Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:10 PM)
someone on the whitesoxinteractive reported that buerhle camp rejected sox offer and sox will continue to look trade him

ORLY?

I'm at the point where whatever conclusion is reached between Buehrle and Sox management, I just want it to occur quickly. Having this issue linger over the team for several weeks is another unwarranted distraction in an already abysmal season.

If it were up to me, Buehrle would either be signed long term or traded by the end of this weekend. This issue shouldn't be mentioned before, during, and after everyone of his remaining starts, as we've seen several days ago.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:10 PM)
someone on the whitesoxinteractive reported that buerhle camp rejected sox offer and sox will continue to look trade him

I don't trust anyone on that laughable board called WSI. They banned me after day 2 for saying something about someone's punctuation as a joke.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
ORLY?

I'm at the point where whatever conclusion is reached between Buehrle and Sox management, I just want it to occur quickly. Having this issue linger over the team for several weeks is another unwarranted distraction in an already abysmal season.

If it were up to me, Buehrle would either be signed long term or traded by the end of this weekend. This issue shouldn't be mentioned before, during, and after everyone of his remaining starts, as we've seen several days ago.

Trying to work out an extension with Buehrle right now is such a good move by KW and the front office as long as they utilize it properly. By at least making an attempt to re-sign him now and finding out that their best offer is not good enough they can give up any idea of trading him then trying to re-sign him in the offseason since now you know your best offer is not good enough, there's no point. So if KW makes a push to deal Mark away in the coming weeks he can allow a 72 hour window for the team dealing for him to throw a bunch of money at Mark and in turn get absolute max value in return.

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 02:10 AM)

This wouldn't be surprising...I don't know what else could happen this year to make things worse for our organiztion. The quote is taken from Joe Cowley. I honestly think the Sox need to trade him then before Monday night's start.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)
This wouldn't be surprising...I don't know what else could happen this year to make things worse for our organiztion.

You view Mark potentially leaving as a bad thing then I assume.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 02:32 AM)
You view Mark potentially leaving as a bad thing then I assume.

Yes, especially if it means we have to hang on to Contreras. Simply put, I have no confidence in KW to get proper value for the players.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)
Yes, especially if it means we have to hang on to Contreras. Simply put, I have no confidence in KW to get proper value for the players.

I suppose that's one way of looking at it. I tend to think Jose will be traded as well, and if that's the case I'm fine with both of them going.

This was all a setup by KW and JR. Now they can make MB look greedy, and show that he doesn't really mean what he says about wanting to stay in Chicago. It's typical Whitesox, before it's all over this will be a bad breakup, just like Big Frank and Maggs. Mark my words. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

So lets recap the headlines of Cowley:

Wednesday:

Buehrle extension near Source says change of heart has lefty, Sox on road to long-term contract

Thursday:

Buehrle deal: Now or never

EXTENSION UPDATE | Williams said to be firm on Friday deadline to keep lefty with Sox

Friday:

The big deal will get done

Everyone will benefit when Sox finally get Buerhle to sign on the dotted line.

and now people are saying Saturday's headline will say the deal is there is no deal.

Come on... is this a scam to sell papers, or a guy who is guessing like everyone else?

I think we just need to wait to hear from KW, MB, or MB's agent.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)

Wednesday:

Buehrle extension near Source says change of heart has lefty, Sox on road to long-term contract

Thursday:

EXTENSION UPDATE | Williams said to be firm on Friday deadline to keep lefty with Sox

Friday:

and now people are saying Saturday's headline will say the deal is there is no deal.

Come on... is this a scam to sell papers, or a guy who is guessing like everyone else?

It's not a scam. WSI knows all.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 02:49 AM)

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Friday:

True, but if he says they rejected the deal, then that brings some closure to the situation.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 02:50 AM)
It's not a scam. WSI knows all.

So you don't think the guy has a connection to Cowley?

If the Sox were serious about signing Buehrle, Mr. Reinsdorf would have had to handle negotiations like he did with Konerko. KW has yet to sign a significant. Hetrades people two or three times, and some he has traded only to trade back for. I have no confidence in Kenny trading Buehrle which is what really pisses me off. This whole signing thing was all for show.

KANSAS CITY -- Mark Buehrle has made abundantly clear his intentions to stay a part of the White Sox organization for next year and many years to come. Both general manager Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen have talked about their left-handed ace as one of the White Sox favorite sons -- for his contributions on the field, in the clubhouse and everywhere else.

But when asked prior to Friday's series opener against the Royals for any news concerning the ongoing contract extension talks involving Buehrle and the team, Guillen put forth a smile indicating that he had reached his saturation point on this topic. That point was reached by Buehrle himself two or three days ago.

"It's a soap-opera thing," said Guillen of the contract talks. "Now, I can say that's between the front office and him. When you ask me, I will tell you, because it's my job. But it gets to the point where if he's here, he's here.

"If he's not, then we have to call somebody up. We have to find somebody. If he's here, I'll be penciling him in every five days. If he's not here, we will be watching him and the way he pitches."

Buehrle sat and played cards with his teammates on Friday afternoon, upbeat and seemingly unaffected by his contractual limbo, which should be decided by Monday at the latest. Monday also marks the start of the White Sox final homestand before the All-Star break and Buehrle's next start against Erik Bedard and the Orioles.

Once the Buehrle negotiations are concluded, the media onus might then be placed upon Jermaine Dye and Tadahito Iguchi -- both important pieces to the White Sox and free-agents-to-be after the 2007 season. With their situations in mind, Guillen doesn't want to make it seem as if Buehrle's presence is more important than the other two because of the constant talk dealing with his starter.

"You need people, but it's not necessary to have everybody," Guillen said. "With Buehrle or without Buehrle, this organization is still going on. We'll still continue to play.

"We might be a worse pitching staff or better pitching staff, but we got to move on. We're not going to see him every day, ask Buehrle, 'Are they going to sign you?' and get excited."

After pausing, Guillen said with a smile, "That's between the White Sox and Buehrle. I should be talking about my contract."

Part of the family: Other individuals outside of Jeff Berry, Buehrle's agent, and Williams getting involved to facilitate the process to keep the southpaw in Chicago is a testament to the family feel around this particular organization. But as team captain Paul Konerko pointed out on Friday, it has a great deal to do with Buehrle's impact.

"It just says something about the guy," Konerko said. "There's a lot of people taking up for him, because they want him around. No one wants to see him go anywhere, none of us do.

"I also understand the team's position, where if you run a business or you own a team and run a team, you get to run it the way you want to run it. We're just all kind of crossing our fingers that somehow, one way or the other, it collides to where what's best for the team fits him into it.

"All I can tell you and anybody out there is that Mark doesn't want to go. He wants to stay here. He's trying his best, but we'll see. It's a coin flip right now, it really is."

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:55 PM)
I'm not sure I buy it, either. So because some guy posted, "Torpedo Joe" (or whatever the f*** he called him) "says they rejected the deal" everybody's believing?

I'll wait and see what they say in the paper.

If I knew what Taligeter Jow meant, I would get even more pissed. This is why I hate WSI.