2007 Post ASB MLB Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomko to show Giants what they're missing

Brett Tomko, who spent the 2004 and 2005 seasons in San Francisco, gets the start Tuesday night at 7:15 PT as San Diego stays firmly in the mix for a playoff spot. Tomko, who was signed too late to take part in the '07 postseason, will oppose Matt Cain.  Full story >

4-11, 5.36

Ouch, babe. Someone's got a good sense of humor at MLB.com

LOL, i was just catching the end of the Cubs game and Aramis Ramirez just gets tossed for throwing a fit about the strikezone and telling the ump off as he was walking back to the dugout in the 9th inning. Lou walks out of the dugout and says "What did he do?" and the umpire tells Lou what happened, and I see Lou mouth the words "Well, what are you gonna do" very nonchalant and just wanders back to the dugout. The guy is just funny to watch.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 02:10 AM)
Man, it be pretty cool if the Rockies or the Braves win the WC.

The Braves need to win out, yes? If they got to the playoffs they'd be favorites, in my mind. Their bullpen ain't anything but they can mash and, with three man rotations, nobody can even come close to touching Smoltz - Hudson.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 09:21 PM)
The Braves need to win out, yes? If they got to the playoffs they'd be favorites, in my mind. Their bullpen ain't anything but they can mash and, with three man rotations, nobody can even come close to touching Smoltz - Hudson.

Oh, yeah. Hella lineup, good enough bullpen. No dominant closer but that isn't a MUST. They've got some good relievers, though. And Smoltz-Hudson is very, very good. If they make it, they'd be very, very good. Goddamn, I'd love that.

You know what's strange? They offered us Renteria + Jo-Jo Reyes, it's believed, for Garland. For the life of me I can't quite figure out why not.

If the Braves pick up, say, Glavine next year, they should win that division easy.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 09:32 PM)
Oh, yeah. Hella lineup, good enough bullpen. No dominant closer but that isn't a MUST. They've got some good relievers, though. And Smoltz-Hudson is very, very good. If they make it, they'd be very, very good. Goddamn, I'd love that.

You know what's strange? They offered us Renteria + Jo-Jo Reyes, it's believed, for Garland. For the life of me I can't quite figure out why not.

If the Braves pick up, say, Glavine next year, they should win that division easy.

What's honestly stopping Minaya from offering half of his minor league system for Johan?

If I had one surprise to throw out this offseason, it's Johan getting traded. With a new GM in place, and the Twins not being able to develop a hitter (outside of Morneau, Mauer, and Cuddyer...they're a small payroll organization, so they need more than that), I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Minnesota take a package absolutely loaded with talent from a team willing to give it for Johan and to then start the rebuilding.

I'd put it at about 75% that the Twins shop him, 10% they get an offer they're willing to make, and 9.5% that the offer comes from the Mets. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I could easily see such a scenario playing out.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 10:05 PM)
What's honestly stopping Minaya from offering half of his minor league system for Johan?

If I had one surprise to throw out this offseason, it's Johan getting traded. With a new GM in place, and the Twins not being able to develop a hitter (outside of Morneau, Mauer, and Cuddyer...they're a small payroll organization, so they need more than that), I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Minnesota take a package absolutely loaded with talent from a team willing to give it for Johan and to then start the rebuilding.

I'd put it at about 75% that the Twins shop him, 10% they get an offer they're willing to make, and 9.5% that the offer comes from the Mets. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I could easily see such a scenario playing out.

It's very possible that the Mets trade for Santana. It's equally possible that the Braves trade for Jake Peavy. If the Mets trade for Santana, then I'll re-evaluate but otherwise, the Braves should really be very good next year, especially with Glavine.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 10:05 PM)

I don't believe that'd surprise many people. They're definitely in bind entering 2008. Cheap, offensive players are required and someone of value needs to depart.

It just doesn't seem right to let Santana go for two draft picks. Unless Minnesota is confident they can contend in 2008 -- which they can't possibly believe at this point -- some significant change is needed. Two issues have to be known before Santana is shopped: Liriano's health and Hunter's replacement. If Liriano is, perhaps, at 80%; the issue of dealing Santana for an acceptable package would probably be a certainty.

