Would today be a good day to start Brian Anderson?

Bubba Philips

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 11:54 AM)
Jesus Christ, it's 5 going on 6 games into the season. By the way you are talking, you'd think they haven't had a day off in 20 days.

So explain why Toby "I Can't Hit for Crap" Hall was in the lineup against a division rival yesterday.

It's a long season and you want to give your players (especially aging, injury-prone veterans) a day off on occasion. Does JD need a day off? No. But it'd be nice to give him a break (but still allow him to DH, as he's hitting well now), since we've already won the series. It'd also be nice to work some of our over-crowded outfield into the lineup.

Edited by WCSox

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
So explain why Toby "I Can't Hit for Crap" Hall was in the lineup against a division rival yesterday.

It's a long season and you want to give your players (especially aging, injury-prone veterans) a day off on occasion. Does JD need a day off? No. But it'd be nice to give him a break, since we've already won the series. It'd also be nice to work some of our over-crowded outfield into the lineup.

Catching is a lot different than rf.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
Jesus Christ, it's 5 going on 6 games into the season. By the way you are talking, you'd think they haven't had a day off in 20 days.

So Jim Thome going on the 15 day DL last year on April 27th because of a strained ribcage has no relevance to the conversation?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...i-sportstop-hed

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
Whaaaa?!!!

:lolhitting

Did you forget about 2006? Anderson could barely hit above .200! he's got a nice arm but that's about it.

2006 was what, 2 seasons ago? Are people not allowed to develop? Jesus christ, what a horrible argument for being against BA.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
Yeah, AJ and Toby Hall aren't diving after line drives.

Come on now. Catching is by far the most physically demanding position on the field and there is no close second. This is common knowledge.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
Come on now. Catching is by far the most physically demanding position on the field and there is no close second. This is common knowledge.

I never said it wasn't. But do you really want to run an aging JD out there 155 times this season? I don't.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
2006 was what, 2 seasons ago? Are people not allowed to develop? Jesus christ, what a horrible argument for being against BA.

Plus it really isn't fair to hold someone's numbers their first couple of months after getting called up against them... Alex Rodriguez didn't do much of anything (.224 BA) his first 65 games after getting called up for those 2 years. Then when he got a full-time job he hit .358 and we know the rest. Obviously I'm not comparing Alex Rodriguez to Brian Anderson, but only saying... yeah... players develop.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
I never said it wasn't. But do you really want to run an aging JD out there 155 times this season? I don't.

I agree that Dye and Thome could use some time off now and then to stay fresh since we appear to have the depth. I just thought it was kinda ridiculous to put catching and RF on the same level is all.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 12:14 PM)
I agree that Dye and Thome could use some time off now and then to stay fresh since we appear to have the depth. I just thought it was kinda ridiculous to put catching and RF on the same level is all.

Of course they're not. Then again, it's relatively easy for a 34-year-old outfielder to pull a calf or hamstring in cool weather.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)
Of course they're not. Then again, it's really easy for a 34-year-old outfielder to pull a calf or hamstring in cool weather.

The fact that you say that actually reminds me that JD did that last year and then tried to hide it and play through it which was why he sucked last year.

Wasn't everyone talking about the new leaf that BA showed in Spring Training? It would be nice to see him get at least an at-bat today.

People talk about BA's bad attitude last season - but I can kind of understand that. You're told that you have to play for your job in the spring and you do. You play well enough to deserve the spot and you're left to rot. For weeks, hardly getting more than a couple spot at-bats each week. It's like you know the cards are stacked against you before you get on the field, or at bat. I just hope that this time around there is good communication between BA and Oz about the plan for him this year, and the plan isn't just to let him rot.

And if the plan is a BA trade come midseason, playing time might actually make him palatable to another team.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
Wasn't everyone talking about the new leaf that BA showed in Spring Training? It would be nice to see him get at least an at-bat today.

People talk about BA's bad attitude last season - but I can kind of understand that. You're told that you have to play for your job in the spring and you do. You play well enough to deserve the spot and you're left to rot. For weeks, hardly getting more than a couple spot at-bats each week. It's like you know the cards are stacked against you before you get on the field, or at bat. I just hope that this time around there is good communication between BA and Oz about the plan for him this year, and the plan isn't just to let him rot.

And if the plan is a BA trade come midseason, playing time might actually make him palatable to another team.

