2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

By the way, if you recall, TT was often compared to Amare and if you think about it, Amare has really strived in the Phoenix system so hopefully that up-tempo offense will really get the best out of Tyrus (and that Mike can get TT to run the court). Joakim runs the court well too and Drew Gooden is really the only regular contributor who may find himself in a tough spot in the system (but no matter how much you run, it still pays to have a legit back to the basket low post player, plus Gooden is still a pretty solid athlete).

The bigger question is what types of adjustments are made to the current personell (does this system actually benefit a guy like Gordon or does he not fit into the system). Deng and his mid-range jumper should be a good fit, not sure with Gordon who tends to be a bit more ball-hog oriented (guys who move without the ball do well in Mike's system).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
By the way, if you recall, TT was often compared to Amare and if you think about it, Amare has really strived in the Phoenix system so hopefully that up-tempo offense will really get the best out of Tyrus (and that Mike can get TT to run the court). Joakim runs the court well too and Drew Gooden is really the only regular contributor who may find himself in a tough spot in the system (but no matter how much you run, it still pays to have a legit back to the basket low post player, plus Gooden is still a pretty solid athlete).

The bigger question is what types of adjustments are made to the current personell (does this system actually benefit a guy like Gordon or does he not fit into the system). Deng and his mid-range jumper should be a good fit, not sure with Gordon who tends to be a bit more ball-hog oriented (guys who move without the ball do well in Mike's system).

Gordon has the talent to perform very, very well in a system like the one in Phoenix, but he's just never used that talent yet, which is one of the reasons I've been so frustrated with him. The 2 things that he would be very good at are a.) the open jumper created on the break or created off of the movement of other people (Even without Nash, if you're pushing the tempo, you're going to create those open looks from outside, and Gordon has as good of a shot for that as anyone in the league) and he's actually very quick if he ever tries to drive. In 06-07, some of the best stuff the Bulls players did came on the times that either Gordon or Deng would push the ball hard in from the top of the lane and force the defense to collapse, something they totally got away from in 07-08 in the games I bothered watching.

Edit: side note, one simple fact about the Bulls offseason has to be that they need to trade away a shooting guard. Thabo, Gordon, and Hughes can not all be on this roster next year. I don't care who the coach is, I don't care if they move to PG some time, there just is not enough minutes to go around for all 3 of those barring a season ending injury.

The Phoenix Suns offense can't be run without a DOMINANT point guard (heck, the Hornets system looks a lot like Phoenix these days). You can say whatever you want, but D'Antoni in Chicago would have no shot at working until we got a great point guard, and right now we don't even have an average one.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 6, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
This really is the perfect personnel. I have my doubts on whether Hinrich can run the system, but aside from that the Bulls have the athletes in pace to successfully run an up-tempo style of offense. I also have to believe that the team when interviewing Mike would have asked him about whether the proper players are there and what he thought of Kirk and whomever and my guess is if the Bulls hire D'Antoni they either believe Kirk can be that guy or have someone in mind that they believe they can get.

I'm freaking excited though if they hire him.

They have some. Hinrich might be okay, Deng should be fine, Gordon can certainly play a role. But it's hard to see Noah, Thomas, and Sefalosha in that system. I like them as players, and they're fine athletes, but they seem a lot less valuable under a no-defense philosophy. We still don't have that underneath scorer to fill a Stoudamire-type role. (Only the role, not the production -- I'm not trying to set ridiculous expectations.) It'll be interesting, I just don't see how it'll work.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 6, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
They have some. Hinrich might be okay, Deng should be fine, Gordon can certainly play a role. But it's hard to see Noah, Thomas, and Sefalosha in that system. I like them as players, and they're fine athletes, but they seem a lot less valuable under a no-defense philosophy. We still don't have that underneath scorer to fill a Stoudamire-type role. (Only the role, not the production -- I'm not trying to set ridiculous expectations.) It'll be interesting, I just don't see how it'll work.

Just out of curiosity...D'Antoni hasn't really had a chance to coach more than 1 team since the NBA's rules opened up the game a bit, while it may be hard to see a couple defense oriented guys fitting in beautifully next to Steve Nash and Amare, how do we know that it can't be made to work with the Bulls roster? Every one of the guys they have is young and has fairly fresh legs under them, especially the big guys, etc. I've been wanting to see the Bulls push the tempo since they moved Wallace and Skiles, as it seemed like their roster, especially their frontcourt, could fit that style of play well. Do we know that D'Antoni will stubbornly refuse to adapt his playing style to the players we have? If I were Skiles, that'd have been my first and most decisive interview question...how would he fit his style of game to our roster where we've been drafting for defense for several years. If he had a bad answer to that question, I wouldn't even have made an offer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2008 -> 05:24 PM)
Just out of curiosity...D'Antoni hasn't really had a chance to coach more than 1 team since the NBA's rules opened up the game a bit, while it may be hard to see a couple defense oriented guys fitting in beautifully next to Steve Nash and Amare, how do we know that it can't be made to work with the Bulls roster? Every one of the guys they have is young and has fairly fresh legs under them, especially the big guys, etc. I've been wanting to see the Bulls push the tempo since they moved Wallace and Skiles, as it seemed like their roster, especially their frontcourt, could fit that style of play well. Do we know that D'Antoni will stubbornly refuse to adapt his playing style to the players we have? If I were Skiles, that'd have been my first and most decisive interview question...how would he fit his style of game to our roster where we've been drafting for defense for several years. If he had a bad answer to that question, I wouldn't even have made an offer.

