2007 Post ASB MLB Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody else feel the same as I do in that a Cubs victory, any of them, won't effect my life day to day and in all reality would make me a little happy being able to see certain people (father-in-law, mother-in-law, sister-in-law, uncle, bosses, neighbor who is a very close friend, best friend/godfather to my daughter) as happy as I was in 2005?

I also have to stop and think that in a VERY short time we might be seeing a Red Sox, White Sox, and Cubs Series win, something many, many, many people never got to see. From a baseball fans perspective, that's pretty damn cool.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 11:10 AM)
Moron shirt

And so begins the flubby stupidity. The WS predictions are a riot, and I can't wait for the shots of the flubby fans praying, pointing to the sky, bringing goats into the game, reversing made up curses by silly mystical crap.

Nice name kid. LOL

It's not that bad. Better than Shaniqua or Gastrol or something.

I just get a kick out of everyone going crazy now that the Cubs are going to the playoffs.

This is for all you New York transplants who live in Port St. Lucie, root for the Mets and love Pedro Martinez.

Because you need to know this.

He doesn't love you back.

And he hates coming here.

In fact, after spending a chunk of the current baseball season on the Treasure Coast, rehabbing his right shoulder after undergoing rotator-cuff surgery last year, Martinez said he'd rather retire than endure another rehab assignment at the Mets minor-league headquarters in Port St. Lucie.

"When you're in Port St. Lucie, my God, I don't wish that on anybody," Martinez told reporters who cover the Mets last week. "My best advice to everybody would be, 'Stay healthy. Pitch in the big leagues and don't go to Port St. Lucie. Don't do that.' "

Nice, huh?

We opened our arms and embraced him every time he showed up at Tradition Field. We came out to the ballpark and showered him with cheers, openly showing our support as he worked his way back to New York. We treated him like baseball royalty, even though he has yet to fulfill his championship promise to the Mets.

And this is what we get?

I don't know about you, but it makes me feel like a schmuck.

Same as I felt three years ago, when then-Mets outfielder Mike Cameron, talking about teammate Cliff Floyd's rehab stint in Port St. Lucie, didn't hesitate to slam us.

Remember this verbal shot?

"He's been down in that hole for how long -- a month and a half?," Cameron said to the New York Daily News in May 2004. "I told them: If I get hurt, don't send me down there. I'll go AWOL."

Apparently, things are worse in Port St. Lucie than I thought.

And I live in St. Lucie West.

Look, I know the city has its problems. It was poorly planned from the start, grossly overdeveloped and too-often mismanaged. The traffic can be terrible and the crime rate is up. The schools aren't what they should be. There's no public riverfront and, despite being the largest municipality in the tri-county area, no bridge to the beaches.

There's no downtown hub, which prevents Port St. Lucie from having the small-town charm of Sebastian, Vero Beach, Fort Pierce, Jensen Beach and Stuart.

All of these problems need to be addressed. But my guess is, that's not what bothers Martinez, who clearly has no interest in moving here and becoming a member of our community, or any of the other Mets who dread the short time they spend here each year.

My guess is, they don't like it here because there isn't enough nightlife -- not enough dance clubs, or strip clubs, or places they can find trouble after midnight.

"After a whole six weeks of Chili's, what more is there to do?" Cameron said back when. "That's how bad it is. We started going to Ruby Tuesday."

What, they don't like Duffy's?

OK, so Port St. Lucie doesn't have any nocturnal hot spots. We don't have any nudie bars. We don't even have a Hooters.

But is that what the Mets come here for? I thought they came here for spring training, to prepare for the season. I thought they came here to rehab their injuries. I didn't know they came here looking for a wild time.

Thing is, we give them VIP treatment, including diplomatic immunity, when they come here. As I wrote after Cameron's criticism: "We let them off with warnings when they're caught speeding on our streets. We don't arrest them when they urinate in public in our shopping-center parking lots. We file no charges when they beat up our pizza-delivery men."

And, oh, by the way, we spent $10 million to refurbish Tradition Field, just to make sure the Mets kept coming back.

Maybe we made a mistake.

We don't want Port St. Lucie to be Fort Lauderdale. And if Pedro and his buddies don't like it here, let them go somewhere else.

I hear Vero Beach is looking for a team.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
I remember being worried for WHARRIS when the Bears lost the Superbowl.

I wonder if fathom's going to make it through game 1 of the playoffs if the Cubs win it.

I'll be ok, as I know at least the Yanks or Red Sox are possibly lurking.