2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 09:15 PM)
You know he wants to be better then him. What do you want him to say- I want to be better then Jordan and I think I am?

Well of course, I don't think you go into the NBA thinking "I wanna be the 2nd best to ever play."

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 10:27 PM)
I'm as big of a Jordan as the GOAT as anyone, but even I have to admit that Kobe is pretty dang close. Kobe is a better outside shooter than Jordan ever was. But overall Jordan is slightly better offensively and defensively. Jordan played when hand checks were legal and used forcefully as defense. He also shot a higher percentage than Kobe and was a quicker athlete in his prime. Kobe is more powerful, but Jordan was more graceful.

Jordan is #1 all-time, but Kobe is arguably in the top 5. He's right on the level below Jordan with guys like Oscar Robertson, Larry Birdy, Magic Johnson, Wilt etc.

Let's not kid ourselves either, Jordan wasn't exactly a boy scout with his cheating on his wife and big gambling problems.

Disagree with a couple things here. First, I agree that Kobe has a little bit more range on his jumper. But it's certainly not a wipeout. Kobe in no way shape, or form, is stronger than MJ was. Not even close. One of the reasons MJ was able to dominate down-low the way he did, especially his last three years with the Bulls, was because of his big frame and strength. Magic once said that Jordan was the strongest wing player in the league. I also recall guys like Tex Winter and Jim Cleamons saying just how strong MJ was.

Also, how is Kobe in argubly in the top 5? I know you can't possibly have him ranked above Jordan, Wilt, Kareem, Russell, Magic and Bird. Those guys are in a class by themselves. Then you're talking about guys like West, Robertson, Julius, Shaq, Hakeem, Duncan. Can you really make an overwhelming case for Kobe having a better career than those guys?

I've never really paid much attention to the MJ/Kobe comparisons. MJ is MJ. He's the best ever. But I'm not so close-minded to act as if nobody can ever get close, or maybe one day surpass him. But as good as Kobe is, and he's damn good, he's just really not that close. For him to get close? Do what you're doing this year next year. Do it again the year after that. And the year after that. But forget about stats/awards/championships. Just go with the eye test. If you saw Michael play, then that's all you need to go by.

Edited by Jordan4life

I hate having to defend Kobe, but here goes.

Early in MJ's career he was lanky and got by with his ridiculous quickness. Later on when his body filled out, he backed down defenders.

However, nobody in NBA history works harder or even possibly as hard as Kobe does on his body. He uses his "666" workout over the last several years.

"The 666 routine stands for 6 hours a day, 6 days a week, 6 months of training. Of course most of us don't have 6 hours a day to work out so I listed below his weight training regimine. His workout also includes 2 hours of running, 2 hours of basketball, and 1 hour of cardio (boxing, jump rope in Kobe's case,) to go along with 1 hour of the exercises listed below.

Day 1 & Day 4

Bench press

Lat pull-downs

Incline press

Military press

Abdominal crunches

Day 2 & Day 5

Lateral dumbbell raises

Bar dips

Tricep press-downs

Bicep curls

Abdominal crunches

Day 3 & Day 6

Back squats/Front squats

Leg curls

Leg extensions

Calf raises

Abdominal crunches"

Also, how is Kobe in argubly in the top 5? I know you can't possibly have him ranked above Jordan, Wilt, Kareem, Russell, Magic and Bird. Those guys are in a class by themselves. Then you're talking about guys like West, Robertson, Julius, Shaq, Hakeem, Duncan. Can you really make an overwhelming case for Kobe having a better career than those guys?

I have 7 guys that are arguable for the top 5 for me.

Tier 1:Jordan is #1.

Tier 2: Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Bird, Robertson, and Bryant are on tier 2.

Tier 3: Shaq, Duncan, KG, Russell, Stockton, Malone X 2, West, Dr. J etc

Kobe at 29 years old is already the 24th leading scorer in NBA history, just 172 points behind Bird.

Just 5 years from now, at age 34-35, he will be...

Right around MJ's all-time points at 32,000

Top 28 in NBA history with 6,000+ assists

Top 12 in NBA history with 2,000+ steals

7,000+ rebounds

If Kobe plays to 38 years old, he would be the all-time leading scorer, top 12 in assists all time, top 5 in steals, 8,000+ rebounds etc.

He's also a very good defender, not quite on MJ's or a Bruce Bowen's level, but very good.

If I had to rank the top 6 or 7, it would be...

1. MJ

2. Kareem

3. Bird

4. Magic

5. Wilt

6. Kobe

7. Robertson

So what you're saying is that because Kobe works the hardest of maybe anybody in the history of the game, and he's 24th in scoring, he's better then MJ? :bang

Scoring doesn't automatically make you better then 1 guy.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
And the Celtics are seriously choking on a fat one. This will be an all-time choke if they blow this game.

Holy sh*t! I turned the game off when they were up 24.

I have no problem with anybody who thinks Kobe Bryant is the best player in the game. Hell, I have no problem with anybody who thinks Kobe Bryant is the best player the game has seen since prime Jordan. But if there's ever been a bigger, f***ing, whining ass crybaby in the history of the game than Kobe, I want to know who it is. I've never seen anything like it. In Kobe's world, he gets fouled every time he has the ball in his hands, never fouls when he's on defense. Never travels or double-dribbles. He's the only player I know that screams out "HEYYYYY!!!!" literally every time he drives to the hoop. Please, Kobe, SHUT THE f*** UP!!!!!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 07:40 PM)
I have no problem with anybody who thinks Kobe Bryant is the best player in the game. Hell, I have no problem with anybody who thinks Kobe Bryant is the best player the game has seen since prime Jordan. But if there's ever been a bigger, f***ing, whining ass crybaby in the history of the game than Kobe, I want to know who it is. I've never seen anything like it. In Kobe's world, he gets fouled every time he has the ball in his hands, never fouls when he's on defense. Never travels or double-dribbles. He's the only player I know that screams out "HEYYYYY!!!!" literally every time he drives to the hoop. Please, Kobe, SHUT THE f*** UP!!!!!

Dude, it's the NBA, every player does that.

You speak the truth. I also love his cute little cover his mouth while he b****es to the refs trick.