Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
There's something about watching it on a big screen with the sound of a projector faintly in the background that I love.

the theater i go to has a digital projection...so no sound of a reel. Kinda takes away from the classic movie going experience. There are a few other theaters around that aren't into the digital yet...so they still got it.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the wife and I have recently become addicted to Redbox, and have seen a whole slew of DVDs over the past couple weeks... Here are some quick thoughts.

Saving Sarah Marshall was a must see. This was second to 40 year old virgin in that group of movies (superbad, knocked up, etc). Just hilarious. We actually watched it again, and it was even funnier the second time around.

Rightous Kill was great as well. To be honest we rented it because Pacino and De Niro were in it, but wow. I won't spoil anything, but it got me.

Hancock was god awful. I kept waiting for something to grab my attention, but it never did. When was the last good Will Smith movie? Legend was a bomb as well.

Wall-E was a good movie. I don't know about all of the hype it got as one of the greats, but I did enjoy it.

Eagle Eye I commented on above. I just couldn't get into the movie the whole time I was watching it. It didn't have one shred of believability, and I kept thinking that I had seen it before. Then I thought of War Games, and it was over.

Get Smart I enjoyed. They really didn't give Steve Carrell as much of the Maxwell Smart lines and tics as I thought they would, but it wasn't bad.

I saw Synecdoche, NY over the weekend. It's Charlie Kaufman's directorial debut (he also wrote the script). It's an odd movie (like most of what he has penned). It's the story of Caden Cotard who is an innovative theater director/very ill/or total hypochondriac. His wife is an artist, who leaves him (with his daughter) to pursue her art in Berlin along with her very sketchy friend. Around the time his wife leaves him Caden meets an eccentric woman (Hazel) who is pretty strong in her pursuit of Caden. Caden wins a genius grant, and decides to stage a huge monumental play about his life. Which is falling apart even more--his second marriage (to an actress in the play) falls apart because he is completely uninvolved and obsessed with all that he has lost in life. He builds a life-size replica of the town where he lives in an old warehouse and begins staging the play (which never actually opens for an audience). Near the end we see Caden interacting with the actor that plays him, Hazel, the actress that plays Hazel.

The movie is kind of hard to explain because Kaufman has no real respect for time--because the movie spans probably 20-50 years of Caden's life, the viewer is always kind of in the dark about the timing of these events. Basically it's a movie about life--and how life is sometimes nothing more than a 60 year long death. The closest analogy I can think of for the movie is a Kafka novel (The Trial is briefly discussed) or maybe the Bob Dylan song Tangled Up in Blue. It's an absurd movie that is often confusing and baffling. But it's a really, really, really honest movie. For me it was kind of a like a work of abstract art, and you don't know exactly what it is, but something in it just draws a really visceral reaction. I really like this movie--it's not for everyone. But there's something raw, aching, and true under all the absurdity and I loved that.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
I've had that one on my list of movies to see. Is it still in theaters?

I live in Bufu nowhere--so it just opened at our art theater. So, for people that live in actual civilization, I don't know.

I was so shocked that it hasn't been getting nominated for anything. The performances are also great. One of the weird things about life, I suppose.

But if you can see it, do. It's brilliant.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 08:55 AM)
So the wife and I have recently become addicted to Redbox, and have seen a whole slew of DVDs over the past couple weeks... Here are some quick thoughts.

Saving Sarah Marshall was a must see. This was second to 40 year old virgin in that group of movies (superbad, knocked up, etc). Just hilarious. We actually watched it again, and it was even funnier the second time around.

Rightous Kill was great as well. To be honest we rented it because Pacino and De Niro were in it, but wow. I won't spoil anything, but it got me.

Hancock was god awful. I kept waiting for something to grab my attention, but it never did. When was the last good Will Smith movie? Legend was a bomb as well.

Wall-E was a good movie. I don't know about all of the hype it got as one of the greats, but I did enjoy it.

Eagle Eye I commented on above. I just couldn't get into the movie the whole time I was watching it. It didn't have one shred of believability, and I kept thinking that I had seen it before. Then I thought of War Games, and it was over.

Get Smart I enjoyed. They really didn't give Steve Carrell as much of the Maxwell Smart lines and tics as I thought they would, but it wasn't bad.

I completely disagree. That movie was terrible and predictable.

Can you honestly tell me you didn't figure out Pacino was the killer within the first 20 minutes?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)

Can you honestly tell me you didn't figure out Pacino was the killer within the first 20 minutes?

