Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
With numerous media sources basically saying that KW is an idiot if he does not give the no trade close, I think they are looking for a way to let KW save some face. Perhaps a NTC that is not called a No Trade Clause? The organization is being made to look worse to free agents by this saga than it would for having a reputation for low-balling or no giving NTC's.

I think maybe people here are assuming that their (our) perspective and perception of the process, as fans, is the same as the players'. But I doubt that is the case. Look at the article in the Trib today - the players all seem to think a deal will be done soon.

The information circles among players are not the ones we get access to - and I don't think they are as concerned with blogs, message boards, or even regular news outlets as we are. They get their information more directly. So, I think this whole mess is probably a lot less of a big deal to them than it is to us. And their ire, when they do have it, may be at the press for making everything so dramatic - and less so with KW or the Sox management.

Now for Buehrle specifically, since he is seeing his salary bantered about, yes - it undoubtedly has an effect. But even for him, he may see the annoyance more as the media than KW himself.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if anyone saw the postgame interview with MB today... but things don't look good.

When asked the odds of him being here after the all star break, he said 50/50, but probably would lean towards getting moved. He also threw something in there about being discouraged and actually said something along the lines of going into Kenny and Rick Hahn about pulling the deal off the table. He said whatever is going to happen he would just like it to happen now.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 06:44 PM)
I don't know if anyone saw the postgame interview with MB today... but things don't look good.

When asked the odds of him being here after the all star break, he said 50/50, but probably would lean towards getting moved. He also threw something in there about being discouraged and actually said something along the lines of going into Kenny and Rick Hahn about pulling the deal off the table. He said whatever is going to happen he would just like it to happen now.

I really can't blame Mark for feeling this way.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 11:44 PM)

It's really pathetic how this is being handled right now.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)

What does Mark have to do to get a Full NTC, throw a no-hitter?

Its odd that KW talks about the future impact of a Full NTC, because that implies that he will be the GM for the foreseeable future. It must be nice with that type of leverage.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 07:36 PM)
What does Mark have to do to get a Full NTC, throw a no-hitter?

Obviously not considering he threw one already. Now a perfect game... that'll be the deal breaker.

Trade him... It's over, we need to get something for him. I'm done with the drama, and against the majority here, I am not in favor of giving the NTC. Too much risk, and gives too much power to the player. It's not just about the Sox being able to trade him, but what's over looked is that if MB decides he wants to be traded (since the team may very well struggle a few years) he has complete control of who he goes to, and the Sox are stuck getting little in return.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 07:53 PM)
Trade him... It's over, we need to get something for him. I'm done with the drama, and against the majority here, I am not in favor of giving the NTC. Too much risk, and gives too much power to the player. It's not just about the Sox being able to trade him, but what's over looked is that if MB decides he wants to be traded (since the team may very well struggle a few years) he has complete control of who he goes to, and the Sox are stuck getting little in return.

Have fun watching Gavin Floyd every 5 days next year. Plus whatever rookie or retread takes Contreras' slot. Good pithcing is hard to find, and the 4 year deal for Buehrle isn't that big of a risk. KC signed Meche, but the Sox won't take this risk....

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 01:02 AM)
Have fun watching Gavin Floyd every 5 days next year. Plus whatever rookie or retread takes Contreras' slot. Good pithcing is hard to find, and the 4 year deal for Buehrle isn't that big of a risk. KC signed Meche, but the Sox won't take this risk....

Don't forget whoever takes over for Garland. If you're not going to give out NTC, you better be trading Garland, Contreras, Thome, Iguchi, etc.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 01:02 AM)
For who?

Even if the negotiation leaks were the fault of Buehrle's family, the Sox organization looks absolutely pathetic right now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 01:05 AM)
Don't forget whoever takes over for Garland. If you're not going to give out NTC, you better be trading Garland, Contreras, Thome, Iguchi, etc.

Even if the negotiation leaks were the fault of Buehrle's family, the Sox organization looks absolutely pathetic right now.

That's a good point - whatever stance is taken, there are pros and cons.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 01:05 AM)

I see where people are upset, but I don't necessarily agree. That's strictly my own vantage point. It may be the wrong move, and maybe the Sox will have to give in to players in the future, further making this situation look bad. However, I have to say, I agree with them on this. And honestly, if the Sox can get a good package of young talent for MB, I think this team needs it. MB is young, but we just have so many holes right now, and with the situation being as it is, I really won't disagree with a trade. Again, that's me, and I realize most people will not agree.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)

Trade them all.

Only Garland is worth fretting over in that group, and his K rate has always indicated that he'll experience an early decline. He's barely worth the money he's making now.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 01:02 AM)

This team is going to have to grow with some young talent either way. MB alone won't save this team, as good as he is. I'm prepared to let some of these kids take their lumps and figure it out at the MLB level. Shoot, Floyd and others will have their shot either way, with or without MB. That's the future we face...

the Sox can not get young spects back in a package, so even if KW doesnt re-sign him, let him play out the season and get the draft picks for him...Those INSIDERS at ESPN, there is an article I think by Olney about this that teams are more interested in picks now since the players arent getting traded...I understand both sides of the argument and its tough to say who is right and wrong...I understand MB and I understrand KW...Que Sera sera, whatever will be will be, the future's not ours to see, que sera sera, what will be will be

The Sox really need to give in to the NTC. From most of the fan's perspective that I have seen and most of the analysts, he is giving the Sox too good of a deal. By not doing this, they are finding a very big way to alienate fans.

Edited by vandy125

QUOTE(TheHolyBovine @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 08:15 PM)
That's your opinion. He's a league-average starter...Nothing more.

He's put up cumulative numbers almost identical to those of Mark Buehrle since the start of the 2005 season.