2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

a couple days ago i was split as to which i wanted should the bulls get the #1...i ended up saying rose, but i knew it wouldnt ever happen...well now that it happened...i think i want beasley.....i would be slightly concerned about rose's jump shot....hes athletic no doubt and will be a plus defender...on the other hand beasley is probably poor defensively, but hes gonna rebound and hes gonna score no doubt about it...7'0'' wing span, ambidexterous, can score from anywhere on the floor....its a tough decision ...rose is a virtual lock, beasley has more upside and a bit more risk, but still low enough risk for it to be worth it IMO

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ May 20, 2008 -> 06:22 PM)
There are obvious holes in Ben's game, but the fact remains that he can shoot the lights out, get hotter than hell, and carry a team offensively when he does. I'm not sure what Pax wants to do, and maybe bridges with Ben have been burned, but the guy is still young and valuable.

It certainly doesn't seem like the bridges have been burned with him...I just think he's the obvious odd man out. Rose should be a solid defender, but I think a Rose/Gordon backcourt is even worse defensively than a Hinrich/Gordon backcourt. Imagine the games against the 'Stons and Hamilton and Billups, or games against the Heat where Rose gets worn down guarding Wade. The Bulls have 3 shooting guards, 1 of them is hard to move because of a bad contract and a couple rough years (although his contract does come up in the LEbron/Wade/Melo year which means its an excellent trade asset next offseason), 1 of them is an excellent stand up defender who's offensive game is showing improvement and who is under the team's control a couple more years, and 1 is an excellent shooter who doesn't create his own shot much, is poor on defense, and is a RFA this offseason and needs to be signed or moved so we don't lose him for nothing.

Honestly, if we could extend Gordon and find some way to move Hughes, I'd be happier about that because Thabo + Gordon is probably a better backcourt than Thabo + Hughes. But because we'd have to take another contract back to move Hughes, and on top of that sign Gordon and Deng, it looks like Gordon just has to be the odd man out.

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 21, 2008 -> 02:27 AM)
a couple days ago i was split as to which i wanted should the bulls get the #1...i ended up saying rose, but i knew it wouldnt ever happen...well now that it happened...i think i want beasley.....i would be slightly concerned about rose's jump shot....hes athletic no doubt and will be a plus defender...on the other hand beasley is probably poor defensively, but hes gonna rebound and hes gonna score no doubt about it...7'0'' wing span, ambidexterous, can score from anywhere on the floor....its a tough decision ...rose is a virtual lock, beasley has more upside and a bit more risk, but still low enough risk for it to be worth it IMO

It's so hard to decide, so why not just take Shan Foster?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 20, 2008 -> 09:29 PM)
It's so hard to decide, so why not just take Shan Foster?

funny you should say that..... my buddy texted me "rose or beasley" and i responded, "foster"....second round maybe? hed be a good compliment to either...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2008 -> 07:29 PM)
It certainly doesn't seem like the bridges have been burned with him...I just think he's the obvious odd man out. Rose should be a solid defender, but I think a Rose/Gordon backcourt is even worse defensively than a Hinrich/Gordon backcourt. Imagine the games against the 'Stons and Hamilton and Billups, or games against the Heat where Rose gets worn down guarding Wade. The Bulls have 3 shooting guards, 1 of them is hard to move because of a bad contract and a couple rough years (although his contract does come up in the LEbron/Wade/Melo year which means its an excellent trade asset next offseason), 1 of them is an excellent stand up defender who's offensive game is showing improvement and who is under the team's control a couple more years, and 1 is an excellent shooter who doesn't create his own shot much, is poor on defense, and is a RFA this offseason and needs to be signed or moved so we don't lose him for nothing.

Honestly, if we could extend Gordon and find some way to move Hughes, I'd be happier about that because Thabo + Gordon is probably a better backcourt than Thabo + Hughes. But because we'd have to take another contract back to move Hughes, and on top of that sign Gordon and Deng, it looks like Gordon just has to be the odd man out.

I'm in complete agreement with you.

The number 1 pick means much more to the Bulls than just Beasley or Rose, they have opened up a bunch of different options to make their team better, and quick.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ May 20, 2008 -> 09:37 PM)
I'm in complete agreement with you.

The number 1 pick means much more to the Bulls than just Beasley or Rose, they have opened up a bunch of different options to make their team better, and quick.

no matter what...i think joakim noah is gonna benefit greatly from this draft, i really think he could grow well with either guy playing a sidekick type rebounder/cleanup guy

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 20, 2008 -> 05:45 PM)
no matter what...i think joakim noah is gonna benefit greatly from this draft, i really think he could grow well with either guy playing a sidekick type rebounder/cleanup guy

I'm sure I'll get bashed for saying so, but so would Tyrus, either if he's traded and therefore gets playing time with someone else or if he gets to play with Rose. I said over @ the Bulls board that whoever our new coach winds up being should stick Rose and Tyrus in a locked room with video of Paul and Chandler on Alley-oops, and they shouldn't unlock the door until they hear Tyrus say "Wait a second, I can jump higher than that guy."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2008 -> 08:48 PM)
I'm sure I'll get bashed for saying so, but so would Tyrus, either if he's traded and therefore gets playing time with someone else or if he gets to play with Rose. I said over @ the Bulls board that whoever our new coach winds up being should stick Rose and Tyrus in a locked room with video of Paul and Chandler on Alley-oops, and they shouldn't unlock the door until they hear Tyrus say "Wait a second, I can jump higher than that guy."

Then he'd say, "I wish I could play defense and had a work ethic like him, or even shared his passion."

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 20, 2008 -> 08:49 PM)
Then he'd say, "I wish I could play defense and had a work ethic like him, or even shared his passion."

