Thome's Quest for 500

SouthSidePride05

What's everyone's prediction on when Thome will hit #500?

My prediction: On Elvis Night, Friday August 10 vs Seattle.

Will there be much hype, locally and nationally, leading up to #500, and will it be a big deal? Will it be like any other homerun or will it generate a sellout crowd (if it's at home) with a playoff type atmosphere? I can't wait for this.. it's something to really look forward to in the 2nd half!! :headbang

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 08:14 PM)
What's everyone's prediction on when Thome will hit #500?

My prediction: On Elvis Night, Friday August 10 vs Seattle.

Will there be much hype, locally and nationally, leading up to #500, and will it be a big deal? Will it be like any other homerun or will it generate a sellout crowd (if it's at home) with a playoff type atmosphere? I can't wait for this.. it's something to really look forward to in the 2nd half!! :headbang

August 27th. Because it's mine and Thome's birthday. It's only fitting.

Save for a miracle run that we all know isn't going to happen, Thome's quest could be th emain story of our second half. They plugged it in the ESPN Baseball tonight first half recap- they ended with Ortiz, Thome, and Bonds' last home runs teasing that they all reach where they're going.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jul 12, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)
I just hope that it happens in Cleveland.

Not that it means much but MLB.com has predicted that Thome would hit 500 9/2/2007 at.....

CLEVELAND. My prediction.... July 29th vs Tor!!! 17 games and only 13 home runs needed! I know a long shot but i just want to be there when it happens!

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)
Not that it means much but MLB.com has predicted that Thome would hit 500 9/2/2007 at.....

CLEVELAND. My prediction.... July 29th vs Tor!!! 17 games and only 13 home runs needed! I know a long shot but i just want to be there when it happens!

haha, good luck with that

• 1 month later...
QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 21, 2007 -> 01:58 PM)
his production has dropped WAY off. Is there any mystery that he is starting a dramatic decline?

Jim Thome, even when healthy, has traditionally been one of the streakiest hitters in baseball. I'll give you hsi splits from 04, when he was healthy, as an example:

April/Mar. .364 .456 .714 1.170

May .253 .371 .560 .931

June .306 .430 .816 1.246

July .229 .345 .417 .762

August .264 .412 .560 .972

Sept./Oct .225 .364 .380 .744

Even when he was pretty healthy, in a season where he hit 42 home runs, his numbers swung up and down like crazy. You can look back at earlier seasons and see the same thing (hit .212 in April of 02, etc.) If he's actually hurting, then he's hurting. But just because his numbers are down for a month doesn't necessarily mean he's finished.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 21, 2007 -> 06:14 PM)
Jim Thome, even when healthy, has traditionally been one of the streakiest hitters in baseball. I'll give you hsi splits from 04, when he was healthy, as an example:

April/Mar. .364 .456 .714 1.170

May .253 .371 .560 .931

June .306 .430 .816 1.246

July .229 .345 .417 .762

August .264 .412 .560 .972

Sept./Oct .225 .364 .380 .744

Even when he was pretty healthy, in a season where he hit 42 home runs, his numbers swung up and down like crazy. You can look back at earlier seasons and see the same thing (hit .212 in April of 02, etc.) If he's actually hurting, then he's hurting. But just because his numbers are down for a month doesn't necessarily mean he's finished.

When was the last time he slugged under .500? How bout under .530? Shoot, whens the last time he hit under 30 hr's? The guy is declining, and declining fast.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 21, 2007 -> 06:40 PM)
When was the last time he slugged under .500? How bout under .530? Shoot, whens the last time he hit under 30 hr's? The guy is declining, and declining fast.

Up until 3 weeks ago, he was second in the AL in OBP. I'll take that decline. He's as streaky as they come. He may hit 8 homers the next 2 weeks. The thing is when he's hitting, he's also walking a lot and not striking out much. When he's not going well, everything pretty much goes with him. He'll be fine. The answer to both of your questions is 2005.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 21, 2007 -> 07:20 PM)
Up until 3 weeks ago, he was second in the AL in OBP. I'll take that decline. He's as streaky as they come. He may hit 8 homers the next 2 weeks. The thing is when he's hitting, he's also walking a lot and not striking out much. When he's not going well, everything pretty much goes with him. He'll be fine.

Well if OBP is all you want from him then thats good. But his eye isnt something that delines, his power stroke does.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 21, 2007 -> 07:21 PM)
Well if OBP is all you want from him then thats good. But his eye isnt something that delines, his power stroke does.

Right now he's on pace to hit 30 or 31 homers if he gets to 500 ABs which is actually pretty good. Putting that into perspective, Willie Mays hit 660 homers in 10880 at bats. About the same rate the declining Jim Thome is hitting them this season. He has the best home run per at bat ratio on the team. Better than Konerko, better than Dye, better than even Josh Fields. This is right after he's been sort of cold, chances are it will go up.

Edited by Dick Allen