Mark Buehrle Agrees to 4-yr, 56 mil with escalator clause

Brian

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
So it's a $19M player option if he's traded? That's the only way to get to $75M from $56M. Not consistent with what we heard yesterday..

Perhaps a $2M assignment bonus and a $17M PO that kick in if he's dealt.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
So it's a $19M player option if he's traded? That's the only way to get to $75M from $56M. Not consistent with what we heard yesterday..

Nah... It's probably more like 16-17 in the option year, but it also raises his salary in the non-option years (but after a trade) to 16-17M.

:headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

Awesome, Awesome news.

Looks like the Sox brass do have their heads screwed on the right way. When I saw Mark shaking everyone's hand, I though it was him saying goodbye. Instead, he was only accepting their congratulations.

Now it looks like Jose or Dye or the ones to go. Oh well!!!

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)
I wonder how much fan support influenced the decision to get something done.

Hard to say, but it would have been a horrid PR move in light of the fan support. Keeping Mark on the team means good vibes from Fans to Sox brass.

Whatever the case, I am proud to see loyalty carries much weight with Mark and it appears he isn't JUST about the money. Sox fans should consider ourselves very lucky to have a chance to root for such a class person/player.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)
I'm not down with trading Garland at all.

Me too. We should build around Mark, Jon and John Danks. We should trade Contreras and Vazquez. Vazquez has been good so far and that should raise his value up. Contreras is too old, just get some young blood for him.

I swear, Mark Buehrle is just like you, me, or any other true baseball fan. He understands that he doesn't need to absolutely maximize the amount of money he gets, because no matter what, he's always going to have more than he'll ever need. He could've gotten almost twice as many years and millions upon millions of more money in free agency. But, he chose to stay where he's spent all of his career because he's loyal and he's happy here. Thank you, Mark. You definitely are one of the best people in baseball, hands down.

Basically if the Sox replaced Iguchi with Richar you would be taking out the net effect of the increase in payroll from the Buehrle signing.

I think the Sox will move two starters, but they could very well just move one. If they moved one starter (Contreras = 9 m), plus Dye (via walk or trade = 7 M), Iguchi (3.25), Uribe (4.15), Pods (2.9), Mack (2.75), Erstad (1), and Cintron (1.9) than you are talking about 31.95 million dollars in cut payroll.

Now I'm not saying other guys won't get raises, but I think you could almost non-tender Crede and that would factor in any contractual or arbitration raises (if the Sox opted to non-tender him). This means you would have some money freed up to get guys if you wanted to.

If the club wanted to move Thome than you would be closer to 40 million freed up (plus the raise of Buehrle's contract of ~ 4 million based upon the average of the 4/56) so more like 35 million (factoring in Buerhle's signing).

That gives the Sox some options. Albeit they would also have numerous holes to fill but the rotation wouldn't be one of those holes.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 04:03 PM)
Doesn't this actually make Mark MORE attractive to possible trade partners, since he won't be a "rental" anymore and his salary would be locked in for five years?

;) :D

That would be the ultimate heel turn by Kenny Williams to trade him on July 31st anyway!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 04:03 PM)
Doesn't this actually make Mark MORE attractive to possible trade partners, since he won't be a "rental" anymore and his salary would be locked in for five years?

;) :D

:chair

that's not even funny! heh

Edited by toasty

Let me say this there is no doubt garland goes now, along with Contraras, I am one that didn't really care if they signed buerhle and still don't but this means others will not get signed and will put a crimp in what we spend in the offseason. The payroll will stay the same as this year so again math needs to be done.

Now for those who slammed JR and KW. For all the people swearing on the board and cussing at sox management please put some mustard on those crap sandwiches your about to eat. He gave you teenagers what you wanted, I hope a million dollars a win is good enough, and please try to get to the park more often to spend your macdonalds money OH AND MAKE SURE YOU STRAIGHTEN YOUR NAME TAGS.

Edited by quickman

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 02:07 PM)
Let me say this there is no doubt garland goes now, along with Contraras, I am one that didn't really care if they signed buerhle and still don't but this means others will not get signed and will put a crimp in what we spend in the offseason. The payroll will stay the same as this year so again math needs to be done.

Now for those who slammed JR and KW. For all the people swearing on the board and cussing at sox management please put some mustard on those crap sandwiches your about to eat. He gave you teenagers what you wanted, I hope a million dollars a win is good enough, and please try to get to the park more often to spend your macdonalds money.

If he dumps other guys (and only Contreras as a starter) he should have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 million to spend.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)

Now for those who slammed JR and KW. For all the people swearing on the board and cussing at sox management please put some mustard on those crap sandwiches your about to eat. He gave you teenagers what you wanted, I hope a million dollars a win is good enough, and please try to get to the park more often to spend your macdonalds money OH AND MAKE SURE YOU STRAIGHTEN YOUR NAME TAGS.

Please.....get your old ass off the high horse. I will never take back what I said about KW, that doesn't change at all. I give JR credit though.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)

Wow, how big of a stick is up your ass? Relax. He re-signed. Everyone is happy, and you have to come spew this negative crap in here? Give it a rest.