2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 11:40 PM)
And the Celtics are seriously choking on a fat one. This will be an all-time choke if they blow this game.

Well now. It looks like the Lakers finished the job the Celtics didn't want to eh?

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 11:55 PM)
Surprisingly, yes.

Let us assume that he is actually as good as Jordan to begin with - he has 6 NBA Finals MVPs before the comparison is even valid.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 09:58 PM)
Let us assume that he is actually as good as Jordan to begin with - he has 6 NBA Finals MVPs before the comparison is even valid.

Kobe has to win a bunch of rings without a dominant big man as well.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 11:01 PM)

Well too be fair, Jordan had Pippen who was pretty dominant by himself. Nobody around Kobe right now is close to on level with Pippen.

Well, not only do I never recall any Bulls team folding like that at any round in the playoffs, but certainly Jordan was never one of the primary reasons for the choke.

Granted, Jordan did have Pippen though. For the second set of championships, once they added Rodman those teams did not have a single exploitable weakness, anywhere.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 11:01 PM)

This Laker team is not even remotely close to being as well-rounded as any of the 6 Bulls championship teams.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 09:00 AM)
This Laker team is not even remotely close to being as well-rounded as any of the 6 Bulls championship teams.

I think the point is that Shaq had a lot to do with those championships than Kobe did, and Kobe's legacy should reflect that, but it's not, and being compared to Jordan's instead. Could you imagine if, say, the Cavs right now had Shaq in his prime? They'd be unstoppable. Or with the T-Wolves when Garnett was there? Hell, the fading Shaq even brought a championship to not-really-that-good Miami (although obviously with the help of the refs calling fouls on people who breathed too hard near Wade).

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 09:09 AM)
I think the point is that Shaq had a lot to do with those championships than Kobe did, and Kobe's legacy should reflect that, but it's not, and being compared to Jordan's instead. Could you imagine if, say, the Cavs right now had Shaq in his prime? They'd be unstoppable. Or with the T-Wolves when Garnett was there? Hell, the fading Shaq even brought a championship to not-really-that-good Miami (although obviously with the help of the refs calling fouls on people who breathed too hard near Wade).

But we also saw that Jordan required a mature Pippen to finally get over the hump. This Laker team is pretty weak and they still made it to the finals. We never saw Michael take a weak Bulls team to the finals. They had a mature team with Pippen and Grant (Rodman later).

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
But we also saw that Jordan required a mature Pippen to finally get over the hump. This Laker team is pretty weak and they still made it to the finals. We never saw Michael take a weak Bulls team to the finals. They had a mature team with Pippen and Grant (Rodman later).

I don't think this Laker team is weak though. I think they're actually a championship-caliber team, and I thought they were actually better than the Celtics. Gasol isn't exactly a nobody either, acquiring him freed up that offense in a big way.

Also I can't think of any weak teams that have made the Finals recently. I mean, maybe the Pistons would fit that definition, but they are pretty much a solid ensemble without a superstar driving them and they're the exception and not the rule. There is no superstar who can single-handedly take his team to the championship, not Kobe, not LeBron, not even Jordan.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 08:30 AM)
I don't think this Laker team is weak though. I think they're actually a championship-caliber team, and I thought they were actually better than the Celtics. Gasol isn't exactly a nobody either, acquiring him freed up that offense in a big way.

Also I can't think of any weak teams that have made the Finals recently. I mean, maybe the Pistons would fit that definition, but they are pretty much a solid ensemble without a superstar driving them and they're the exception and not the rule. There is no superstar who can single-handedly take his team to the championship, not Kobe, not LeBron, not even Jordan.

I'd compare this Laker team to last year's Cavs. One superstar and some inconsistent role players with little experience in championship situations.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 10:35 AM)
I'd compare this Laker team to last year's Cavs. One superstar and some inconsistent role players with little experience in championship situations.

Pau Gasol has instantly made this team a championship contender. Which says a lot in the West. I wouldn't say that his lack of "playoff experience" (a concept I personally believe to be ridiculously overrated) has hurt him either, his performance in the Finals so far has been adequate.

It was Kobe himself who choked, his 2nd poor performance this series.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 07:35 AM)

The only way I see that comparison making sense is in the "Experience" category...but I think if you looked through who the actual players were in the supporting casts, you'd take what the Lakers have over what the Cavs had by a long shot.

To call Gasol an inconsistent role player is a bit harsh.

Still he hasn't really delivered in this series, but Odom and Kobe haven't either.

Boston's suffocating D has been the difference.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 11:28 PM)
I like how you had to wait till the Lakers won a game before you made a reply to this..

It still wasn't a ridiculous claim like you made it seem.. and yet, the Lakers barely win tonight (at home) even with Pierce and Garnett playing like horses***

I do stick to the square circle thread because I don't have to deal with people like you who are in the other threads on here

Well the Celtics are likely going to win this in 6 games, and that's not really a surprise, as I said the Celtics could win in 6 or 7 and nobody would really be surprised. But to say sweep was just silly and wrong, and that has been proven even with the Lakers choking all series.

I'd have come in here and posted I was wrong after a sweep, and even posted I was surprised had the Lakers lost it in 5, but I wasn't going to be wrong at any time because the Lakers have gagged all series and still won two games. This series is probably over though, unless Kobe puts up like 50 points in game 6, which he probably isn't going to do.

Edited by whitesoxfan101