I think Tyrus has the passion, but he just appears to be immature which misguides that energy. Skiles wasn't the type of coach who was going to baby Tyrus and when he pouted, things got worse.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24736742/

The Bulls failed to land the coach they wanted, Mike D’Antoni, but the position became much more appealing Tuesday, giving them a chance to draft first for only the second time. The Bulls, who took Elton Brand No. 1 in 1999, could turn this time to hometown star Rose, who D’Antoni said was like Jason Kidd with a jump shot.

I can live with that.

What an amazing night. You can't go wrong with either guy (the Heat almost have it easier being #2, they can just take the one that's left), but I'd take Rose and here is why:

1. Beasley plays zero defense, Rose has shown himself to be at least an average defender.

2. Rose is the type of player that makes your team better and can make mediocre players look good a la CP3.

3. It's a point guards league more and more every year.

4. Seen Tyson Chandler lately? CP3 can do things like that for Tyrus Thomas.

5. Luol Deng will always be open.

6. You can let Ben Gordon go and not worry.

Beasley is a great talent and would be a good pick, but to me, you have to take Rose. My last worry is that Beasley would be like a better Elton Brand here, empty 20/10 on a bad team. At least Rose could create for and make others better. This draft lotto was of course fixed, as they often are, but who the hell cares when it helps the Bulls? /hypocrite

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 20, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)

So can we draft CP3?

Either way, that's probably the least valid reason for drafting Rose. Chandler is still terrible offensively and pretty much gets all of his points off alley-oops. Tyrus doesn't have the same work ethic or the same defensive abilities as Chandler.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 20, 2008 -> 11:15 PM)
So can we draft CP3?

Either way, that's probably the least valid reason for drafting Rose. Chandler is still terrible offensively and pretty much gets all of his points off alley-oops. Tyrus doesn't have the same work ethic or the same defensive abilities as Chandler.

Rose will be as good as CP3, IMO. And we don't know that about Tyrus, he has a lazy reputation but so did Tyson while he was here. Those reputations were put out there by Skiles, and I don't trust that at all. Tyrus actually has a better offensive game than Tyson as well.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 20, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
What an amazing night. You can't go wrong with either guy (the Heat almost have it easier being #2, they can just take the one that's left), but I'd take Rose and here is why:

1. Beasley plays zero defense, Rose has shown himself to be at least an average defender.

2. Rose is the type of player that makes your team better and can make mediocre players look good a la CP3.

3. It's a point guards league more and more every year.

5. Luol Deng will always be open.

6. You can let Ben Gordon go and not worry.

Honestly, the more and more I think about it, this sums up my feelings perfectly. I'm not going to be mad if we draft Beasley at all, but I'm definitely leaning towards Rose at the moment.

Man, I know you guys are excited for Rose and he has a ton of talent, but we're being awfully quick to put him in the Williams/Paul tier. Yes, he's athletic enough, but we're also talking about a guy that posted 4.7 assists on a loaded Memphis team that ran a lot (Paul and Williams both averaged around 7), I have a hard time seeing him be THAT kind of a playmaker right away. Point guard is the hardest position in which to make an immediate impact in the NBA. Plus Boozer was a 16-9 post player before Williams got there and David West is much more talented offensively than our guys. The PG's make their lives easier, but they're not going to score 8 a game if they're not there.

I really don't think you can really go wrong either way. Beasley is an elite scorer that will improve our interior play and draw a lot of attention away from the guards, while Rose can obviously be a difference making PG that will greatly improve their driving. As things stand now I'd personally lean towards Beasley, but if you can unload Hinrich and get some value Rose makes a lot of sense too. I just don't want to see us rely on Tyrus, Noah and Gooden inside for another year (and Gooden may be gone soon), that'll make it hard to win in the playoffs.

The assist stat, to be fair, is deceiving. It is low, but Memphis runs that dribble drive offense which does get a lot of open looks, but does not lead to a lot of assists. Plus, Memphis didn't really have any good three point shooters or consistent scorers inside, so Rose wasn't in a situation where he'd have a lot of dimes.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 21, 2008 -> 12:32 AM)
The assist stat, to be fair, is deceiving. It is low, but Memphis runs that dribble drive offense which does get a lot of open looks, but does not lead to a lot of assists. Plus, Memphis didn't really have any good three point shooters or consistent scorers inside, so Rose wasn't in a situation where he'd have a lot of dimes.

It gives you a ton of opportunities to create a shot for yourself or the big man on the drive depending on the D, and there are plenty of kick-outs to a roster that still shot 35% from downtown (which is okay), not to mention a whole lot of transitions opportunities. It's basically tailor-made for his skills and he didn't truly produce to his potential until the tournament.

I'm not saying he's going to be a bust by any stretch of the imagination, he's incredibly gifted, I just wouldn't be surprised if he averaged closer to 6 assists than 8+ for the first year or two, maybe even more depending on how often he looks for his own shot on the drive. From what I've seen of him so far he looks more like Tony Parker, he'd have to force the passing a bit more than he has in the past to be the kind of difference maker as a passer those other two are.

The more I think about it, the more I think the following will happen:

1. The Bulls will make a multi player trade, clearing a spot for Rose or Beasley to have all to himself.

2. The Bulls will just draft whoever fits based on the trade they can make.

The question is, who can the Bulls move and who can they get the most for on the roster? It's going to be a fascinating 5 weeks (I believe that is how long it is) until the draft, between trade talk and general Rose vs. Beasley debate, because neither side of the argument is right or wrong. The Bulls, no matter what, SHOULD get a great player here so I'm pumped.