Just imagine, for example, if Minnesota acquired Kemp and Kershaw for Santana. It's almost like witnessing the birth of some continuos cycle of talent going through Minnesota. Because when Santana is traded, and the talent received for him begins to produce, someday they'll trade them for more talent.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
It's very possible that the Mets trade for Santana. It's equally possible that the Braves trade for Jake Peavy. If the Mets trade for Santana, then I'll re-evaluate but otherwise, the Braves should really be very good next year, especially with Glavine.

How are the Twins' and Padres' situations comparable in the least though? Minnesota's looking at a new GM group taking over, they'll almost certainly lose one of their franchise players, and they have absolutely no offensive talent in one of the toughest divisions in baseball. They move into a new ballpark in 09/10, and having a solid team to bring into the stadium would be a great way to open the new ballpark up. The NL West, on the other hand, is much easier to win than the AL Central, and the Padres have a much more solid core in place (Peavy and Young, along with any 3 starters they pick up on the waiver wire and any 6 arms they pick up to put in their pen...that's pretty much how their entire pitching staff works).

Also, though I'm a bit unfamiliar with the Braves system, it seemed they pretty much raped it when they traded for Teix.

Adding to that, Peavy won't be a free agent until after 2009 season (technically, it is after '08, but there's a team option worth $8 million for 2009, so I'm just counting that because there's almost no way I can see them not picking that up barring some catastrophic event).

It just seems to me that the Padres won't be looking to trade Peavy nor do the Braves have enough to acquire him. Perhaps I'm reading that wrong, but I seriously doubt that, and I'm also not sure the Braves have enough to sway the Twins to take their offer over the Mets if both were to go after Johan. I could see the Mets willing to include about 5 players simply because they'll feel as though they'll be able to resign Johan long-term.

Ugh, Padres with a huge 2 out rally to take the lead against the Giants. Definitely not a good thing, as I'd much rather see the Rockies or Phils make the playoffs. With Peavy going tomorrow, the Padres are in a great position to have at least a 1 game lead, and possible 2 games in the WC. Can't anything go right during this last week?

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 09:27 PM)
Congrats to Prince on hitting #50. It's always funny when a milestone homer is their shortest homer of the year, just like when it happened with McGwire breaking the record.

He should win the MVP. I just get the sick feeling the voters will f*** up again and give it to wright.

Edited by WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 12:00 AM)
He should win the MVP. I just get the sick feeling the voters will f*** up again and give it to wright.

Pujols should have gotten it last year, but didn't because Howard almost hit 60.

I honestly don't see any way Prince doesn't get it. 50 is a big number, and the Brewers aren't completely dead yet.

How are the Twins' and Padres' situations comparable in the least though? Minnesota's looking at a new GM group taking over, they'll almost certainly lose one of their franchise players, and they have absolutely no offensive talent in one of the toughest divisions in baseball. They move into a new ballpark in 09/10, and having a solid team to bring into the stadium would be a great way to open the new ballpark up. The NL West, on the other hand, is much easier to win than the AL Central, and the Padres have a much more solid core in place (Peavy and Young, along with any 3 starters they pick up on the waiver wire and any 6 arms they pick up to put in their pen...that's pretty much how their entire pitching staff works).

Peavy himself was talking about how he's probably going to be traded because the Padres can't afford him long-term.

Also, though I'm a bit unfamiliar with the Braves system, it seemed they pretty much raped it when they traded for Teix.

No, they've still got plenty of chips to deal.

You threw out, "What's stopping Minaya from trading for Santana?" and I said, "Nothing stops the Braves from trading for Peavy." Both are true.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 06:23 AM)
Peavy himself was talking about how he's probably going to be traded because the Padres can't afford him long-term.

That doesn't change the fact that the Padres have control of him over the next 2 years. If he's dealt, it will be after 2008, but with two years left of him, it'd be a mistake to deal him now, and Kevin Towers absolutely knows that.

No, they've still got plenty of chips to deal.

Can you tell me which pieces exactly? I looked up and down their AAA and AA rosters, and found like 6 potential prospects based on numbers, and 3 of those were relievers. I don't know scouting reports nor do I know names of some of their more talented players, so I'm a bit curious.

You threw out, "What's stopping Minaya from trading for Santana?" and I said, "Nothing stops the Braves from trading for Peavy." Both are true.

But the Padres not trading Peavy stops the Braves from trading for Peavy. I can see it after next year; not this year. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Santana were dealt this offseason for reasons already explained.