Miguel Cabrera to the Tigers

fathom

QUOTE(max power @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 07:15 PM)
How are they going to be able to afford to pay him and the rest of the team they field, with a now barren farm?

I have no idea. But who knows where that system will be in 2 years. Other guys could be moved.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:47 AM)
Interesting that the Palm Beach Post guy hasn't posted on his blog since the "halls were buzzing...."

Who else could the Sox be targeting besides Fukudome/Jones/Rowand?

Well there are a few possibilities still out there.

I think we'll really try to sign one of those 3 you've mentioned above. A Quentin - F.J.R - Dye OF looks pretty decent to me.

And of course we could try to dangle Konerko to say the Angels (who still need a big hitter), and try to get something like Juan Rivera, Casey Kotchman plus a spect back? That alone would free up about $10M in salary, and allow us to make another move (maybe get into the Kuroda market), or keep trying to beef up the pen, or hell use it to sign some stud prospects from Latin America or use it in the draft.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:47 PM)
Well, you cant compete with that team now, with a Jerry Owens on the field. They are too far into this with the Cabrera trade & Linebrink signing to rebuild. We simply have to catch the ball now. Either Aaron or Jones HAS to be signed now-or we are 3rd place

I love Kenny Williams trying to tell us that Quentin in LF or Owens possibly in a mix for a starting job is fielding a championship level team when the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Tigers and Indians are in the same league as us.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:54 PM)
Minny making the playoffs and great shouldnt even be in the same post. They've lost a middle of the order hitter and their best player.

and have already added a young middle of the order hitter and will be getting plenty of pitching even with the loss of Santana

I really don't think they are too worried

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:57 PM)
and have already added a young middle of the order hitter and will be getting plenty of pitching even with the loss of Santana

I really don't think they are too worried

Quentin is a question mark, and he certainly doesn't make this team a championship level club like Williams says his goal is.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 07:47 PM)
Well, you cant compete with that team now, with a Jerry Owens on the field. They are too far into this with the Cabrera trade & Linebrink signing to rebuild. We simply have to catch the ball now. Either Aaron or Jones HAS to be signed now-or we are 3rd place

I'm getting tired of seeing this. Aaron Rowand is not going to be a big key in making this team compete. He simply isn't that great in the first place. Unfortunately, he's the most likely of the CF's to be signed.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:50 PM)
With Johan to the Sawx and Miggy to the Tigers, the National League should withdraw from the World Series. Frankly the Willis pickup doesn't do much for the Tigers but man oh man is Miggy a stud. Its too bad we have a bunch of 35 year olds because I'd be more than willing to accept rebuilding because the division is not looking too good for us now. Hell a rebuilding Minnesota might be better than us "going for it now" and thats even without Johan.

I don't understand the age thing...the Tigers are:

C Ivan Rodriguez - 36

1B Carlos Guillen - 32

2B Placido Polanco - 32

SS Edgar Renteria - 32

3B Miguel Cabrera - 24

LF Jacque Jones - 32

CF Curtis Granderson - 26

RF Magglio Ordonez - 33

DH Gary Sheffield - 39

Pitchers

Bonderman - 25

Verlander - 25

Willis - 26

Rogers - 43

Robertson - 30

White Sox

C AJ - 31

1B Paulie - 31

2B Richar - 24

SS O Cab - 33

3B Fields - 25/Crede - 29

LF Quentin - 25

CF Owens - 26

RF Dye - 33

DH Thome - 37

Pitchers

Buehrle - 29

Vazquez - 31

Contreras - 36 (supposedly)

Danks - 22

Floyd - 25

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 07:00 PM)
Quentin is a question mark, and he certainly doesn't make this team a championship level club like Williams says his goal is.

It wouldn't shock me to see him put up better numbers than tori hunter.

Edited by max power

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 12:57 AM)
The package they get for Johann will be franchise changing. Nathan will also bring back a nice package. If everything goes to plan for Minny, they will be set up very nice for 2010.

As it stands, the same can't be said for the Sox.

I agree... even if the Twins take a little step back next year (which i don't think will be that much back) there future is going to be very bright. The Tigers were willing to give up an aweful lot for Miggy but they are in a much better possition to win this year than we are... I don't care what people say about the 'promise' of Danks, Gio and Floyd.. they havent prove anything yet..and who is to say they will pan out? The Indians and Tigers have much better rotations than us...

WIth the state of our farm system, i don't expect to aqcuire any major superstar via a trade for the next 3 years.. its free agency or bust..and its not like the Sox ever outbid other teams on "the big fish". Even if we get Anduw or Rowand we won't be able to keep up with the Tigers or Indians.

As you can tell im a little pissed right now. If KW can somehow someway pick up Bedard, I would be MUCH MUCH happier.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 07:08 PM)
As I said, I respect the Tigers for going for it all right now, but they are in trouble down the line, now more than ever. They have a very old core, and with the Flordia deal, they just traded basically all their replacements.

Even if they sign Cabrera long term, they still are in trouble down the road. However if the can win the series in the next two years, it will be worth it.

