Official How Many Games Will the Sox Win Thread

maggsmaggs

Sox Wins  

131 members have voted

1. 1. How many games with the White Sox win in 2008?

• 70-73
    • 74-77
    • 78-81
    • 82-85
    • 86-89
    • 90-93
    • 94-97
    • 98-100

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
Wow. With all the negativity I've read on here all winter and spring I can't believe I'm the only one going wins 70-73 wins, though I can imagine even worse. I've got a real bad feeling about this year and I so hope I'm wrong. Maybe it's just that I'm totally miffed that Uribe is still on this team. Defensively the Sox are pretty darn good. Offensively pretty darn below average. I foresee a lot of those homers and not much else type games. Pitching....ugh. Contreras, Floyd and Danks scare the crap out of me although they probably don't have that effect on the rest of the AL. As for the bullpen, nothing but a bunch of question marks and ho-hums aside from Jenks.

You, sir, have an excellent signature. Zappa & the MOI ftw!

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
wow, the Tigers win only 79? With possibly the best offense in baseball, and a pitching staff which ain't all that bad, they only muster up 79 wins? But we get 90... wow. I'd take it, but I am being kind when I say HIGHLY unlikely.

I have a feeling guys like Sheffield, Renteria, and Pudge might break down this year. Then who would they have besides Granderson, Maggs, Palanco, and M Cab. Sure you can argue that is a great 1-4 group of hitters, but, they have no production in the rest of that line-up. Their pitching sucks, with the exceptions of Verlander right now and Rick Porcello in the future. D Willis doesn't look like he'll be coming around anytime soon either. Bullpen is among the worst in the league too.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
For the upcomming season...

Vazquez = Verlander

Rogers

Bonderman > Contrera

Willis >= Danks

Robertson >= Floyd

So, to take into account their rotation is as good or even better then ours, plus they have the best offense in baseball, it's tough to see how they will win only 79, but we somehow win 90.

Our only real advantage against them is our pen. Todd Jones is gonna get lit up.

Like I said, I have talked about this too much. Go look through my posts if you want to know my opinion on their staff. Talking to you is dreadful in general.

Edited by max power

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
On the bolded... do you have those reversed? Because I'd say the opposite on each.

No. That is what I believe. With Crede back at 3rd and the addition of Cabrera I believe defensively they're pretty darn good. Offensively, other than hitting homers, which their opponents will probably do more of, I think they are below average.

Though I often look at individual players through rose colored glasses I cannot do the same for the team as a whole. 81 wins seems just about right for a team with our rotation. If young players like Danks , Floyd, Ramirez, Quentin ,Richar, Fields, Owens and Anderson all prove they can play I see the potential for a much better season. Even better if Uribe, Contreras and Crede come through. Thats 11 players I just named who are total question marks. Then add most of the bullpen since bullpens are always unknowns and we have 60% of the 25 man roster that can possibly implode or explode. More than likely when it comes to young players all we can hope for is roughly a third of them becoming solid Major leaguers this year. In order to win the division I'd say the most important factors are Contreras, Danks and Floyd. If those 3 come through thing change quickly. When you have roughly 14 or 15 players on the roster who can possibly suck its hard to be optimistic. Add in the slowness ,aging and injury factors to players we can actually count on for solid seasons like Thome, Dye and Konerko and I'm actually convincing myself that 81 wins is optimistic.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(heirdog @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
81. We will be average and always lingering in 3rd place in the division, flirting with 2nd so we won't make any drastic trades. In fact, we may trade more young players by July with the hope to catapult us to 2nd place but we will end up with a 3rd place finish about 18 back from Detroit and 8 back of Cleveland.

I agree, we'll be a .500 team. The main reason is the starting pitching. We only have one guy we can truly count on in Buehrle. I think Javy will be fine, but hasn't had back-to-back good seasons in a while. After those two, it's totally up in the air. John Danks is really the key, IMO. If he steps up and becomes a solid #3, we have a legit shot. If not, we're in deep trouble. Contreras is over the hill, and let's face it, Gavin Floyd is not good and never will be, no matter how much we may hope.

The defense also concerns me, with Swisher in CF. Given the shakiness of the staff, we need Anderson out there, or at least Owens when he's healthy. I can already see the gappers falling before Swisher can get to them...

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 07:10 AM)
You think they are going to go 67-95?

That would be last place in this division, almost certainly.

If they won 72 and you minus 7, wouldn't that be 65-97? That is what he is predicting.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 08:54 AM)
If they won 72 and you minus 7, wouldn't that be 65-97? That is what he is predicting.

Oh yeah, I got my math wrong. More than anything I was just expressing surprise - I haven't heard anyone else say anything as bad as 32 games under .500.

Im going to remain my usual optimistic self and say the Sox go 92-70 and surprise everyone. Slam me if you please, I dont really care to argue, I just would rather hope that they are going to do well than dwell on thinking that they are gonna suck.

I have a similar feeling to this year that i had in 2005, i dont know whats going to happen, but I dont have a sinking feeling about the season like I did last year.

QUOTE(Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 07:07 PM)
Start at 162 and subtract one for every game Joe Crede, Juan Uribe, Jerry Owens, or Gavin Floyd takes the field.

I don't think it's possible to have a negative win total.