Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)
After sleeping on it, I'm really not all that upset at all. As long as KW can get a nice haul in a deal for Buehrle I'll be fine with it.

Well I have a feeling KW is gonna f*** up royally. I have zero confidence in his smugass to do anything to help this team anymore. To me he is a walking clusterf***.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be very hesitant to deal Buehrle. He's as dependable as it gets -- his career numbers barely change from year to year. He's had two subpar seasons (2006 and 2003), and his first half of 2006 wasn't that bad (4.02 ERA).

And unlike Barry Zito, Buehrle's control has been a constant, a problem that always gets Zito into trouble.

You don't know what you're getting when trading Buehrle. You could get the next Grady Sizemore, or you could get the next Jeremy Reed. With Buehrle, you know you're getting 200+ innings and a sub-4.00 ERA (for the most part).

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)
Well I have a feeling KW is gonna f*** up royally. I have zero confidence in his smugass to do anything to help this team anymore. To me he is a walking clusterf***.

Last time he rebuilt the team, we won the World Series. 16 players on our postseason roster had been aquired within 1 year of 2005. Granted, rebuilding a team with prospects instead of veterans will prove way more difficult. Unfortunately, we are going nowhere with this core of players. Seems like we do not have a choice. Some of our favorite/most talented players will have to be sacrificed. Based on reports, KW has been asking for teams' top 2 prospects for Buehrle, which is exactly what needs to happen. No 'projects' for a pitcher of Buehrle's caliber.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 11:38 AM)
I am going to Monday's game .. MB's next start. If he takes the mound, no matter what happens, he deserves a five minute stand O.

I'll be there doing the same thing!

I'm not happy with Buehrle not being resigned. Not at all. However, the final judgement on this won't be in for a few years. I have no doubt that Mark will continue to be one of the best, most dependable, and least injury-prone pitchers in the game. If KW can get some amazing prospects in return for him, I won't complain.

However, I really, really doubt that they'll get near the equivalence of Buehrle's perfomance from whoever they trade for. I'm all for dumping aging veterans and some other good pieces that can be replaced, but I don't see how the White Sox end up winning on this deal down the road.

Edited by StrangeSox

It's for the best that he didn't resign. Can you imagine him agreeing to the deal and then the White Sox getting that uber-prospect deal from the Red Sox or Mets and trading him?

Lets be honest here. The whole reason to try and get him signed on cheap money was to trade him for what the White Sox saw as fair value, something they aren't going to be getting without a contract extension.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 12:22 PM)
I'm not happy with Buehrle not being resigned. Not at all. However, the final judgement on this won't be in for a few years. I have no doubt that Mark will continue to be one of the best, most dependable, and least injury-prone pitchers in the game. If KW can get some amazing prospects in return for him, I won't complain.

However, I really, really doubt that they'll get near the equivalence of Buehrle's perfomance from whoever they trade for. I'm all for dumping aging veterans and some other good pieces that can be replaced, but I don't see how the White Sox end up winning on this deal down the road.

BINGO. WINNAH.

As they saying goes... "a bird in the hand..."

I still think it might be better long term for the franchise's talent level if we trade Mark, that is IF Kenny gets proper value in return.

However if we won't give a guy who is going to be a 10 and 5 guy in 2009 anyways a NTC, and that causes a 4/56 bargain basement deal with a premeire lefty to fall through, that is pathetic. Pathetic.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
See ya.

He'll be back tomorrow, don't worry.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 05:34 PM)
I still think it might be better long term for the franchise's talent level if we trade Mark, that is IF Kenny gets proper value in return.

However if we won't give a guy who is going to be a 10 and 5 guy in 2009 anyways a NTC, and that causes a 4/56 bargain basement deal with a premeire lefty to fall through, that is pathetic. Pathetic.

How do JR and KW ever expect to acquire top talent then unless they're a few years away from free agency? So not only do we shy away from going after free agent talent, but we also shy away from spending money in the draft. KW talks a big game, but he's acted like a pussy so far. How many more times can he say they're going to make big changes, and two weeks later.....NOTHING! Maybe we can just keep acquiring Ozzie's buddies.

If they do not sign him, simply because they won't give him a NTC, that is a slap in the face to Mark, who has been here his whole career, a slap in the face to us the fans, and sends an awful message to other young guys in the system.

You will give a NTC to Count and Javy, but not someone who we drafted, brought up, groomed, and was important in 2005.

I won't be surprised if they are swerving us and will announce something Monday before a home game, but if this is legit, I just can't put into words how disapointed it would be and KW should be gone!

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)
Isn't Miggy Cabs a buddy of Ozzie's? ;)

And Santana/Zambrano are his countrymen. But the Future isn't bright when it comes to spending money.

If this deal fell through for a NTC, that's a slap to Buehrle's face. I've said it many times before: this organization is not a good organization, from the terrible coaching (except Cooper) to the awful scouts to questionable general managing (although I GENERALLY like KW).

We don't sign big free agents and we won't spend money on draft picks. So where the f*** do they expect to compete from?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)
We don't sign big free agents and we won't spend money on draft picks. So where the f*** do they expect to compete from?

Because KW is the most arrogant GM in sports, and thinks he knows better than everyone else.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)
You will give a NTC to Count and Javy, but not someone who we drafted, brought up, groomed, and was important in 2005.

Seriously now people, it's not the same thing AT ALL.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 05:46 PM)
Seriously now people, it's not the same thing AT ALL.

It's for the best though, cause if the Sox extended Buehrle and then traded him this offseason, that would be an even bigger slap in the face to our fans.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)
Because KW is the most arrogant GM in sports, and thinks he knows better than everyone else.

I still LOL thinking that he wanted to meet ARod without Boras around.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)

I won't be surprised if they are swerving us and will announce something Monday before a home game, but if this is legit, I just can't put into words how disapointed it would be and KW should be gone!

The NTC deal with Javy and Jose was covered earlier in the thread. Actually, twice by Kalapse. Different situations.

haha. Swerving us? What can the the Sox learn from pro wrestling? SWERVE THE FANS~!~!

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 12:47 PM)
It's for the best though, cause if the Sox extended Buehrle and then traded him this offseason, that would be an even bigger slap in the face to our fans.

If the fans don't understand the direction, then..."blank" em.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 12:47 PM)
How so? Unless you mean it is more than the NTC situation.

Garland and Contreras were given No Trade protection for the first year of the new contract ONLY. That's pretty standard, it takes away any possibility of a sign and trade. Javy was only given no trade protection to a few teams on the west coast since he absolutely never wants to pitch out there again, so the Sox still have over 20 teams they could trade him to if they really wanted.

Buehrle is looking for a complete no trade clause that covers the full life of the contract, meaning for the 4-5 years he's signed for the Sox would not be able to trade him anywhere without his consent. The Sox haven't given out full no trade protection to any player that I know of. When you're investing around $60M into a pitcher you want to keep your options open in the long term which is why it makes sense that they wouldn't give him a NTC.