I wanted him to play coming out of ST this season too, but the difference between this season is that if Anderson gets stuck on the bench, the players playing ahead of him don't suck and aren't useless. A certain someone would've made a really good 4th OF on this team but noo... anyway, that's water under the bridge.

I believe he can hit.. 2006 he had a few bad months but did hit well above the Mendoza line in july and August of 2006.. July 22 64 9 20 7 0 1 7 2 13 2 1 .313 .328 .469 .797

august 26 71 11 21 5 1 1 7 6 13 0 3 .296 .367 .437 .804 I think we have a talent here and no one on the sox staff to develop it...This is a 135 ab sample............

Edited by forrestg

QUOTE(lostfan @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)
I wanted him to play coming out of ST this season too, but the difference between this season is that if Anderson gets stuck on the bench, the players playing ahead of him don't suck and aren't useless.

That is the one thing that's different this year as opposed to last year. We are looking at Swisher and Quentin ahead of him in CF and LF as opposed to Podsednik and Erstad. Those two are studs; BA not getting his shot has absolutely nothing to do with his ability and more to do with how good those two are. He will eventually get his shot so long as Owens stays hurt, and from that point, it's probably his 4th OF spot to lose.

Today's national TV and tomorrow's the home opener.

I hope we can get an Anderson sighting on Tuesday and Wednesday in order to give Thome and Dye and maybe PK some extra time at DH or so on those days.

We're going for a sweep of the Tigers on national TV tonight. We had a lineup that worked the last couple days. Play it again, Ozzie. And this is from an Anderson fan. Pencil him in on Tuesday and Wednesday.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
Today's national TV and tomorrow's the home opener.

I hope we can get an Anderson sighting on Tuesday and Wednesday in order to give Thome and Dye and maybe PK some extra time at DH or so on those days.

We're going for a sweep of the Tigers on national TV tonight. We had a lineup that worked the last couple days. Play it again, Ozzie. And this is from an Anderson fan. Pencil him in on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I have to disagree with this. We've already won the series, so if Ozzie wants to rest a starter or two, tonight is the night to do it. The fact that it's on national TV shouldn't matter.

I wouldn't have a problem with Ozzie playing our usual lineup, but I definitely don't want to see Bobby or Linebrink out there tonight. Those guys need a day off.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
I have to disagree with this. We've already won the series, so if Ozzie wants to rest a starter or two, tonight is the night to do it. The fact that it's on national TV shouldn't matter.

I wouldn't have a problem with Ozzie playing our usual lineup, but I definitely don't want to see Bobby or Linebrink out there tonight. Those guys need a day off.

I disagree with this line of thinking. Just cause we've won the series doesn't make todays game any less important than tomorrows.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
I disagree with this line of thinking. Just cause we've won the series doesn't make todays game any less important than tomorrows.

That may be true, but it's better to focus on winning a series than trying to win every single game. And while you don't want to "concede" a game, you can't throw your starters out there every single time and let your backups rot on the bench. IMO, the best time to get the utility players at-bats is after a series has already been won.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
I can justify it by saying he's still extremely young, and we have other young players that need to be given a chance too. I've always been a fan of the theory that we need to put the best team on the field at all times, and I can't say that we have that right now, ONLY because BA hasn't been given his fair chance. Why not let Brian and Quetin rotate for a few weeks, and see what we have? If Quetin out-performs, fine, let him have it, I'd be fine with that, but I think its pretty agreed upon that Brian seems to have turned the corner.

I just want to see what the kid can do at this level. Besides, if he can do well, maybe next year we have an outfield of Swisher-BA-Quetin. That's probably even the best solution now with how old Dye is getting (although, he is raking at the plate right now).

IF you have the two of them rotating you are really asking for them to both fail as neither would truly be given an opportunity. The reality is Brian Anderson had a full season to prove himself and he didn't. Now he's going to have to have a few things go his way (on top of doing nothing but busting his ass) to get a second shot at starting every day (and he better make the most of it if that chance happens again in Chicago).

I'm not saying BA can't be a good player, but there is no way you could possibly make a case for sitting Carlos Quentin over him. Quentin has better tools, is patient at the plate and projects to be such a better player (not to mention he already is a better player).

IT may not be fair, but when you have two other veterans who are locks to start (Dye/Swisher) than BA is just going to be the odd man out (I will say that I would see the point if Owens was starting every day and BA was just stuck behind him with the Sox not having Quentin).