Sisco undergoes Tommy John Surgery

rokimar

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
I'd suggest he was plenty effective - he just had no good role on this team.

I loved him as a bench player. Seemed like he always got a hit although, you gotta remember that time he kicked the ball against the cubs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 09:04 PM)
In the right role, he'd be one of the best bench players in the league who could also be a defensive sub.

Yeah. But I think he can also be starting quality on the right club, which I think was one of the reasons they shipped him to KC. He's doing pretty well there.

If Gload gets full time play at 1B, to me, he can be a Wally Joyner type guy. Problem is, in the modern game, there really aren't too many Joyner type guys at 1B - they want more power from that position.

According to Rotoworld:

Triple-A Charlotte's Andrew Sisco underwent Tommy John surgery and will miss the rest of the season.

Perhaps this explains why his command has gone from subpar to abysmal. Sisco hasn't shown nearly as much promise the last two years as he did when he entered the league with the Royals in 2005. He might be recovered in time to compete for a bullpen spot next spring.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 08:51 PM)
Is there any way for the team to hold on to him next year if he's on the DL, or at this point should we just cut him??

2008: Near Minimum

2009-11: Arb. Eligible

2012: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...=Mlb&id=888

He is arbitration eligible next year so how does that work if he spends year on the DL?

Andy Sisco isn't going to play in the majors this year, therefore he will not earn a year of service time so at the start of the 2009 campaign he'll still be a year short of arbitration. The issue Balta is bringing up is his lack of minor league options for the 2009 season.

At the start of the 2009 season if Andy is still recovering and unable to pitch (very likely) the Sox could probably just outright him to A/AA/AAA (he should pass right through waivers) then place him on the minor league disabled list. If that's not allowed then he can start the year with the big club on the 60 day DL and when he's ready to pitch again he can be outrighted to A/AA/AAA (he'd most likely pass through waivers in this scenario as well) and take it from there.

The only real problem with having a major league player who's out of options is if you want to send him down he has to be outrighted off the 40 man roster which requires passing through waivers, most decent players will not make it through all 29 teams, a guy who's unable to pitch however should pass right through.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 12:29 AM)
I feel sorry for him.

That said do any of you dislike ultra tall pitchers as much as I do?

Tom Seaver was what, 5-11?

With the exception of Randy Johnson, do you like tall pitchers?

I like tall pitchers of beer.

Well that explains a lot of his problems... That's too bad. I really wanted to see this kid rebuilt and succeed. Its sad but being a Rule V draft pick might have actually ruined his career. I think if he stays in the minors, gets his innings, masters his release point, gets his repititions etc, he really develops into a tough starter. The kid just never got any consistancy, because he was bouncing around the bullpens instead.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 08:10 AM)
Well that explains a lot of his problems... That's too bad. I really wanted to see this kid rebuilt and succeed. Its sad but being a Rule V draft pick might have actually ruined his career. I think if he stays in the minors, gets his innings, masters his release point, gets his repititions etc, he really develops into a tough starter. The kid just never got any consistancy, because he was bouncing around the bullpens instead.

It's ironic, because the whole point of the Rule V draft is to spread the opportunities around and let someone's career move where it would've been blocked.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 10:21 AM)
I reported this yesterday... I just had to say that :lol: My guess is we probably won't be seeing Sisco again. Too bad for the kid

I bet we will. They Sox have nothing to lose keeping him around. He may not make the team again, but he'll be back rehabbing.

Still, that sucks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 12:29 AM)
I feel sorry for him.

That said do any of you dislike ultra tall pitchers as much as I do?

Tom Seaver was what, 5-11?

With the exception of Randy Johnson, do you like tall pitchers?

I'd say Chris Young is making a nice career for himself at 6'10".