I find that very funny considering the Sox just won TWO YEARS AGO!!!

/green

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 07:03 PM)
I'm getting tired of seeing this. Aaron Rowand is not going to be a big key in making this team compete. He simply isn't that great in the first place. Unfortunately, he's the most likely of the CF's to be signed.

I really hope that Kenny doesn't go for a quick win with a Rowand signing to appease Sox fans. He would help, but I think he's a complementary player who will probably be overpaid.

QUOTE(max power @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 07:05 PM)
It wouldn't shock me to see him put up better numbers than tori hunter.

While I hope you are correct, I don't see this happening.

Even so, with an unknown, I think you have to have enough around him so that he can hopefully complement the rest of the talent. In other words, I really hope we don't have to overly depend on a guy like this breaking out to keep up respectable.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 07:15 PM)
While I hope you are correct, I don't see this happening.

Even so, with an unknown, I think you have to have enough around him so that he can hopefully complement the rest of the talent. In other words, I really hope we don't have to overly depend on a guy like this breaking out to keep up respectable.

I think we need him, fields, richar and one of the young pitchers to break out to at least their respective levels of major league talent for us to compete. That's why I scoff when people say things like "no hope." Its possible, there's hope, its just very unlikely.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 07:08 PM)
As I said, I respect the Tigers for going for it all right now, but they are in trouble down the line, now more than ever. They have a very old core, and with the Flordia deal, they just traded basically all their replacements.

Even if they sign Cabrera long term, they still are in trouble down the road. However if the can win the series in the next two years, it will be worth it.

Of course if both Mcab and Dontrelle leave for free agency they get a min of 3 good draft picks.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 09:08 PM)

With a potential quartet of pitchers the caliber of Verlander, Bonderman, Willis and Porcello...I think the Tigers will be alright three or four years down the road. And with an owner seemingly willing to increase his payroll as high as anyone not named the Yankees or Red Sox, I think Detroit will be in fine position in the market to restock their DH, C, 1B and RF positions in a few years. With one of the best GM's in the game in Dave Dombrowski running the show...if I were a Tiger fan, (which I am) I'd be pretty confident that Detroit will be able to remain competitive for the foreseeable future.

PS. I guess this means I need a new avatar now. lol. Oh well, to get Miggy...it was worth it.

QUOTE(max power @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:18 PM)
I think we need him, fields, richar and one of the young pitchers to break out to at least their respective levels of major league talent for us to compete. That's why I scoff when people say things like "no hope." Its possible, there's hope, its just very unlikely.

I wouldn't say "Very unlikely". The odds aren't in favor of that happening, but it's certainly not beyond the realm of possibilities.

This trade makes the Tigers offense more potent, but makes their pitching staff more questionable. As far as the White Sox are concerned, they're exactly where they were before hand: The performance of that team will be entirely determined by Buehrle, Vazquez, Contreras, Floyd, and Danks.

QUOTE(max power @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 07:18 PM)

I'm one of those who don't see much hope. Fields could hit 30 HR's, Richar could hit .280, Denks could get 14 wins, and we still have major holes in our rotation because Contreras sucks, and the #5 will too.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)
I'm one of those who don't see much hope. Fields could hit 30 HR's, Richar could hit .280, Denks could get 14 wins, and we still have major holes in our rotation because Contreras sucks, and the #5 will too.

Well, we can only pin so much on September and August stats, but I still find some solace in the fact that both Contreras and Floyd performed quite well come September and for Jose, August as well. And I still like the depth we have in having Gio and Egbert as other options...

But at least we'll see. I know one thing, this is the thread I'll be digging up if somehow the White Sox go on a hot streak early in the season.

I would love to have everyone's foresight into the 2008 season...good or bad. That way I can pick stocks that are going to go up...bet on all the teams that are going to win...and maybe, just maybe stop Britney from having that 4th kid.

C'mon guys...I understand disappointment over not getting Hunter and MCab, I'm disappointed too. But until they actually get on the field and play the games, we have no idea what's going to happen.

AGAIN, no one really expected the White Sox to win in '05 or the Cards to win in '06. In fact, discounting the two Red Sox wins and possibly the Angels win, the other 4 World Series winners since 2000 weren't expected. So, before we write off the season, can we at least see what might happen by, oh, I don't know, September?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 07:30 PM)
Verlander=Stud.

Bonderman=Overrated to me. 5.01 ERA last season, 4.78 ERA career. Not very impressive.

Willis=5+ ERA this season, and is going to the AL. Uh-oh

Porcello=Never seen him throw a pitch, so can't say anything about him. Sure is hyped though, sounds solid.

Listen, I would give anything to be the in the Tigers position right now. Dombrowski just put his team in a fantastic position to win the World Series in 08, and probably 09. Thats all you can really ask for. I'm just looking at the team, and not seeing a very bright future down the road. Things can change.

Don't forget rogers. Aging, injured last year. I expect this is his last year.

I'm starting to wonder if I would trade the sox for the tigers. Though they have a potent offense, their starting rotation is scary weak. Everything about that says possible playoffs with an early exit.

Edited by max power