I'm not saying I know, I'm just skeptical. Not even so much that it could work as that D'Antoni would try to make it work. From the articles I read when the talk came up about him looking elsewhere, one of his points of contention with Suns management is that he's not even eager to give much practice time or attention to defense. One quote --

But sources say Suns management and a veteran player or two, while all hopeful that D'Antoni will stay, want more practice time spent on defense and want to see two mistake-prone young talents -- Amare Stoudemire and Leandro Barbosa -- challenged more by the coaching staff and held more accountable for their mistakes.

Link.

I know, I know, it's just "sources", who knows if it's true. It just doesn't sound good, and the results with the Suns aren't encouraging.

Best show on TV, and although they've done a lot of funny stuff, this might be my favorite in recent memory.

Also, back on topic, LA and New Orleans are looking damn good. /Captain Obvious.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 8, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)

Best show on TV, and although they've done a lot of funny stuff, this might be my favorite in recent memory.

Also, back on topic, LA and New Orleans are looking damn good. /Captain Obvious.

Awesome. I watch them all the time, but I missed this one. Pretty hilarious. This one goes above the Kenny Smith jumping over a car video. :lol:

Nothing official, but rotoworld reporting that D'Antoni is going to the Knicks:

An NBA source told Marc Spears of the Boston Globe on Saturday afternoon that Mike D'Antoni has accepted the Knicks offer to coach the team.

D'Antoni was given permission by the Suns to interview for openings with the Knicks and the Chicago Bulls, but was not allowed to talk to the Toronto Raptors, where Bryan Colangelo is the current GM after leaving the Suns. Stephen A. Smith of ESPN reported earlier on Saturday that D'Antoni's deal with the Knicks was for four years and $24 million, but details have not been released. We don't consider this deal to be finalized, but all indications are that D'Antoni is the new coach of the Knicks. May. 10 - 1:23 pm et

Edit: NY Post is now confirming that D'Antoni will coach the Knicks.

Edited by jackie hayes

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 10, 2008 -> 11:31 AM)
Nothing official, but rotoworld reporting that D'Antoni is going to the Knicks:

Edit: NY Post is now confirming that D'Antoni will coach the Knicks.

As much as I believe D'Antoni is a good coach, he is not worth $6 mil a year. Doesn't have the track record to garner that much of a commitment. Not surprised the Knicks gave that much money.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 10, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
As much as I believe D'Antoni is a good coach, he is not worth $6 mil a year. Doesn't have the track record to garner that much of a commitment. Not surprised the Knicks gave that much money.

Are you really surprised that the Knicks made a not so bright move?

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 10, 2008 -> 12:26 PM)
Are you really surprised that the Knicks made a not so bright move?

Honestly though...D'Antoni could easily be worth $10 million a year plus to that franchise. As much as they take in on ticket sales and ad revenue...they need to make sure people keep watching and people stay in the seats. The players on that team are garbage, but now, at least until it gets stale, there'll be some excitement. New coach, new style of play, fast paced, lots of offense, lots of reasons to stay tuned in. He's clearly a worse fit for their roster than almost any in the league (Come on Eddy, Run, Run! I can't!), but even losing while scoring more points for a year or two makes sense for that team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
Honestly though...D'Antoni could easily be worth $10 million a year plus to that franchise. As much as they take in on ticket sales and ad revenue...they need to make sure people keep watching and people stay in the seats. The players on that team are garbage, but now, at least until it gets stale, there'll be some excitement. New coach, new style of play, fast paced, lots of offense, lots of reasons to stay tuned in. He's clearly a worse fit for their roster than almost any in the league (Come on Eddy, Run, Run! I can't!), but even losing while scoring more points for a year or two makes sense for that team.

I have a tough time seeing either Eddy or Randolph in that system. They were talking about trading one, but it wouldn't surprise me if they dump 'em both now.

why does the NBA have joey crawford officiate spurs games? couldnt they have sent him to detroit? i know the duncan thing is probably in the past but why even take the risk of the media stirring up a potential "controversy" should a bad call be made late in the game?