Does Owens stink?

greg775

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
i think his upside is juan pierre right now, not juan pierre of 2003....i also dont think hell be quite the base stealer pierre was/is

I actually think he could be a better base stealer, right now his only weakness is his jump and read, something you gain with major league experience. Seeing him take a bag off of I-roid was pretty impressive.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
I actually think he could be a better base stealer, right now his only weakness is his jump and read, something you gain with major league experience. Seeing him take a bag off of I-roid was pretty impressive.

IMO, Owens is a much, much better base stealer than Pods. I just hope he stays consistant with it. It's been a while since I've seen a player (well... on the sox) steal on delay steal attempts.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)

And while Podsednik doesn't give much phsyically right now, there may well be few better teachers of stolen base technique available these days. He became such a good base stealer not because he was the fastest player in the big leagues, but because he had the technique down pat. So that is one potential benefit of having those 2 on the same team for the next month or two (can we bring Pods back next year as our 1st base coach?).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
And while Podsednik doesn't give much phsyically right now, there may well be few better teachers of stolen base technique available these days. He became such a good base stealer not because he was the fastest player in the big leagues, but because he had the technique down pat. So that is one potential benefit of having those 2 on the same team for the next month or two (can we bring Pods back next year as our 1st base coach?).

PODS even did that with probably the worst first step of any prolific base stealer in our lifetime. He wasted a step, yet had such a good read and step count that he made up for it.

I hope we see Owens on the major league roster for a while. He's certainly not going to be an everyday player imo, but he's a fantastic fielder, borderline great base stealer and he can get you the occasional base hit. 4th outfielder material if you ask me.

But if we see him in the lineup everyday next season, things will get ugly.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 03:12 PM)
Another way to ask this.

Ozzie is going to have his limited power small guy at the top of the order next year no matter what. Assume this statement is correct, and then answer this question: who would you like that to be?

1. Scott Podsednik

2. Darrin Erstad

3. Jerry Owens

Owens

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 09:20 AM)
Bump

I didn't vote the first time around on this thread, but let me say that I home he is not our lead off man next year. Also, it drives me insane how slow he is to get the ball back to the infield.

and when he does... it 10 feet over everyone's head.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 11:36 AM)
I forgot about Chone Figgins... He'll likely be available in the offseason and would be a good option for leadoff and LF. Plus, if Richar doesn't pan out, we could just move Figgins to 2B and Sweeney could come up to play LF.

If the price is right, I would love to get Figgins.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 10:39 AM)
I disagree, he's worse than that.

I wonder what he would do over a full season of play. I'm guessing .241/.263/.270 with about 40 Stolen bases which Ozzie would use to justify playing him.

Football players everywhere must cringe at his slugging pct.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 12:18 PM)
I wonder if there is any way of getting Ellsbury from the Red Sox in the offseason... or to a lesser extent Crisp.

Ellsbury will end up with the White Sox in 2023....We act like Dan Snyder of the Redkins used to act...signing all these big named players at the end of their useful playing career.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 11:18 AM)
I wonder if there is any way of getting Ellsbury from the Red Sox in the offseason... or to a lesser extent Crisp.

We should draft our own Ellsbury -- problem solved. Don't have to worry about trading for anyone. We can then draft our own Clay Buchholz while we're at it.

Imagine that for a second; drafting players comparable those two with our first two selections. Seems almost impossible to expect, I know.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
We should draft our own Ellsbury -- problem solved. Don't have to worry about trading for anyone. We can then draft our own Clay Buchholz while we're at it.

Imagine that for a second; drafting players comparable those two with our first two selections. Seems almost impossible to expect, I know.

But...but...but....we don't draft high enough to get possible superstars. Any bulls*** excuse like that is null and void after we were as cheap as possible this draft.

I know it's bad to over-react concerning young prospects, but my gawd Owens just swings through the

ball so many times. Whiff.

Ditto Richar who is starting to resemble Bee Bee Richard.

The Sox have so many holes for next year as they get passed by the Royals in the standings.

I don't know what KW is going to do.

There's the potential for one of the worst teams in Sox history if the starting rotation starts to pitch the

way Jon pitched today and Jose has pitched and Danks has pitched.

A glass half full guy would see positive signs in Richar, Owens, Fields.

A glass half empty guy would see bad defense in Fields and a lotta strikeouts in all our young hitters.

Man I don't know about this team.

But I am starting to think Owens can't hit.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 05:59 PM)
I know it's bad to over-react concerning young prospects, but my gawd Owens just swings through the

ball so many times. Whiff.

Ditto Richar who is starting to resemble Bee Bee Richard.

The Sox have so many holes for next year as they get passed by the Royals in the standings.

I don't know what KW is going to do.

There's the potential for one of the worst teams in Sox history if the starting rotation starts to pitch the

way Jon pitched today and Jose has pitched and Danks has pitched.

A glass half full guy would see positive signs in Richar, Owens, Fields.

A glass half empty guy would see bad defense in Fields and a lotta strikeouts in all our young hitters.

Man I don't know about this team.

But I am starting to think Owens can't hit.

Look at the bright side, the Sox back-up catchers have driven in 2 runs this season. That's pretty impressive.