Films Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 10:53 PM)
I saw El Orfanato (The Orphanage) tonight. It was kinda creepy, and I liked the ending.

That movie creeped the hell out of me.

I saw Tell No One over the weekend. It's a French thriller about a man who hears his wife being killed--but he is attacked and is unable to save her (he's hit with a baseball bat, and falls into the water--he is found in a coma on the dock). He stays in a coma for a couple of days, recovers and wakes up to find that his wife is dead (her father, a cop, identifies her body). Eight years pass. On the anniversary of his wife's death he gets an e-mail with a link to a live video feed. On the feed he sees his (supposedly) long dead wife. Around the same time, two bodies are found near the lake where his wife was "killed," the bodies appear to have been from around the same time as his wife's murder. The discover of these bodies reignites the entire tragedy, so that Alex (the husband) is suspected of killing his wife (and later in the movie his wife's best friend). There are a few twists along the way--the police find a key to a safety deposit box on one of the bodies in the box is a gun and pictures of Alex's wife after what appears to be a severe beating. Alex runs from the police (who want to arrest him for, well, a crapload of stuff) and tries to figure out what happened to his wife. Who beat her? Why was she beaten? Is she dead? If she isn't dead, why did she disappear and where is she now.

I wanted to see the movie because I read a review that compared it to Vertigo (one of my all-time fave movies). I don't think it's Vertigo good--but it definitely feels like it could be a Hitchcock (if he was alive and making movies today). The movie is rather long. But it's really suspenseful and will keep you on the edge of your seat. The acting is good and the story is better (and resolved in a most satisfactory way). Highly recommended for a good nail biter/well done film.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Sep 28, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
Ebert's been way off this year on some of his positive reviews as well. 3 out of 4 stars for Hancock?

$$$. Ebert is a big critic. He's given positive reviews to worse movies before. (And I'm not talking about the low budget indie-flicks which 5 other people might like.) That aside, Hancock wasn't all that bad. It had plenty of plot holes, but it was entertaining.

If you are just going off of Ebert's star system I could see you thinking he was way off. But the beauty of Ebert are his written reviews, which will let you know at the end whether this is a movie you will like by naming all its faults and weaknesses, giving you the option to decide whether those weaknesses are something you care about.

I saw Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. Essentially it's Juno but not as funny or as entertaining. Lots of teen angst. I'm totally indifferent to it. My girlfriend liked it, but I cannot, for the life of me, understand why.

Also saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Some parts are hilarious, but not the overall good movie that I was expecting. Worth seeing though.

I watched "Midnight Meat Train" on Comcast - On Demand last night. This is a Clive Barker flick that the movie studio messed around with. So now it's free on comcast.

Its a about a photographer who attempts to track down a serial killer dubbed the "Subway Butcher" and discovers more than he bargained for under the city streets.

Vinine Jones plays the serial killer and is a pretty scary dude.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
I watched "Midnight Meat Train" on Comcast - On Demand last night. This is a Clive Barker flick that the movie studio messed around with. So now it's free on comcast.

Its a about a photographer who attempts to track down a serial killer dubbed the "Subway Butcher" and discovers more than he bargained for under the city streets.

Vinine Jones plays the serial killer and is a pretty scary dude.

I remember seeing previews for that in theaters but never saw it come out. I'll have to check that out onDemand.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Oct 11, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
Yes, has anyone heard anything?

Going to see Body of Lies tonight, looks pretty good. Anyone see that yet?

I saw Body of Lies Friday and enjoyed it. It wasn't the best but it was entertaining none the less.

What did you think?

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Oct 12, 2008 -> 03:41 PM)
I saw Body of Lies Friday and enjoyed it. It wasn't the best but it was entertaining none the less.

What did you think?

I liked it. Was entertaining and suspenseful. Really showed the travesties of the Middle East.

Saw Appaloosa last night.

The plot line was pretty stale - your basic town-run-by-evil-rancher, hired guns come to town to clean up, type thing. Love triangle thrown in.

Acting was superb though - it was like a cast of Hollywood's craggiest men. Ed Harris, Viggo Mortenson, Lance Henrickson, etc. All that was missing was Willem Dafoe. They all did a great job with the characters, which is mostly what made it worth watching. Sets and settings were well done too, made for a belieable feel.

As westerns go, it was pretty good, but not great, overall. I'd give it 3 stars out of 4.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 09:09 AM)
Saw Appaloosa last night.

The plot line was pretty stale - your basic town-run-by-evil-rancher, hired guns come to town to clean up, type thing. Love triangle thrown in.

Acting was superb though - it was like a cast of Hollywood's craggiest men. Ed Harris, Viggo Mortenson, Lance Henrickson, etc. All that was missing was Willem Dafoe. They all did a great job with the characters, which is mostly what made it worth watching. Sets and settings were well done too, made for a belieable feel.

As westerns go, it was pretty good, but not great, overall. I'd give it 3 stars out of 4.

what did you think of Ed Harris' musical debut?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 10:37 AM)
what did you think of Ed Harris' musical debut?

Oh jeez, did he do the music? I knew he directed and co-wrote.

I am a bit of movie music snob. I personally didn't like the music much. In fact, I thought at times, it took away from the movie. Some moments were good, but overall, I found the score to be substandard.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
Watched "The Happening" last night. As brutal as everyone said. I was hoping with the terribly low expectations going in that maybe I'd kind of enjoy it. What a waste of time.

Heh. Right now you are in Phase 1 of a "The Happening" viewer. A feeling of disgust. A feeling you lost 2 hours of your life.

Phase 2 is more contemplative. Questions arise. You start to replay it in your head. Mark Wahlberg talking like a 14 year old with his balls in a vice. The man with his arm ripped off by the lion. The scene where the kids are shot. You start laughing hysterically.

Phase 3. Acceptance. YOu realize, that in some strange way, this trainwreck of a movie was more interesting in its awful execution than previous given credit. Behold, M. Night Shamylan, the 21st century Ed Wood.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
Oh jeez, did he do the music? I knew he directed and co-wrote.

I am a bit of movie music snob. I personally didn't like the music much. In fact, I thought at times, it took away from the movie. Some moments were good, but overall, I found the score to be substandard.

http://www.the9513.com/actor-ed-harris-sin...coming-western/

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)

Hm. there wasn't much worded-music, except in the end credits. I didn't pay attention.

The actual score was written by Jeff Beal, who, looks like he's mostly done TV and low budget stuff before. It showed.