Zumaya injures shoulder during wildfires

Balta1701

Well, this is certainly interesting.

Tigers reliever Joel Zumaya is expected to be sidelined until midseason after injuring his throwing shoulder while moving items during the California wildfires.

Zumaya had surgery Wednesday on his right shoulder in San Diego. His residence is listed as south of the city, in Chula Vista.

Zumaya, whose 100-mph fastballs helped Detroit reach the 2006 World Series, will rest his shoulder for six weeks. He is not expected to begin a throwing program until March.

The Tigers said Zumaya was hurt while moving personal items, but did not release additional details. Known for his fastballs, Zumaya has giant flame tattoos on both of his arms.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 2, 2007 -> 09:03 AM)
What a coincidence with the game just coming out...

Yeah that was what I was thinking as well. The timing is certainly interesting.

Detroit would certainly be getting annoyed at this though.

A modestly built guy at 6'3, 200 pounds who somehow was an 11th round pick, even with his great arm, suffers his 2nd bizarre, yet major injury in about 6 months. If this guy isn't a candidate for HGH/steroid/something that makes you brittle but helps you get stronger use, I don't know who is.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I read an article on my cell phone (so I don't have the link) where he was apologizing to the Tiger's organization and claimed he was crying over it at night. The next best thing

"He said a box fell on his shoulder," Dombrowski said. "The fires were approximately 2 miles from his home, where he lives with his parents, and his dad has a broken leg and wanted some items from the attic.

"My jubilation turned into a lot of concern," Dombrowski said.

The pitcher was downtrodden, too.

"He must've apologized, in a five-minute conversation, 25 times," Dombrowski said.

first question: did hurt his shoulder or did his balls fall off? seriously, man up.

second question: why is he apologizing so much if he hurt his arm legitimately protecting his home, unless that's not the real story?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 2, 2007 -> 02:30 AM)
A modestly built guy at 6'3, 200 pounds who somehow was an 11th round pick, even with his great arm, suffers his 2nd bizarre, yet major injury in about 6 months. If this guy isn't a candidate for HGH/steroid/something that makes you brittle but helps you get stronger use, I don't know who is.

Going into the draft Zumaya only threw in the low 90's, he magically gained 10 MPH on his fastball after playing in the Tigers minor league system. If Joel were throwing 100-103 MPH before the draft he would have been a high round pick.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 2, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)
Going into the draft Zumaya only threw in the low 90's, he magically gained 10 MPH on his fastball after playing in the Tigers minor league system. If Joel were throwing 100-103 MPH before the draft he would have been a high round pick.

Adding 10 mph doesn't exactly lesson the juice implications...

What's the matter with you guys? The man is trying to protect his home and family and you are throwing out accusations about steriods? At this point, his and his family's safety is more important than than HGH/steroids/whatever. show some compassion!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 2, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. As for compassion, I am glad his house didn't burn down obviously, however facts are facts and he's had 2 of the flukiest injuries I've ever heard in a matter of only 6 months, in his early 20's. Hmmm.........

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 03:25 PM)
California Wildfires = Guitar Hero 3

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 05:03 PM)
What a coincidence with the game just coming out...

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
Yeah that was what I was thinking as well. The timing is certainly interesting.

Detroit would certainly be getting annoyed at this though.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/02/...ueen-first-try/

Someone else thinks the same way.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 05:58 PM)
hopefully he didn't injure it playing guitar hero 3. but it sucks that he injured it during the wildfires, a lot more acceptable than guiter hero before.

You can not hurt your shoulder playing Guitar Hero.. I play Guitar Hero prolly more than anyone on this board, and after about 4-5 straight hours of playing the only pains are in your feet (if you are standing to play) and the forearm wrist area..

A shoulder injury? I highly doubt it unless he tried to do a power slide and tripped and landed on his shoulder..

Zumaya was told by doctors that he has a 90-95 percent chance at a full recovery after they rebuilt the AC joint in his pitching shoulder. However, this is a very rare injury in baseball. The one player known to have had the same problem to the same extent previously was Ken Caminiti. Zumaya has said that he injury the shoulder when a box fell on it as he attempted to rearrange items in preparation for the California wildfires. Zumaya lives in the San Diego area.
SI