Sox Interested in Cabrera

spiderman

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 04:00 PM)
He tends to put up an OPS+ in the 150's. So you'll be getting production similar to '06 Dye (151), '06 Thome (155) and '07 Thome (150) except he's 24 years old and only getting better.

He plays in a home park that is a pitchers park by far and still put up great home numbers. Imagine his numbers here, in the summer when a pop fly goes to the Concourse.

3 stud prospects for Miggy from the Dodgers.

That's basically the equivalent of Danks + Fields + DLS for us.

I wonder if Ned Colletti would pull the trigger on that though. He's probably on the hot seat right now.

Of course if they acquired Miggy, they may need to clear some salary and could maybe trade Furcal to do so?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 05:04 PM)
3 stud prospects for Miggy from the Dodgers.

That's basically the equivalent of Danks + Fields + DLS for us.

I wonder if Ned Colletti would pull the trigger on that though. He's probably on the hot seat right now.

Of course if they acquired Miggy, they may need to clear some salary and could maybe trade Furcal to do so?

Well Kershaw is basically the top pitcher in the minors, we dont have anything equal to that.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 03:45 PM)
Cabrera is actually younger than Fields.

Well, that's nice, but their relative ages were never an issue for me. I'm more concerned about how much they cost and how long the Sox would have them under contract.

Cabrera is pretty much a pipe dream anyway.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 04:48 PM)
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Cabrera's going to command somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 million by then. There is some precedent of the powers that be opening the coffers (Belle), but what's to stop the Yankees or Red Sox from out-bidding JR & Co.? Both of those teams are going to be looking at replacing their aging sluggers by then as well.

Much more than that. Manny got $160 mil, and that was a long time ago, and he was 2 years older. If by some miracle the Sox get Cabrera (they won't), you push hard to get him extended now. Not that he'd do it, but you try.

QUOTE(RudyLawRules @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 09:11 PM)
Bruce Levine was just on AM 1000. Did I just hear him correctly? He said it would take Danks, Gio, Broadway AND Fields to land Cabrera. :chair That seems a bit steep.

LOL, I would drive them to the airport and check their luggage if thats all it cost.

QUOTE(RudyLawRules @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 10:41 PM)
He was just on WMVP and said it would take Danks, Gio, Broadway and Fields to land Cabrera.

Interesting.

So, we'd have Buehrle, Javy, Count, Floyd, maybe Garland as the starters?

I think I'd make that trade.

I have a feeling that Kenny Williams would have already had this deal done if this is all it takes to get Cabrera in a White Sox uniform. If not, he should be fired NOW and I am not a KW hater as many of you know. This is a no brainer. He is possibly the best hitter in baseball and plays good in the field. You have so many possible options if you do this trade. Keep or trade Crede. Keep or trade Konerko. Keep or trade Garland. We would finally be adding a known commodity - a known superstar - in the prime of his career with 2 years left on his contract. NO BRAINER!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 09:55 PM)
I have a feeling that Kenny Williams would have already had this deal done if this is all it takes to get Cabrera in a White Sox uniform. If not, he should be fired NOW and I am not a KW hater as many of you know. This is a no brainer. He is possibly the best hitter in baseball and plays good in the field. You have so many possible options if you do this trade. Keep or trade Crede. Keep or trade Konerko. Keep or trade Garland. We would finally be adding a known commodity - a known superstar - in the prime of his career with 2 years left on his contract. NO BRAINER!!!!!!!!

The scary part is that Cabrera is not in the prime yet. Power hitters usually mature in their late 20s. I just shudder to think of the numbers he would put up here. OMG.

We honestly do not have the stuff to land him if they expect a package like that from the Dodgers...Heck, take Kershaw out and replace him with several of their young arms and I bet Florida bites.

The Sox may need to move Garland or something and hope to land another couple solid prospects. If you can do that, we can throw one of them into a deal w/ DLS, Gio, Fields, and even Danks.

I still liked that idea someone mentioned of Jenks. I'd imagine Jenks holds more weight then a guy like Joba. Maybe we do Jenks, Danks and Fields for him?

Looks like we could kill that noise:

ORLANDO, Fla. - The Marlins are almost certain to trade third baseman Miguel Cabrera. The question is where.

The Cabrera talks intensified at the general managers' meetings on Wednesday, with the Angels emerging as a particularly intriguing possibility.

The Dodgers, Red Sox and Yankees are among the other clubs talking to the Marlins about Cabrera. The Red Sox, however, are trying to re-sign third baseman Mike Lowell, and the Yankees' chances of landing Cabrera might diminish after comments by owner George Steinbrenner's son Hank, who said that the team would not trade any of its top three pitching prospects for a position player.

But the Yankees still could include a pitcher besides Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain or Ian Kennedy. Class AA right-hander Alan Horne would be one possibility. But even then, the Yankees' proposal likely would be topped by at least one of the other clubs.

The Angels, turning more aggressive under new general manager Tony Reagins, could offer third baseman Brandon Wood, catcher Jeff Mathis or Mike Napoli and a choice of premium young arms.

The acquisition of Cabrera would enable the Angels to avoid signing Alex Rodriguez as a free agent and creating a delicate situation with right fielder Vladimir Guerrero. If the Angels gave Rodriguez $30 million per season, it would be more than double what they are paying Guerrero. Cabrera, who is two years away from free agency, is not yet at the salary level of either player.

The interest in Cabrera from both Los Angeles teams increases the Marlins' leverage, as does the interest from both the Red Sox and Yankees. Rodriguez also stands to benefit if Cabrera is traded, even though he would lose a potential suitor. If Cabrera goes to the Angels, it would make Rodriguez that much more desirable to the Dodgers, and vice versa.

per Ken Rosenthal

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 02:04 AM)
Looks like we could kill that noise:

per Ken Rosenthal

The fact that he states that the Red Sox and Yankees are interested totally discredits this report.

The Yanks have come out and said they won't deal multiple young arms for Miggy.

Boston is trying to re-sign Lowell.

I totally believe the Dodgers/Angels interest, but this all sounds like pure speculation on Rosenthal's part.