running. Why would Buerhle's agent discuss anything with Levine? The agent really has nothing to gain by discussing this at length. What if the 4/$50M was the Spring Training deal and one the Buerhle camp is looking to take or work off of.

Oswalt signed a 5 year, $73M deal. That's one of the largest contracts ever given to a non-free agent pitcher. Top 3 I believe.

Murphy is talking about it now in-depth. Whereas the Union is going to be pissed at Mark but you cant blame a guy for offering a hometown discount. Yet they are continuing to go on the story considering it a done deal just waiting for the final $ value

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:09 PM)

Roy's deal was $70M ish.. perhaps a bit under market, but not $20 MILLION under market.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:13 PM)
Roy's deal was $70M ish.. perhaps a bit under market, but not $20 MILLION under market.

What about Chris Carpenter's deal though? Wasn't it 5/65? That's basically the same deal, but 1 year longer and 500k a year more than the number being mentioned here. The MLBPA would be frustrated by this deal, but their involvement would have no implications upon anything.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:13 PM)

AT LEAST. I'll bet in the open market the total dolllars of the deal that is being talked about here is less than half of the deal someone else would give him.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:07 PM)

I don't know why everyone things 4yr/$60mm is below market. $15mm a year makes him one of the highest paid pitchers in baseball, hell even 4yr/$50mm makes him in the upper echelon...just because Zito got a huge contract doesn't mean every lefty, soft-throwing, innings eater gets $18mm/year.

Per USA Today's database, only 5 of the top 25 paid players this year are pitchers and the top 25 paid players are starting at $13.25mm a year, I do believe this database is dated but it gives an idea of where top salaries are currently at. If there is a better list to search please post it.

I would argue that anything more than 4yr/$60mm is paying too much and something the sox could regret in the future.

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/sa....aspx?year=2007

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:20 PM)
What about Chris Carpenter's deal though? Wasn't it 5/65? That's basically the same deal, but 1 year longer and 500k a year more as the number being mentioned here. The MLBPA would be frustrated by this deal, but their involvement would have no implications upon anything.

Chris Carpenter

5 years/$63.5M (2007-11), plus $15M 2012 club option

signed extension through 2011 12/06

07:$8.5M, 08:$10.5M, 09:$14M, 10:$14.5M, 11:$15M, 12:$15M club option ($1M buyout)

Well I hope this is true and they do agree on 4/50. That would just go and show everyone that Mark really does like it here, and they he gave a discount to the Whitesox. I really don't see how the union will have any say in this issue at all. If Mark chooses to accept that contract, then I see no problem with it, nor should anyone else.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
Chris Carpenter

5 years/$63.5M (2007-11), plus $15M 2012 club option

signed extension through 2011 12/06

07:$8.5M, 08:$10.5M, 09:$14M, 10:$14.5M, 11:$15M, 12:$15M club option ($1M buyout)

That was also a restructuring of a deal he had previously signed. It added more money up front and 4 years to the original deal. Carpenter was smart to take that deal, considering his injury problems he wasn't going to make it to his 2009 free agent year in 1 piece.