Torii Hunter

Allsox

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 07:58 PM)
Has anyone seen Hunter's splits vs LHP the last 3 yrs? He's killed them. .308/.365/.547

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/spli...p;type=batting3

Nice. Know what else I like? What's the difference between Hunter and Alphonso Soriano?

Soriano will give you on average 8-10 more homers a year. In the past, steal 10-15 more bases, though he didn't do much after that leg injury. He's 1 year younger.

Hunter, meanwhile plays gold glove defense in center.

Hunter might be had for $75 million for 5 years. Compare that to Soriano's $136 million for 8 years, and it looks pretty good.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)
Nice. Know what else I like? What's the difference between Hunter and Alphonso Soriano?

Soriano will give you on average 8-10 more homers a year. In the past, steal 10-15 more bases, though he didn't do much after that leg injury. He's 1 year younger.

Hunter, meanwhile plays gold glove defense in center.

Hunter might be had for $75 million for 5 years. Compare that to Soriano's $136 million for 8 years, and it looks pretty good.

He's listed as 1 year younger.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:13 AM)
Soriano.

Latin American players try and lie about their age quite often.

Beltre and Furcal as two examples.

That's who I thought...but the way it was phrased it at least sounded like a slap against Hunter, which confused me.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 11:24 AM)
He actually played in Japan before the Yankees.

He signed at 22 with the Yankees.

Didnt he go to Japan so he could avoid the amateur draft and then sign with whomever he wanted(ie. paid him the most)? Just curious, I thought I remembered reading something like that

Hunter has said a team's ability to compete for a World Series in coming years would be a major factor in his decision.

The Royals are reportedly interested. Their franchise has improved over the last 5 years, but I think World Series contender is a bit of a stretch at this point. I hope Hunter liked KW's plan. I wish I could have overheard that conversation. I've warmed up to the idea of Hunter. He brings a lot of personality along with his obvious on field skills. I'm a Rowand guy, but he will get a lot of money and he's really good but not 12 million per good.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)
Soriano.

Latin American players try and lie about their age quite often.

Beltre and Furcal as two examples.

I believe Soriano's listed age at this point. He was already busted for lying about his age and his current age is where he was re-set.

BTW, Soriano has one of the most electric swings I've seen. He swings harder and faster than I thought was possible, generating enormous power. Truly one of the most amazing things I've seen. I think Soriano will be playing a la Julio Franco into his late 40's - especially if he can improve his batting eye.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
Didnt he go to Japan so he could avoid the amateur draft and then sign with whomever he wanted(ie. paid him the most)? Just curious, I thought I remembered reading something like that

I don't think so.

He's from the Dominican Republic. They aren't subject to the draft.