Carlos Quentin

DBAHO

QUOTE(daa84 @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=loFA83ESREo

i would say you are correct sir, very similar stances...little bit of an uppercut swing, especially on the low pitch...

btw its always amazing to me how much of a local hero tim salmon was to the angel fans, but i guess he did play his whole career there and was fairly decent

I never was a big Salmon fan, always thought he was over-rated but today when looking for his stance to verify my assumptions were correct I stopped by his baseball reference page and the guy was pretty damn good when healthy (very good eye and a rock solid defensive RFer). I guess my issue was I remember him for his last few years where he was pretty broken down (he consistently posted above average OPS+'s though).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 11:06 AM)
I never was a big Salmon fan, always thought he was over-rated but today when looking for his stance to verify my assumptions were correct I stopped by his baseball reference page and the guy was pretty damn good when healthy (very good eye and a rock solid defensive RFer). I guess my issue was I remember him for his last few years where he was pretty broken down (he consistently posted above average OPS+'s though).

Just looking at his numbers when healthy he was a 30/100 .900 guy which is pretty much all you ask of your rightfielder.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 10:10 AM)
Just looking at his numbers when healthy he was a 30/100 .900 guy which is pretty much all you ask of your rightfielder.

Yep. I would love to have Quentin put up those sort of numbers for most of his career in Chicago and I think he has that sort of ability.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
very true hi8us....however i believe there is a difference with Carlos....mainly much of the hype surrounding this guy isnt from a message board, or even from the upper management in the front office like many sox prospects...the hype from quentin came nationally from baseball america, BP and others...not to mention unlike our top prospects who have all had issues with stirke zone judgement, quentin excelled at....and alot of sabrmetricians (and even regular scouts for that matter) agree that ability to command the strike zone in the minors is the best indicator of future major league success...so while anderson was our #1 pick who we all heard alot about, quentin is a totally different animal...anderson was a "tools" guy, while quentin had the stats and tools

i was just pretty much saying that reading the hype and seeing him play these last few games has been two entirely different things. =)

good observations thou! =)

In Terms of Production is see him as a better Version of Pat Burrell, a lesser version of JD Drew but with a better attitude and a bit more power; i think he'll OPS over 900 more than twice in his career and play a well above average RF.

QUOTE(beautox @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
In Terms of Production is see him as a better Version of Pat Burrell, a lesser version of JD Drew but with a better attitude and a bit more power; i think he'll OPS over 900 more than twice in his career and play a well above average RF.

Hopefully more healthy than JD Drew...but I'll take that comparison.

QUOTE(beautox @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 02:48 PM)

wow...i would consider pat burrell a bit better than j.d. drew

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 04:05 PM)

I think he meant when healthy. Burrell's more productive b/c he stays on the field, but he's .259/.368/.483 career compared to Drew's .285/.390/.502. Drew's got a pretty great bat when his hamstrings allow him to walk out to the batter's box.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
Hopefully more healthy than JD Drew...but I'll take that comparison.

Yeah i hope Carlos can put the injuries in the rear view mirror.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 06:06 PM)
I think he meant when healthy. Burrell's more productive b/c he stays on the field, but he's .259/.368/.483 career compared to Drew's .285/.390/.502. Drew's got a pretty great bat when his hamstrings allow him to walk out to the batter's box.

I did and :lol: @

Quentin's AAA numbers suggest that he's going to get on base at around a .365 clip and slug around .465. From watching him in the field he looks to be a + baserunner (in smarts and speed combined) and also to have a great arm and passable range in either corner.

He's also cheap and young -- what's not to like? Only the injury history: hopefully he can stay healthy and give us a good young corner run producing threat.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 11:31 PM)
Quentin's AAA numbers suggest that he's going to get on base at around a .365 clip and slug around .465. From watching him in the field he looks to be a + baserunner (in smarts and speed combined) and also to have a great arm and passable range in either corner.

He's also cheap and young -- what's not to like? Only the injury history: hopefully he can stay healthy and give us a good young corner run producing threat.

From seeing him play a bit, he looks like he has better power than that. Not disagreeing with the projection or numbers, just saying he does look better than that.

I've only seen him a tiny bit too, but I'm ready to eat a little crow from a post I made on the Ramirez-starting-CF-thread, where I touted Anderson and said we didn't need both Swisher and Quentin.

Now, I'm very quickly starting to come around to the idea of an outfield of Quentin, Swisher and Dye for most of the time. It's the ability to get on base and mash the ball. Wow, what a concept!! The Sox (esp. Ozzie) may finally be starting to get it. If Quentin can keep his production around .275/.350/.460 or above, he'd make all the difference to our lineup, esp. with Crede hitting again. (Now just put Ramirez in the 9 hole, and we've got ourselves a team.)

Behind those three, I would still keep Anderson, who has value as a LIDP. He should be in the game every time Jenks is.

Ramirez should get his shot at 2B, but also can play SS and OF so that Pablo Ozuna is really unnecessary. I also hope Jerry Owens is left in AAA to rehab the entire year. If I could trust Ozzie using him only occasionally as LH bat and pinch runner, I'd keep him over Ozuna, but I don't trust Ozzie yet.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 08:58 AM)
Ramirez should get his shot at 2B, but also can play SS and OF so that Pablo Ozuna is really unnecessary. I also hope Jerry Owens is left in AAA to rehab the entire year. If I could trust Ozzie using him only occasionally as LH bat and pinch runner, I'd keep him over Ozuna, but I don't trust Ozzie yet.

I don't think we should be writing off Richar just yet.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
I don't think we should be writing off Richar just yet.

I think I would be inclined to stick with Uribe. His defense at second has been really pretty impressive and his bat doesn't hurt so much when we can hit. 20 homers out of the 9 hole isn't such a bad thing.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
I think I would be inclined to stick with Uribe. His defense at second has been really pretty impressive and his bat doesn't hurt so much when we can hit. 20 homers out of the 9 hole isn't such a bad thing.

Uribe isn't giving me any reasons to want to bench him right now, but Richar could provide the same offensive production as Uribe, probably better. Long-term, we should still be looking at Richar. It makes zero sense not to.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 09:51 AM)
Uribe isn't giving me any reasons to want to bench him right now, but Richar could provide the same offensive production as Uribe, probably better. Long-term, we should still be looking at Richar. It makes zero sense not to.

Ideally I'd like to see Richar do an extended rehab in Charlotte (make sure he gets his PA) and then comes up after the deadline (where hopefully Uribe and/or Crede have been traded for pitching help and/or prospects) and either gets in the lineup 2-3 times a week as a utility player or is the outright everyday 2B.

Next year he goes into camp the starting 2B unless he completely flops or a better option suddenly comes around.

I still think Richar can be a productive player for the Sox and we should have him in the plans for sure.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 08:37 AM)

You touch on something I was thinking during yesterday's game. There have been a few boneheaded mistakes such as the dropped fly ball by Quentin and Crede's two errant throws, but overall, the defense seems to be meshing well right now. Swisher has ben more than serviceable in CF and as long as Quentin keeps hitting, he is decent in LF. Uribe and Cabrera seem to be getting better together with each game played. If the rest of the team continues to hit the ball well..."you can live with Uribe in the nine hole." I know, famous last words. Let's hope they keep it up.

I love how patient this guy is already as a young hitter. Just the extra pitches seen by Swish, OCab, and CQ, are going to cost starting pitchers an inning an outing, meaning we get to feast off of middle relievers instead of set up men and closers. You can just see the potential bursting at the seams with this kid. Hopefully the injuries were of the Jermaine Dye/cluke category, because this kid can hit if he is healthy.