KW says Sox in "Buyer's Mode"

I know that things have not materialized up to this point of the season, but I don't expect [the players] to give up and I don't expect them to think that I've given up. We're going to keep pushing it. We're going to still go out there and acquire some players that I think will help us make a run. That is in the short term and the long term."

"I hope to be in a buyer's mode, quote unquote, which is pretty atypical for a team that is as far back in the standings as we are, but that's who we are," Williams said. "We have to keep pushing the envelope."

The White Sox are 13 games behind Detroit and 12 games behind Cleveland in the American League Central race, but manager Ozzie Guillen also hopes that the Buehrle signing will show that management has not given up on 2007.

"The White Sox organization is showing people that we are trying and we aren't going to throw the white flag," he said. "Hopefully those guys continue to play for us and keep playing hard and make this thing more fun."

Link

Kenny saying "buyer's mode" is different than a GM like Omar Minaya saying the Mets are in "buyers mode". I'm taking this to mean that if (or, more appropriatey, when) Kenny trades Dye, Iguchi and/or Contreras, he's looking for young players who can step in and play within the next year. I think he feels that he's built up a strong enough rotation to where the Sox won't have to go through a total "rebuilding" mode, so he wants guys like Richar who, at the very least, will be competing for a spot in 2008.

I don't take this to mean the Sox will be offering Gio Gonzalez and Ryan Sweeney for Ken Griffey in an effort to save 2007.

Um..........yeah.

So, I'm just assuming that KW will still be smart enough to move Contreras to whoever gives us the best deal, Iguchi either via trade now or let him walk after '07 and let Richar have a shot, Dye traded to whoever and let Sweeney play RF for '07.

And so help me god, if I have to see anyone named Podsednik or Erstad on this roster in '08...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 11:49 PM)
Kenny saying "buyer's mode" is different than a GM like Omar Minaya saying the Mets are in "buyers mode". I'm taking this to mean that if (or, more appropriatey, when) Kenny trades Dye, Iguchi and/or Contreras, he's looking for young players who can step in and play within the next year. I think he feels that he's built up a strong enough rotation to where the Sox won't have to go through a total "rebuilding" mode, so he wants guys like Richar who, at the very least, will be competing for a spot in 2008.

I don't take this to mean the Sox will be offering Gio Gonzalez and Ryan Sweeney for Ken Griffey in an effort to save 2007.

This wouldn't be a bad scenario. Don't give up too much, but at the same time try making some deals you would in the offseason now to see if they would work for the future.

i do think it's funny that at places like ESPN you have two under .500 teams that are double digits in games behind in the Yankees and White Sox and yet the Yankees are supposedly " in it" and the Sox have no chance. In reality, they are both most likely out of it. However, if i had to pick a team more likely to make a run, it would be the Sox. Their pitching is a ton better than NY's and if the KW could somehow acquire some bullpen talent then it's possible they could make an unlikely run.

It sounds to me like KW is saying he's not looking for young prospects in the lower levels. I think he's wanting young guys that can contribute right away. Guys like Khalil Greene, Pelfrey,Broxton who have alot of potential but are not necessarily household names yet.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 04:49 AM)

Yeah, that's the way I took it too. He's definitely not in it to get some old vets to help us compete this year, but rather interested in trading for young, ML-ready players. Like acquiring a Matt Kemp or Jacob Ellsbury.

QUOTE(Lemon_44 @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 12:06 AM)
i do think it's funny that at places like ESPN you have two under .500 teams that are double digits in games behind in the Yankees and White Sox and yet the Yankees are supposedly " in it" and the Sox have no chance. In reality, they are both most likely out of it. However, if i had to pick a team more likely to make a run, it would be the Sox. Their pitching is a ton better than NY's and if the KW could somehow acquire some bullpen talent then it's possible they could make an unlikely run.

The Yankees are 8.5 out in the Wild Card, 10 out in the East, and actually have an offense. The Sox are 13 out in the Central, 12 out in the Wild Card, and have to go 51-25 simply to win 90 games.

It's virtually impossible for the Sox, while the Yankees actually have the talent up and down their roster to put together such a run.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 01:18 AM)
The Yankees are 8.5 out in the Wild Card, 10 out in the East, and actually have an offense. The Sox are 13 out in the Central, 12 out in the Wild Card, and have to go 51-25 simply to win 90 games.

It's virtually impossible for the Sox, while the Yankees actually have the talent up and down their roster to put together such a run.

Not to mention we have to leap 2 serious contenders in the division. With as many games left against division oppenents it's conceivable to catch one team. To catch 2 that are both double digit games ahead would be near impossible.

QUOTE(TheHolyBovine @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 01:26 AM)
Exactly. This is KW's way of letting other teams know that he won't be giving anyone away.

The other GMs aren't stupid though. They know what's up. The only thing these quotes might effect, are fan perception.

I think they're out of the slump that has held 'em back. Playoffs? It's too late, yeah, far too late, but a respectable mark at the end of the season after all the chicken littles screamed 70 or less wins is do-able. The slump seems to be done with and funnier things have happened in baseball. My way of looking at it is he's saying he has faith in our guys. (and if we can get rid of Count to NYM for something sweet, it'd just be icing on the cake)

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 10:49 PM)

Sandy Alomar is back in the bigs, how about Sweeney for him straight up, or whomever is the best reliever for the Barons at the time. Gio's safe, you don't trade a guy then reaquire him, then trade him again. Or, Jack Egbert for any injury prone, washed up former closer, middle reliever? Just not Schnur, the fans in B'ham demand the Schnur!

Edited by JPN366

i have been really surprise i haven't seen any fire kw post yet. not that i want to be the the first..... i am glad MB was resign...

if kw is going to be in a buyers mode, i hope he does the smart trade and max out all he can.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 04:49 AM)

Exactly. KW might trade some prospects or players. Yet it won't be for a 3 month rental. It might be for say a veteran bullpen arm who's under contract for 08 or young player ready to step in a position of need like SS or the OF.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 11:49 PM)

I hope not. With KW, you never know. He has that football mentality of it not being over until the math says so. Baseball is different. The Sox season is essentially over. I hope KW is smart and trades the FA's who can help us next year.

Bob

Does anyone think KW was going to come out and say "hey, fire sale here! Get your veteran talent here - all for the low low price of your best 2008+ projected prospects!"???

That would be stupid not just among the GM's, but also in broadcasting to the fan base something akin to "we give up on 2007".

He is looking at 2008 and 2009. If it helps 2007, hey, great, bonus.