Rowand offered 4 yrs/55 million from Sox

fathom

This move wouldn't excite me at all. But at this point, I think KW options are limited. $13.75 Million a year for Aaron Rowand.....wow. I'm glad its not my money.

But it is. everytime you go to the game...

Sounds like KW is desperate and knows that bringing back rowand will be considered a good move on the behalf of most sox fans since so many of us already like him. i want him back on our team, who cares about the price? i'm not a season ticket holder and i smuggle beers into the park instead of paying 7 bucks a pop.

on a side note, i don't think there's a chance in you know where that the ChiSox net Fukudome. everybody wants him.

:gosoxretro:

Edited by DonnyDevito

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My offseason hopes now rely on us getting Fukodome. At least the unknown is more exciting than the slightly better than mediocrity you get with Aaron Rowand. Aaron Rowand is the type of guy you draft and develop when he is inexpensive but you don't pay big money for. Plus with Fukodome we get to hear what nickname Hawk might come up with that will infuriate the FCC...

It's Faker!

everyone says we need a lead off hitter in the true fashion, i just think we need a line up that flows. last season we had stop gaps every where and a lot of automatic outs. this year, with the addition of Orlando Cabrera as well as netting Rowand and benching Uribe, I'm confident our line up will move more freely meaning i expect us to bat around the order a lot more. given how pathetic the offense was last saeason combined with the crap injuries, i see nothing but improvement for the offense and the defense. We added a gold glover, that's hard to deny.

of course, that's all in the event that we add Rowand. If we don't then I don't see why we netted a 33 year old SS. you add one of those to compete now, not for the future.

Edited by DonnyDevito

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
of course, that's all in the event that we add Rowand. If we don't then I don't see why we netted a 33 year old SS. you add one of those to compete now, not for the future.

Why do I constantly feel like the only one who remembers how many times Mr. Rowand stopped the lineup from turning over when he was hitting .270 and putting up a .320 OBP in 2005 and 2006?

I swear, if Uribe got hot enough for a year to hit .320 and put up the kind of numbers we all dream he could, it seems like 95% of the people on this site would suddenly forget the years upon years of mediocrity and want to throw 5/$75 at him.

Edited by Balta1701

i think it's because that rowand isn't/wasn't the same one that was one of the NL's 10 most valuable players last year. Rowand had a ton of clutch hits last season for the Phils and if it wasn't for his play, no way they would have made the postseason. it seemed like the past two years, chicago has had a lame clubhouse. Part of that is PK is not a vocal leader. he's in the ben gordon/luol deng mold...just quiet and attempts to lead by example. rowand is a live wire who can let his play in the field do the talking as well as carrying the clubhouse during the rough stretches. I think PK's poor average last year was partly due to him pressing because he had so much pressure on him.

the thing with rowand is, he never played as good as he did last year. it's tough to judge him on 2004 or 2005 when the Phillies version was probably two or three times better IMO.

that's grinder rule #1 man.

seriously though, the latest example of rowand shows a man who can hit any pitch and hit it far. i think his play in the cell prepped him for that bandbox of a stadium that they have in philadelphia. for all we know, rowand's all star play last season could have given him the confidence in the batter's box that he's always had in the field. some will point out all of the MVP's on philly's roster like rollins or howard but players like cabrera, thome, and konerko are no slouches.

we need a real CF in the worst way. Owens is a nice september call up, but that's it...if you want to be a real contender that is. we have owned the tigers for years and with rowand, chicago would atleast have a shot to compete. if we go into the season with Owens as our starting CF, uh...yeah...we're going to need to have some players to have career years (like in '05) if we expect to hang with Miggy and Motown. Which could happen but we'd have better odds with a proven CF like Rowand. Plus he's a Bears fan...come on already!

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 08:36 AM)
Is it me, or with Jones signing with the Dodgers, what teams are courting Rowand now? Isn't it just us? :huh

lol bcuz no one wants him bcuz he isnt a difference maker. let him go to kc

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 09:04 AM)
Last I heard KC had an offer to Rowand (I have no idea what it was) and Texas was looking for a CF before. Other than that maybe Philly is interested in Rowand still, but it sounded like the price was too high for them. I guess that could always change.

KC was in on Fukudome too. We're being outspent by the Kansas City Royals. Yes, those Royals.

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 09:15 AM)
KC was in on Fukudome too. We're being outspent by the Kansas City Royals. Yes, those Royals.

sure theyre spending more than us this offseason but u cant compare them to us. theyre payroll is 50-60 mil, were at 100 or so. plus they give out stupid contracts. meche 5/51?, guillen 3/12mil per, now silva?

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 09:30 AM)
sure theyre spending more than us this offseason but u cant compare them to us. theyre payroll is 50-60 mil, were at 100 or so. plus they give out stupid contracts. meche 5/51?, guillen 3/12mil per, now silva?

We spent $50 mil more and got three more wins. THEY give out stupid contracts?

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 09:30 AM)

Meche and Guillen were good signings. Meche was excellent last season and Guillen is an excellent hitter and right fielder. It's a much better use of money than paying a .790 OPS centerfielder $15M a year like the Sox might be about to. Just my opinion, but I'd rather have Moore (KC's GM) running the Sox than Kenny Williams.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 09:47 AM)
Meche and Guillen were good signings. Meche was excellent last season and Guillen is coming off a .900 OPS sesaon. It's a much better use of money than paying a .790 OPS centerfielder $15M a year like the Sox might be about to. Just my opinion, but I'd rather have Moore (KC's GM) running the Sox than Kenny Williams.

Meche was a decent signing. Guillen is getting paid to sit out for awhile. Guillen is being overpaid.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 10:01 AM)
Meche was a decent signing. Guillen is getting paid to sit out for awhile. Guillen is being overpaid.

Guillen can hit, but I'm with you, I wouldn't want to be on the hook for $36 million with him. He is the loosest of cannons. If Guillen gets suspended, all the guys in the Mitchell report and all the guys like Byrd and Matthews Jr. are going to get suspended as well. Its going to be a very interesting report.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 10:08 AM)
You still have your numbers a bit off :P

Guillen had a .813 OPS last season, and has a career .772 OPS.

Rowand had a .889 OPS last season, and has a career .805 OPS.

If Rowand had never played for the Sox before, people would love to get him.

Guillen has so many character issues as well.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 10:08 AM)
You still have your numbers a bit off :P

Guillen had a .813 OPS last season, and has a career .772 OPS.

Rowand had a .889 OPS last season, and has a career .805 OPS.

If Rowand had never played for the Sox before, people would love to get him.

I think I was going with a 3-year average for Rowand. You are right I totally mangled Guillen's OPS from last season. So much for my math skills.

If you look at Guillen's numbers, he's had an OPS of .813 or over for something like 5 of the last 6 years and was not very good before that. His breakout season coincided with a stay with Oakland. Sort of an interesting coincidence there.