2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)
SHUT THE f*** UP ABOUT KOBE BEING ANYWHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS JORDAN!!!

:cheers :cheers

I know. It's driving me nuts. Mark Jackson can go jump off a bridge, saying Kobe is just as good as MJ on any given night. When Jordan rapes a chick, demands a trade because he doesn't have enough to get it done, throws Phil under the bus repeatedly, and wins 3 less titles, let me know. Jordan would carry the team and not want any more, and he'd take the blame for the struggles, he wouldn't blame the coach.

Which gives me another reason why I want the Celtics to beat the hell out of LA so Kobe still has to get 3 more.

Oh, and the girl would want it from MJ.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Shadows @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
lol, Celtics are gonna sweep

You're obviously on some sort of drug. If the Celtics couldn't sweep any team in the east, what makes you think they can sweep the best team in the better conference.

Because all of you, along with everyone else, are giving Boston no credit what so ever..

I listened to ESPN radio at work all day and it was all Lakers in 5 and all this..

I guess no one remembers Boston was the BEST team in the league this year

f*** the Lakers, the Celtics are the better team

QUOTE (Shadows @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 10:54 PM)
Because all of you, along with everyone else, are giving Boston no credit what so ever..

I listened to ESPN radio at work all day and it was all Lakers in 5 and all this..

I guess no one remembers Boston was the BEST team in the league this year

f*** the Lakers, the Celtics are the better team

That's fine, but your statement that the Celtics will sweep was still quite ignorant. They have yet to win a series in less than six games against three teams nowhere near as good as the Lakers. They have homecourt, so nobody would be surprised if they win in 6 or 7, but in 4? Yeah, right.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)
That's fine, but your statement that the Celtics will sweep was still quite ignorant. They have yet to win a series in less than six games against three teams nowhere near as good as the Lakers. They have homecourt, so nobody would be surprised if they win in 6 or 7, but in 4? Yeah, right.

Why is that ignorant? because you don't agree with my opinion? I think your opinion they wont sweep is ignorant, how do ya like me now!?!?!?!

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 11:09 PM)
Your fine, your just shockingly wrong.

Alright well, its 1-0

They only need to win 3 more, I doubt they lose game 2 at home.. and they are 3-0 against the Lakers on the season now.. They were the best team in the league, they were the best defensive team in the league..

Shocking? Hardly. Unlikely, Ill give you that.

It is far from ignorant to think the Celtics can sweep. You are just caught up in the Kobe hype.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
Good to see guys like Fisher, Odom, and Gasol taking the shots and free throws at the end of the game. MJ never did anything like that- he wanted the ball. Sorry, Kobe. You're just not him.

LOL, was I the only one who watched the clinching games for titles 1 (Pax) 3 (Pax) and 5 (Kerr)?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)
LOL, was I the only one who watched the clinching games for titles 1 (Pax) 3 (Pax) and 5 (Kerr)?

LOL, was I the only one who saw double teams, slide overs to make sure MJ didn't take the shot? Kobe was in a 1-on-1 yesterday, and couldn't do anything with it.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 04:17 PM)
LOL, was I the only one who saw double teams, slide overs to make sure MJ didn't take the shot? Kobe was in a 1-on-1 yesterday, and couldn't do anything with it.

As being a HUGE Jordan homer, I don't like the Kobe=Jordan talk as much as anybody. But I think some of the MJ homers on the board have to consider that Kobe is probably the best player in the game currently, and everyone has an off night. The man has 24 points and now it's as if he's all of a sudden overrated.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 04:24 PM)
As being a HUGE Jordan homer, I don't like the Kobe=Jordan talk as much as anybody. But I think some of the MJ homers on the board have to consider that Kobe is probably the best player in the game currently, and everyone has an off night. The man has 24 points and now it's as if he's all of a sudden overrated.

No, I never said he's over-rated, and I never said he wasn't the best player in the game currently. But when does being the best player NOW make you the best player EVER?

Here are some stats, between Kobe's playoff career and MJ's playoff career:

Jordan

FG% MIN REB STL FT% FTPG REBPG PTSPG

49 7474 1152 376 83 9.9 6.4 33

Kobe

FG% MIN REB STL FT% FTPG REBPG PTSPG

45 5731 741 194 80 7.7 5 25

Again, never compare the 2.

Oops, almost forgot rings- MJ: 6, Kobe: 3

So, yet again, never compare the 2.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)

I think you'll have a lot of difficulty coming up with people who won't argue he's the best player currently in the league. You might have gotten an argument for KG or Duncan a couple years ago, and a healthy D-Wade might have given him a challenge, and CP3 and Lebron have a shot at taking that title even next year...but for the last 2 or 3 years he clearly has been the best in the league.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)
So, yet again, never compare the 2.

Once again, it seems that whenever people try to discredit Kobe the phrase "he's not better than MJ" is thrown out there. Kobe said in an interview himself last week that he wanted nothing to do with being compared to MJ. I know MJ is the best to ever play the game and with Kobe being the best there is currently, the comparisons are gonna happen. People like Mark Jackson will even tell you that Kobe's better, personally I think that's because MJ had some of his best moments against teams Jackson was on, but that's another story. So believe me, i'll never compare the 2.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 07:58 PM)
Once again, it seems that whenever people try to discredit Kobe the phrase "he's not better than MJ" is thrown out there. Kobe said in an interview himself last week that he wanted nothing to do with being compared to MJ. I know MJ is the best to ever play the game and with Kobe being the best there is currently, the comparisons are gonna happen. People like Mark Jackson will even tell you that Kobe's better, personally I think that's because MJ had some of his best moments against teams Jackson was on, but that's another story. So believe me, i'll never compare the 2.

You know he wants to be better then him. What do you want him to say- I want to be better then Jordan and I think I am?

Come on.

But, I agree. He isn't MJ- never will be.

I'm as big of a Jordan as the GOAT as anyone, but even I have to admit that Kobe is pretty dang close. Kobe is a better outside shooter than Jordan ever was. But overall Jordan is slightly better offensively and defensively. Jordan played when hand checks were legal and used forcefully as defense. He also shot a higher percentage than Kobe and was a quicker athlete in his prime. Kobe is more powerful, but Jordan was more graceful.

Jordan is #1 all-time, but Kobe is arguably in the top 5. He's right on the level below Jordan with guys like Oscar Robertson, Larry Birdy, Magic Johnson, Wilt etc.

Let's not kid ourselves either, Jordan wasn't exactly a boy scout with his cheating on his wife and big gambling problems.