Miguel Cabrera to the Tigers

fathom

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:11 AM)
Ozzie's wife told Cabrera about it, after Ozzie called her and told her he was dealt. Everyone is saying what a pain in the ass the Marlins have been to deal with. This couldn't fall through, could it? Keep Cabrera out of the AL Central, unless he's with the White Sox.

This deal is not going to fall through.

(I write this because I'm usually wrong, and can hope I am again)

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 01:11 PM)
Ozzie's wife told Cabrera about it, after Ozzie called her and told her he was dealt. Everyone is saying what a pain in the ass the Marlins have been to deal with. This couldn't fall through, could it? Keep Cabrera out of the AL Central, unless he's with the White Sox.

Don't get your hopes up. There are 8 players involved and I can't even speculate on the paper work that might go into each player's movement (actually I have no clue at all).

That said, it is odd that they haven't informed any agents or players. There could be a money issue with Miller. I wonder if the Marlins want the Tigers to pay some of that deal because it could be worth $7.5 million.

4 years/$5.4M (2006-09)

* Miller may opt out of contract early & go to arbitration

* escalators may bring total package to $7.5M, based on when Miller makes 25-man roster

Something tells me that could be a cause of concern for the Marlins.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE(G&T @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 02:31 PM)
Don't get your hopes up. There are 8 players involved and I can't even speculate on the paper work that might go into each player's movement (actually I have no clue at all).

That said, it is odd that they haven't informed any agents or players. There could be a money issue with Miller. I wonder if the Marlins want the Tigers to pay some of that deal because it could be worth $7.5 million.

Maybe...maybe not. Not sure about the ethics of this...but if that window is till open...maybe Kenny can keep the lines of communication open and possibly sweeten the pot a little. But in all likelihood...it's done.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
Maybe...maybe not. Not sure about the ethics of this...but if that window is till open...maybe Kenny can keep the lines of communication open and possibly sweeten the pot a little. But in all likelihood...it's done.

It doesn't appear as if the Marlins worry too much about ethics.

"The 24-year-old wunderkind Cabrera ironically was riding in the car of White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen's wife in Miami (she was taking him to the airport for a trip to Venezuela) when Guillen called to inform him of the trade to one of the White Sox's chief rival. Guillen's White Sox craved Cabrera but apparently didn't have the goods to get a deal done, as not even a pairing of third baseman Josh Fields and pitcher Gio Gonzalez could beat Miller and Maybin." - Jon Heyman (SI.com)

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 04:47 PM)
3:45 p.m., from Amy Nelson

• Andrew Miller got a phone call within the hour from Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski that he was traded to Florida, which signals that the deal is official.

press conference for the deal is now....so nevermind about the deal not being done

for what its worth the marlins payroll next year to start may be 8 millions dollars......the yankees will probably average that per player....the marlins highest paid player will probably be andrew miller (if he makes the team) at a bit over a million per year....otherwise it will be kevin gregg at around .5 mil per year....

unbelievable....but i heard on mike and mike this morning that someone in the marlins office confessed that they had 350 people show up to a game last year.....i have to think that more than 350 people work at the cell alone

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 04:19 PM)
for what its worth the marlins payroll next year to start may be 8 millions dollars......the yankees will probably average that per player....the marlins highest paid player will probably be andrew miller (if he makes the team) at a bit over a million per year....otherwise it will be kevin gregg at around .5 mil per year....

unbelievable....but i heard on mike and mike this morning that someone in the marlins office confessed that they had 350 people show up to a game last year.....i have to think that more than 350 people work at the cell alone

I heard today the Marlins are guaranteed $60 million in revenue if they don't sell 1 ticket. Loria is printing money.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
I heard today the Marlins are guaranteed $60 million in revenue if they don't sell 1 ticket. Loria is printing money.

Yeah there's no real incentive for him to build a winner right now, what would the team likely to move in the future, and the amount of money he's making.

I don't know if Loria will be that happy if the Devil Rays were to get their new stadium as well.

That team needs to be moved ASAP. Ship em off to Portland.

Tigers possibly looking to deal Dontrelle per Rotoworld. Your complaints that Williams should have done that will be dumb emotional ones as we couldn't compete with Maybin and Miller.

"According to Sweeney Murti on WFAN, the Tigers have approached the Mets about Dontrelle Willis, with Ivan Rodriguez also perhaps being involved.

It appears that the Tigers would like to shed some salary after picking up Miguel Cabrera, and this would be a creative way of doing it. The Mets have long been interested in Willis, but the Marlins didn't want to trade him in the division. If they took on both Willis and Pudge, they'd be adding $20 million to the payroll -- or maybe $15 million if they threw back Brian Schneider -- and they might have to extend Rodriguez in order to get him to waive his no-trade protection."

But $20 mil for Willis and Pudge and you have to sign Pudge for an extra year and give up the catcher they just traded Milledge for?

