Hawk And Stone

JohnCangelosi

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 01:03 PM)
Grace is possibly the worst I've heard, I can't even watch Fox broadcasts that he does. I still can't believe he called the White Sox a "National League style ballclub."

Bob Brenley is excellent.

I'm not a very big fan of Grace in the booth...he sounds like he's still trying to be one of the guys in the clubhouse or something...but Brenley...GOOD LORD...I'd rather listen to Rosanne Barr, Fran Drescher and Rosie O'Donnell debate politics than listen to that putz. He thinks he needs to fill every second of dead air with something.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 02:11 PM)
IIRC, isn't it pretty much the Score's fault that Rooney wasn't retained?

The Score waited until the 11th hour, but John had already hired the movers when they came to him so it was a done deal. St. Louis was his dream job. He had been wanting it for over 5 years. Honestly I think he was going regardless of how much $ the Score tried to pay him, and I say good for him. Not too many people truly love their jobs as he loves his.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 01:19 PM)
The Score waited until the 11th hour, but John had already hired the movers when they came to him so it was a done deal. St. Louis was his dream job. He had been wanting it for over 5 years. Honestly I think he was going regardless of how much $ the Score tried to pay him, and I say good for him. Not too many people truly love their jobs as he loves his.

I stand corrected.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)
Can somebody please PM at the moment DJ says something insightful about baseball? Other than his regurgitated version of what Hawk says? Because I don't think I've ever heard anything insightful from DJ. Someone brought up the 'knowledge' about the other team -- very rarely does DJ know a lick about the opposing team, other than when, say, Trot Nixon stands at the plate, he'll say "He's like Darin Erstad for us -- he's just a ballplayer."

It's pathetic -- the two color men we have are absolutely brutal.

AMEN TO THAT!!! 100% AGREED!!

I think Stone has such a smooth baseball announcer voice. It's just perfect.

Same thing with Vin Scully, and to a lesser extent Joe Buck. He might not be the best announcer in the world, but he's got a great voice.

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 09:59 AM)
First of all, I have always thought that Hawk doesn't respect DJ. You can just feel it.

Nevertheless, you can hear the difference in Hawk's voice where he respects the insights his partner has, and that clearly is the case with Stone. It reminds me of the Hawk/Drysdale days back in the 80s when I was a kid.

Personally I say we don't renew Singleton and put DJ with Farmer and hire Stone if possible. The last two games have been extremely fun to watch them work together and things have flowed incredibly well between the both of them.

Unlike some in this forum I think Hawk is amongst the best. I live out of the country so I watch all games on MLB.TV and I see what the other teams have...very few are as good as Hawk if any.

Interested to hear what others have thought about the last two games???

I agree with you 100%. Hawk has zero respect for Jackson, and it makes for a terrible team. Stone and Hawk respect each other and it really makes both of them sound better. I would love to have this as our #1 combination for announcing.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 04:48 PM)
I think DJ is much better without Hawk.

I have noticed, when DJ was on a national game, he was a lot better. Seems both of them are better without the other.

Listened to them last night for the first time (Stoney and Hawk). Sounded pretty good.

I'm hoping Stone replaces one of them this offseason. Not likely, but I can hope. Even better, replace both with McDowell and Stone. That might be a fun combo of former pitchers.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 08:19 PM)

If that was the case, guess I hafta lay off blaming Mike North for why John Rooney wasn't retained. Thought North's salary was the reason why the Score only had peanuts left for Rooney.

And I like Stoney and Hawk together. It's obvious Hawk respects Stoney while he barely tolerates DJ. And DJ's better off on the Fox National broadcast replacing that pile of crap known as Tim McCarver. Just wish Fox would realize that.

QUOTE(whitem0nkey @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 09:37 AM)
I really enjoyed the past couple of days. I hope the sox can make this a permanent team. and if you feel the same please let the sox and Comcast know how you feel.

bboyer@chisox.com - brooks

csnchicagowebsite@comcastsportsnet.com - Comcast

Makes perfect sense to hound the marketing guy with this. Especially since his job is to get butts in the seats at the park instead of at home in front of the boob tube.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 10:40 AM)
Makes perfect sense to hound the marketing guy with this. Especially since his job is to get butts in the seats at the park instead of at home in front of the boob tube.

Ok wise guy, who is the correct person to email this?

If you want to criticize provide an alternative.

EDIT: Also if you think a bad broadcast booth is better for attendance than a good broadcast booth you are wrong. attandance and TV rating are related and they both help each other.

Edited by whitem0nkey

QUOTE(whitem0nkey @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 03:53 PM)
Ok wise guy, who is the correct person to email this?

If you want to criticize provide an alternative.

Not answering for her, but the Comcast one makes sense, as does the Tribune Company, since they own WGN.

No idea. But I know it's not the marketing guy.

Correct. It seems like on internet message boards, there's been an overabundance of "email Brooks Boyer" on anything concerning the White Sox. Boyer is not in charge of broadcasting. The internet is a wealth of information and it baffles me why people can't look stuff up before posting "email Brooks Boyer".

On the main White Sox site, click on Roster, then click on Front Office. Scroll down and there it is for everyone, a section on Broadcasting and Business Development. The guy in charge is Bob Grim (and he has been the one in charge, for years and years). Bob is the Sr. Director of Business Development and Broadcasting.

Bob is the guy to contact (no I don't have his email address) but I suspect he knows all about the Steve Stone love, Singleton's contract expiring, fans varying degrees of unhappiness with Harrelson/DJ/Farmer/Singleton and so on. But if people want to weigh in with their opinion, he is the guy to contact with the White Sox.

For Comcast, WGN, and 670 AM, they all have a sr. management contact too.

QUOTE(whitem0nkey @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 09:53 AM)
EDIT: Also if you think a bad broadcast booth is better for attendance than a good broadcast booth you are wrong. attandance and TV rating are related and they both help each other.

Again, it makes perfect sense that folks would flock to the park to see the game because they LOVE watching it on tv.

In my case I pay dearly to watch them in person so I don't have to hear the God awful yaping from the tv. I know more folks who watch the tv muted and turn on the radio than who like Hawk's mouth.

And for the record I didn't comment on the "bad booth". Just corrected your suggestion to email Boyer.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)
If the White Sox wanted to increase attendance, fan interest, revenues etc. they would hire Steve Stone and re-hiring John Rooney would be a good thing also.

They should bring in Vin Scully while they're at it. And if the Sox really wanted to get some good publicity going they should fire Mike Murphy and stick Rongey in that time slot 5 days a week, that would create quite the buzz.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 10:41 AM)
If the White Sox wanted to increase attendance, fan interest, revenues etc. they would hire Steve Stone and re-hiring John Rooney would be a good thing also.

FYI, the Sox don't employ the radio personalities.