Maybe it was a bad night because I totally missed it. Usually with those movies I figure it out right away or the end scenario is so unrealistic that the movie sucks. This one was neither for me.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
Is that the one where Tom Hanks tries to save Sarah Marshall deep behind enemy lines in WWII?

;)

No no, it's the one where Steve Zaun and Jack Black save their friend, Amanda Peet, from her boyfriend that runs her life (played by the guy from American Pie).

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
Maybe it was a bad night because I totally missed it. Usually with those movies I figure it out right away or the end scenario is so unrealistic that the movie sucks. This one was neither for me.

I think it depended entirely on having Pacino and De Niro as its stars. It was decent enough for a slow night rental, but even those two couldn't save it for me.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)

I figured it out just watching the trailer.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
I figured it out just watching the trailer.

Haha, I don't doubt that at all.

I'm pretty sure I figured it out the second time they showed someone get murdered, and didn't show the murderer. They were pushing it so hard to make you think it had to be De Niro, that I knew it had to be Pacino.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
I saw Synecdoche, NY over the weekend. It's Charlie Kaufman's directorial debut (he also wrote the script). It's an odd movie (like most of what he has penned). It's the story of Caden Cotard who is an innovative theater director/very ill/or total hypochondriac. His wife is an artist, who leaves him (with his daughter) to pursue her art in Berlin along with her very sketchy friend. Around the time his wife leaves him Caden meets an eccentric woman (Hazel) who is pretty strong in her pursuit of Caden. Caden wins a genius grant, and decides to stage a huge monumental play about his life. Which is falling apart even more--his second marriage (to an actress in the play) falls apart because he is completely uninvolved and obsessed with all that he has lost in life. He builds a life-size replica of the town where he lives in an old warehouse and begins staging the play (which never actually opens for an audience). Near the end we see Caden interacting with the actor that plays him, Hazel, the actress that plays Hazel.

The movie is kind of hard to explain because Kaufman has no real respect for time--because the movie spans probably 20-50 years of Caden's life, the viewer is always kind of in the dark about the timing of these events. Basically it's a movie about life--and how life is sometimes nothing more than a 60 year long death. The closest analogy I can think of for the movie is a Kafka novel (The Trial is briefly discussed) or maybe the Bob Dylan song Tangled Up in Blue. It's an absurd movie that is often confusing and baffling. But it's a really, really, really honest movie. For me it was kind of a like a work of abstract art, and you don't know exactly what it is, but something in it just draws a really visceral reaction. I really like this movie--it's not for everyone. But there's something raw, aching, and true under all the absurdity and I loved that.

A few of us here were left scratching our heads. I'll say this, it is an ambitious film.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
A few of us here were left scratching our heads. I'll say this, it is an ambitious film.

Yeah, I went with a big group, and a couple of people were like, um? I think I like it? Others (me) liked it and others hated it. I think it really is just like piece of abstract art.

But I also love just about everything Charlie Kaufman.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)

I'm pretty sure I figured it out the second time they showed someone get murdered, and didn't show the murderer. They were pushing it so hard to make you think it had to be De Niro, that I knew it had to be Pacino.

Exactly

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
Yeah, I went with a big group, and a couple of people were like, um? I think I like it? Others (me) liked it and others hated it. I think it really is just like piece of abstract art.

But I also love just about everything Charlie Kaufman.

IIRC, you're a big fan of PS Hoffman too? Have you seen 'The Savages' or 'Before The Devil Knows You're Dead'?

Both pretty solid.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
IIRC, you're a big fan of PS Hoffman too? Have you seen 'The Savages' or 'Before The Devil Knows You're Dead'?

Both pretty solid.

Yeah, I like him. I liked the Savages a lot. Really funny sweet movie (although I admittedly have a bit of a dark sense of humor). The ending was a tad saccarine--but overall I really liked it. I haven't seen Before The Devil Knows You're Dead--it's been on my list for a long time.

I liked Doubt too, and I think the movie was a lot more ambiguous (as to the guilt of Father Flynn) because PSH is so good.

..and then when you see that you just laugh wondering why

DeNiro

was so emotionally

pissed like he did it

reading

Pacino's

notebook. Stupid. 50 Cent had a mouthful of s*** in the movie as well.

Variety confirmed the list of movie trailers to be shown during the Superbowl

Confirmed for this year’s roster are high-profile titles like Paramount’s “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen,” “Star Trek” and “G.I. Joe“; Sony’s “Angels and Demons“; DreamWorks Animation’s “Monsters vs. Aliens“; and Universal’s “Land of the Lost” and its fourth installment in “The Fast and the Furious” franchise. Disney is also planning to use the game to raise the profile for Pixar’s next toon, “Up.”