I can't see that happening, not worth it for the Mets.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 07:13 PM)
Tigers possibly looking to deal Dontrelle per Rotoworld. Your complaints that Williams should have done that will be dumb emotional ones as we couldn't compete with Maybin and Miller.

is miller even the real deal? he was horrible when i saw him pitch last year

Speaking with WFAN, beat reporter Sweeny Murti said…

“Omar Minaya said he inquired about Dontrelle Willis, but the Marlins were not going to deal him within the division.

“However, the Tigers have explored the idea of spinning him off, and they have contacted the Mets. There wasn’t an official offer presented to Omar, but what was talked about, from what I was told, they talked about spinning off Willis. In addition, though, the Mets would have to take on some salary. The Tigers are interested, perhaps, in moving Willis and Ivan Rodriguez and dumping his salary, which is $13 million next season. So, if the Mets wanted Willis from Detroit, they’d have to take on that salary. The thing is, he has a no trade clause, so to get him to waive it you’d probably have to give him another year.”

hey, i like it. willis has sucked for years now. their pitching staff is nothing to brag about given Zumaya's dead arm post injury and todd jones aka batting practice in the borowski mold. bonderman ain't she it IMO, as he continues to give up a ton of runs to start nearly every game and has tiger fans asking themselves, do we trade "Bondy" while his stock is still somewhat high?

Miller, Maybin, and those other prospects are actually a great business move on the Marlins' part. People like to hate on Florida for trading their players away but they netted an incredible hall for an outstanding offensive player without a real position plus a pitcher past his best years. Willis has a ton of miles and to be frank has sucked a lot of late, heck he's a #4 pitcher/#3 pitcher at best.

their line up is gaudy but they're not proven. renteria already bombed in the AL once, i bet he does it again. plus do i need to remind us how many White Sox straight up OWN the Tigers? crede, fields, jenks, ect.

Edited by DonnyDevito

hey, i like it. willis has sucked for years now. their pitching staff is nothing to brag about given Zumaya's dead arm post injury and todd jones aka batting practice in the borowski mold. bonderman ain't she it IMO, as he continues to give up a ton of runs to start nearly every game and has tiger fans asking themselves, do we trade "Bondy" while his stock is still somewhat high?

Miller, Maybin, and those other prospects are actually a great business move on the Marlins' part. People like to hate on Florida for trading their players away but they netted an incredible hall for an outstanding offensive player without a real position plus a pitcher past his best years. Willis has a ton of miles and to be frank has sucked a lot of late, heck he's a #4 pitcher/#3 pitcher at best.

their line up is gaudy but they're not proven. renteria already bombed in the AL once, i bet he does it again. plus do i need to remind us how many White Sox straight up OWN the Tigers? crede, fields, jenks, ect.

How has Willis sucked for "Years"? Hae you followed the Marlins or are you just assuming he has because he isn't getting the same press as he once was? Maybe he has regressed a little prior to last season and then he imploded but he has not "sucked for years".

3 seasons ago he was final 2 for Cy Young. Should've won it IMO.

2 seasons ago he had a pretty good season despite his record. Name any team who wouldn't have taken that contribution he gave that season on their squad...I'd be shocked if you could name one.

Last season I will give you. Bad season. His stuff was missing velocity and bite. Things to make you weary but it doesn't reflect his ability when it's on or he is full strength.

Crede and Fields own the Tigers? Perhaps true but Josh Fields has had one season against them, hardly enough to make a solid case for and Crede is probably going to be gone. Then Jenks is only useful if we are winning and need him. So that whole statement is arbitrary.

Edited by Chombi

3 seasons ago...mark prior was elite and so was kerry wood!

for your information...i've had willis on my fantasy teams and he has str8 up sucked for a while. i'd take gavin floyd over him to be honest with you and that may sound crazy but floyd was doing great his last 10 starts last season. willis had like a 5.3 ERA last season. we can get that out of Gio easily. all they got was Miggy who is a 3B or could be an outfielder. nobody really knows.

willis has got the name but what gives with his crappy outings every time he takes the mound? I thought he was better than that but i also thought Zumaya would rebound after his injury...which he did NOT! Zumaya is NOW average. maybe he will improve but he got rocked like willis last season.

Edited by DonnyDevito

for your information...i've had willis on my fantasy teams and he has str8 up sucked for atleast 2 years. i'd take gavin floyd over him to be honest with you and that may sound crazy but floyd was doing great his last 6 or 7 or 8 starts last season. willis had like a 5.3 ERA last season. we can get that out of Gio easily. all they got was Miggy who is a 3B or could be an outfielder. nobody really knows.

Wow. Just wow.

Ok the problem isnt what he did last year. I pointed out his performance and more important his issues with his stuff.

Next Prior was good and got hurt...a lot.

Wood, sorry I have never bought into his hype. The guy k'd 20 guys as a rookie and he could never be looked at for anything less then Nolan Ryan in chicago following. He was decent. Not great. Outside of k's, he never put together a season near Willi's 05 campaign.

Next, your fantasy team sums it up. You look at players based on numbers for fantasy baseball. And 2 years ago, his numbers outside of your precious wins...were pretty solid. sub 4 era. His whip was too high for me but I watched him and he was leaving the ball up a lot. His stuff hadn't hit the wall like it did last season but it didn't have the bite and he gave up a lot of homers I believe. I want to say like 20-30. That range.

