Richar

joejoesox

Kid still hasn't arrived for ST, and it's already game 1 of cactus league play today

this has to look absolutely terrible for his image, and whatever chance he had of being considered for 2B this year is probably just a dim glow now

what do you guys think? is it true that he was told to try and take care of his VISA issues in advance so this wouldn't happen? this sounds ridiculous to me.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)
I must have missed something the past few weeks... why is a visa problem Richar's fault? Did he forget to submit some paperwork or something?

its richars fault bcuz he knew when he had to be here. he shouldnt have waited till the last second to get it.

>>Guillen said, ''If you're supposed to be in spring training one day, you're not going to get your visa the day before.''

Edited by Melissa1334

Not getting to camp on time is absolutely inexcusable for a young player trying to make a club.

Doesn't he have an agent? You'd think an agent working on a player's behalf would help make sure stuff like this didn't happen.

Edited by scenario

Francisco Liriano, Juan Salas, Willy Aybar, Joel Guzman, Tony Pena, Juan Cruz, Juan Gutierrez, Jesus Colome, Luis Ayala, Jose Lopez, Jesus Flores, Francisco Cruceta, Dennys Reyes, Tony Armas Jr, Jorge Julio, Fernando Tatis, Alfredo Simon, Carlos Maldonado, Romulo Sanchez, Henry Rodriguez, Omar Beltre, Alexi Ogando, Robinson Diaz, Pedro Lopez, Hector Luna, Alexi Castilla and Carlos Martinez have ALL had visa problems.

So at least 28 players have shown up late to camp. I don't get it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)
Francisco Liriano, Juan Salas, Willy Aybar, Joel Guzman, Tony Pena, Juan Cruz, Juan Gutierrez, Jesus Colome, Luis Ayala, Jose Lopez, Jesus Flores, Francisco Cruceta, Dennys Reyes, Tony Armas Jr, Jorge Julio, Fernando Tatis, Alfredo Simon, Carlos Maldonado, Romulo Sanchez, Henry Rodriguez, Omar Beltre, Alexi Ogando, Robinson Diaz, Pedro Lopez, Hector Luna, Alexi Castilla and Carlos Martinez have ALL had visa problems.

Who does Tatis play for these days? He has a record that will never be broken, a couple actually.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)

Does Liriano have options left? Clearly his absence from camp is intolerable and he should start the season in the minors.

How many games did Uribe miss last year because of that whole shooting thing? How much time has Podsednik missed in the Spring the last few years before still winding up the starter? Hopefully Danny's been smart, stayed in contact with the team, and done some workouts. But you'd be crazy to send a kid to the minors because he missed the first week of ST because of immigration issues.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 11:59 PM)
Good to finally have him in camp, but I still think the starting job is going to Uribe.

No doubt... and I'm sure this was decided before any visa problems. Honestly, Richar could hit .400+ this spring, I still don't see him pegged as the opening day stater. That job belongs to Senor Juan, unless he f's up so bad at 2nd...they have no choice. The visa problem may very well come into play on wheter or not Richar makes this team, which at this point, I'd say he's on the outside looking in.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
No doubt... and I'm sure this was decided before any visa problems. Honestly, Richar could hit .400+ this spring, I still don't see him pegged as the opening day stater. That job belongs to Senor Juan, unless he f's up so bad at 2nd...they have no choice. The visa problem may very well come into play on wheter or not Richar makes this team, which at this point, I'd say he's on the outside looking in.

If Richar hits .400 in the spring and looks good doing it, he's the starter. He was the favorite to start to begin with, and they traded a pretty damn good prospect to get him, so they aren't just going to give up on him because of one mistake on his part.

And they do have a choice. Uribe's not making so much that they have to play him. It's not a 4 year, $40 mill deal; it's a one year obligation of $4.5 mill which allows them to even DFA him if he were bad enough this year.

To top it off, I'd imagine if any team says they are willing to give anything with a little bit of talent up for Uribe, he'd be gone in a second.