Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:05 AM)
Any word on if Mark is asking for some kind of a "no trade" clause?

He has to be. Why give a hometown discount and then not stay in the hometown. I think the whole reason for Mark doing this is cause he wants to stay here. There are millions and millions of reasons for him to go elsewhere, yet he is choosing to work something out here. The no trade clause should be a no brainer.

Oh, but to answer your question, no I haven't heard anything. Then again I don't know anyone either. :)

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:22 AM)
He has to be. Why give a hometown discount and then not stay in the hometown. I think the whole reason for Mark doing this is cause he wants to stay here. There are millions and millions of reasons for him to go elsewhere, yet he is choosing to work something out here. The no trade clause should be a no brainer.

Oh, but to answer your question, no I haven't heard anything. Then again I don't know anyone either. :)

Sometimes I think we are the only ones :lol:

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 01:59 PM)
Haha, God bless America

where a Union can get mad at you for taking 14 million a year for four years

Exactly. Good grief. It's not THAT far off market value - $14MM per year? It's "smaller" due to it being 4 years. If it were 6 years it would be $84MM, 7 years $98MM. That still puts him in the top 10 of pitchers, does it not? So, STFU, MLBPA.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 08:54 AM)
There doesn't need to be. They can make him the example. It's got to start somewhere.

There is, they did not allow Arod to take less money to go to the Red Sox. Its not exactly the same as ARod wanted to modify his current contract, but it is an instance of the union sticking its nose into contract negoitiations.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:28 AM)
There is, they did not allow Arod to take less money to go to the Red Sox. Its not exactly the same as ARod wanted to modify his current contract, but it is an instance of the union sticking its nose into contract negoitiations.

It was an already agreed upon contract. There is a big difference there.

There is no way the union would block this deal. Are they on the hook for the contract should he blow his arm out Monday? They may be angry but they will not block the deal.

A-Rod was giving money back (see about page 30 of this thread)

If there are two deals on the table they can step in if one is for $200M and the other $30M. There is no guarantee that Buerhle gets more than $56M in the offseason, he very well may but the market is a funny thing. Remember when Kevin Brown and Mike Hampton got over $100M each. How come nobody got those type of deals again for years? They are bad deals and not guaranteed to be given annually.

I would be pretty outraged, myself, if the players' union blocked the potential deal here. After all, isn't the union supposed to be representing the players? Getting the players what they want?

If Mark wants to stay here for less than what he could get if he becomes a FA, the union should respect his wishes. Otherwise, the union takes the position that it is each player's duty to get the most dollars, period--no other considerations may be made.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:07 AM)
It is realy not that uncommon for a player to take less to stay with the same team. If you think back awhile, some guy named Paul Konerko did it.

Konerko did not take less money. (near the bottom of the page.

It is realy not that uncommon for a player to take less to stay with the same team. If you think back awhile, some guy named Paul Konerko did it.

Not really. :P

Besides, there's a difference here in that Konerko was a free agent and Buehrle's is an extension. So there are a lot of things going on.

But I doubt anything happens with the Union

The least of people's worries is the MLBPA here. Don't even worry about it, it's a non issue.

The issue is whether or not both sides agree that a 4 yr. $56MM deal is going to work. All the other crap that people is posting is just that, crap.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:28 AM)

Arod's deal was pre-existing. Not the same thing.

QUOTE(toasty @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:03 AM)
it's likely that hahn would be submitting the paperwork to MLB after returning to chicago.....

You can bet there was an MLB rep sitting outside the door during the meeting...

It's a nice feel good thing to say.. but in reality, he did not.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:15 AM)
The least of people's worries is the MLBPA here. Don't even worry about it, it's a non issue.

The issue is whether or not both sides agree that a 4 yr. $56MM deal is going to work. All the other crap that people is posting is just that, crap.

Kap, we are simply talking about what is being reported. No need for you to get all snotty, crapman. :P

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:13 AM)

That article (I remember reading it at the time, probably from you) makes some leaps of faith and some chancey assumptions. PK did indeed take less salary to stay in Chicago, would have made more in Baltimore even after taxes, and I take issue with the assumption that he'd have less endorsements in LA. Probably he opposite seemed likely to me.

Don't want to derail the thread, but on occasion players DO take less than the absolute maximum dollar if they like the situation/ballclub. Just like all of us might not take the highest paying job, if one came along that was almost as high but a better situation. Its not common, but it happens.

I definitely could have gotten more then what I did on a personal level, but I took less for a better long term opportunity.

Of course, I'm not making millions, either.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 03:20 PM)
Kap, we are simply talking about what is being reported. No need for you to get all snotty, crapman. :P

OK, let's say it another way.

Those people that are speculating that the deal would get held up by the MLBPA are full of crap. It won't happen, and if the dimbulb reporters and/or so called "analysts" keep saying that's a roadblock to the deal getting done, it's garbage.

I realize it's fodder for soxtalk discussion, but it shouldn't be. People here are smarter then that. :D

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:20 AM)
You can bet there was an MLB rep sitting outside the door during the meeting...

Steff, I am not too familiar with the process of the contract talks, but why would there be an MLB rep sitting outside the meeting? In case they signed the deal?

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:38 AM)
Steff, I am not too familiar with the process of the contract talks, but why would there be an MLB rep sitting outside the meeting? In case they signed the deal?

That they are even being mentioned means they are interested. How many deals do they even come up? I doubt they will cause an issue, but I'm sure they have been called by other agents regarding the impact a perceived below market contract will have and just want to be sure their clients aren't going to get screwed. In the end, if this is the deal Mark takes, I would guess the worst that happens is he's called stupid by others in his talent class as they collect higher contracts.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:13 AM)

... Interesting. So his contract offer from the Orioles was higher, but he would have taken less money home after taxes. OT, I wonder how often that comes into play in contracts?

No wonder the state of Illinois has a $ problem, we tax athletes half as much as anybody else.

If the union blocked a player from taking 14 million a year because it was "unfair", I don't think that would sit too well with the fans. I took a 20% pay cut to be happy and I have no regrets. The extra money is meaningless if you are miserable. If Mark wants 14 and his happy home instead of 17 and uncertainty, he has that right. 56 million can set your family up for generations and that is just 4 years.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
If the union blocked a player from taking 14 million a year because it was "unfair", I don't think that would sit too well with the fans. I took a 20% pay cut to be happy and I have no regrets. The extra money is meaningless if you are miserable. If Mark wants 14 and his happy home instead of 17 and uncertainty, he has that right. 56 million can set your family up for generations and that is just 4 years.

They are the strongest union in all the land. They don't give a crap about the fans, or the integrity of the game.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
... Interesting. So his contract offer from the Orioles was higher, but he would have taken less money home after taxes. OT, I wonder how often that comes into play in contracts?

No wonder the state of Illinois has a $ problem, we tax athletes half as much as anybody else.

I think Florida has very low taxes, that came into play when T-Mac and Hill signed with the Magic