He just psyched himself out a lot and couldnt get that "out pitch" workin for him. Inturn he walked a lot of guys, hit a lot of guys and like I said...gave up some bombs. His k's were still good and he still threw well over 200 innings I think.

So like I said...05' is out of the question as for being a bad season since he almost won the Cy Young. 06' showed some bad trends but it still all in all was a season ANY TEAM WOULD'VE GLADLY TAKEN. 07' was awful and there is more to it then just him suddenly becoming a bad pitcher. There is something wrong and it could be fixed for all we know.

Last year is it. Say he has been for one year. not "years" because you're implying something that is totally false and clearly something you haven't looked into other then ur depression from selecting willis in the 2nd round of a fantasy draft and him underperforming by that standard.

per usual, great post. however, it remains to be seen how well willis will do against the DH laden American League. Willis seems to lack some key components upstairs where if his stuff isn't overpowering...then forget about him having a good outing. he doesn't have the control or the smarts that buehrle does for example. i can see willis walking a ton of batters and ending up with a 4.75+ ERA, AGAIN, during his first stint in the AL. plus, the Central has big bat after big bat. whether it be mauer, morneau, young and the twins or the indians...tigers...sox...you name it. and that's just the central not to mention teams like the angels, yankees, or red sox. the nl is so weak, a player like Garland could dominate that weak league. i think willis was a big name thrown into the equation. i think it made more sense for the marlins to dump his contract than it did for detroit to pick it but they were willing to do so since they got such an elite offensive player in Miggy. Time will tell.

Edited by DonnyDevito

per usual, great post. however, it remains to be seen how well willis will do against the DH laden American League. Willis seems to lack some key components upstairs where if his stuff isn't overpowering...then forget about him having a good outing. he doesn't have the control or the smarts that buehrle does for example. i can see willis walking a ton of batters and ending up with a 4.75+ ERA, AGAIN, during his first stint in the AL. plus, the Central has big bat after big bat. whether it be mauer, morneau, young and the twins or the indians...tigers...sox...you name it. and that's just the central not to mention teams like the angels, yankees, or red sox. the nl is so weak, a player like Garland could dominate that weak league. i think willis was a big name thrown into the equation. i think it made more sense for the marlins to dump his contract than it did for detroit to pick it but they were willing to do so since they got such an elite offensive player in Miggy. Time will tell.

I do not want my opinion towards Willis to be misconstrued. I am not expecting much on him succeeding in the AL next season. What I am saying is that it is foolish to write this guy off because of one bad season where it clearly was a reflection of stuff.

It's hard to just up and lose stuff at his age. Usually it can be fixed. If its health, mechanics or just pressure. These things can be fixed. I think we are making a mistake by expecting him to bomb instead of expecting a minimum of him settling somewhere between 06 and 07.

No question our division is tough but we have seen weirded things than a Cy Young caliber arm regaining his form. This may have been more a product of switching leagues but take a look at Beckett a couple years back. He got bombed in Boston and rebounded with a Cy Young this season. Something to think about.

I agree it was more of a dump but again, another parallel is the Lowell dump. He was something they used another player for him being dealt. Beckett we know in his case and Cabrera in Dontrelle's. That kind of thing is motivation sometimes and also being put on a contender with less pressure could help.

Just don't rule him out yet and don't draft him for your fantasy team if you can avoid it. :cheers

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 01:08 AM)

for your information...i've had willis on my fantasy teams and he has str8 up sucked for a while. i'd take gavin floyd over him to be honest with you and that may sound crazy but floyd was doing great his last 10 starts last season.

Alright, those keys in your pocket? Walk to the nearest river bank, look upstream, and throw them as far as you can. Get some new ones made in the morning after you get rid of that nasty hangover.

On a more serious note, did anyone take notice to the fact that Dontrelle sucked when the Marlins sucked? He really seems to be the type of pitcher who lives for competition and when he knows his team is going to suck, he just doesn't give a s***. For him, going to Detroit could be a career saver.

Alright, those keys in your pocket? Walk to the nearest river bank, look upstream, and throw them as far as you can. Get some new ones made in the morning after you get rid of that nasty hangover.

On a more serious note, did anyone take notice to the fact that Dontrelle sucked when the Marlins sucked? He really seems to be the type of pitcher who lives for competition and when he knows his team is going to suck, he just doesn't give a s***. For him, going to Detroit could be a career saver.

Yea that is what I have been getting at when I say competition. It's just scary how many of the fans in chicago seem to be writing him off before we have even seen him. He may be healthy, motivated, in great shape, developed an ephus...who knows.

Let's be careful we don't fuel his fire more then it may already be.

Yea that is what I have been getting at when I say competition. It's just scary how many of the fans in chicago seem to be writing him off before we have even seen him. He may be healthy, motivated, in great shape, developed an ephus...who knows.

Let's be careful we don't fuel his fire more then it may already be.

if willis needs fire from fans in chicago to get his act going, he's worse off than I thought. For all we know, he could have a career worst year given how difficult the AL Central and the American League is compared to what he is used to.