White Sox Loser

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)
If we saw MacDougal come in during a 1-run ballgame Soxtalk would explode, even knowing we're overusing Linebrink/Dotel/Jenks.

Yeah, I wouldn't have liked Mac in that situation and I don't like second guessing the bullpen decisions so much. I do however think Thorton can handle more than just leftys....I wouldn't use him in such a limited capacity.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 10:52 AM)
Yeah, I wouldn't have liked Mac in that situation and I don't like second guessing the bullpen decisions so much. I do however think Thorton can handle more than just leftys....I wouldn't use him in such a limited capacity.

I had gotten up to use the bathroom and I came back to my seat to see Ozzie coming out to get Thornton and Linebrink coming in from the pen. I was a little bewildered by that, I thought he could've handled that inning fine.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 06:21 AM)
I think this was more of a case of beating yourself (3 unearned runs) than just being out-played.

Yeah, I agree with that. The errors killed us. And as good as Jenks and Linebrink are, they're not going to be perfect every game.

That sucks that we pissed away a golden opportunity to go 10-5, but oh well.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)
If we saw MacDougal come in during a 1-run ballgame Soxtalk would explode, even knowing we're overusing Linebrink/Dotel/Jenks.

Maybe but what happens in a close game tonight? One that is not a three run cushion.

Jenks and Linebrink should not have been used Tuesday moreso than last night. I think with a 3 or 4 run lead at home you can use the second tier guys more. Ozzie is going to these guys way to often already. This is really good hindsite I know.

If Masset and McDougal are only going to be used in losing game they are worthless. Also Thorton needs more work. He should be above Dotel right now in my mind.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 06:49 AM)

If we saw Marte in a close game in the ALCS and lived, we'll live through that.

Even with the results.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
Maybe but what happens in a close game tonight? One that is not a three run cushion.

Jenks and Linebrink should not have been used Tuesday moreso than last night. I think with a 3 or 4 run lead at home you can use the second tier guys more. Ozzie is going to these guys way to often already. This is really good hindsite I know.

If Masset and McDougal are only going to be used in losing game they are worthless. Also Thorton needs more work. He should be above Dotel right now in my mind.

I agree...

Masset isn't worthless though.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
I agree...

Masset isn't worthless though.

That wasn't my opinion although McDougal is getting there and I was a big backer until the Tiger game last Friday when he was all over the place wiht a huge strike zone. If Guillen is only going to use them in these situations, they are worthless although I think they both have some value and should have pitched last night or Tuesday.

I was implying that I think MacDougal is worthless. However, given that he's been a much better pitcher at other times in his career, it's totally in his hands whether he can turn it around, and this is his shot. If he can't do that, he brings nothing and we have better options (Wasserman).

I blame Guillen for last night. Everyone knows relievers are less affective when they pitch too many nights in a row. Last night was a perfect example. Jenk's curveball look like meat and it's probably because it was his third straight night of pitching. Guillen needs to realize that Jenks doesn't have to close every game in every save situation. This isn't a fantasy league team.

Linebrink pitched good but it was his third night in a row too and we don't have any days off anytime soon.

Thornton has look great the past few times he's been out and he hasn't pitched much all year. But of course he only faces one batter, a lefty. Boone should have come in to pitch the 7th, Dotel the 8th and Thornton the 9th.

A good manager learns to utilize all of his players. Not the same players over and over in the same situation.

Hahaha, blaming, debating, ridiculous. First game all season we lost while taking the lead into the 8th. Bullpen has been stellar, blaming Ozzie, blaming Jenks, blaming LInebrink, blame, blame, blame. We lost, it happens, our pen has been excellent, and no pen can ever be perfect.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 01:22 PM)
Hahaha, blaming, debating, ridiculous. First game all season we lost while taking the lead into the 8th. Bullpen has been stellar, blaming Ozzie, blaming Jenks, blaming LInebrink, blame, blame, blame. We lost, it happens, our pen has been excellent, and no pen can ever be perfect.

I blame Al Gore and Global Warming! Honestly...you're right and I had a good night's rest after initially throwing a little pissy-fit. Still in 1st...and guess what...the sun did come up this morning and it's a new day. Let's get 'em tonight.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
I blame Al Gore and Global Warming! Honestly...you're right and I had a good night's rest after initially throwing a little pissy-fit. Still in 1st...and guess what...the sun did come up this morning and it's a new day. Let's get 'em tonight.

Just think if we had the pen from last season. We would barely be sniffing .500 at best. Floyd really made the loss not hurt as much for me, and even watching the 9th inning again and reading Southsidesox.com (shout out) i feel better.

A few more observations from last night:

Carlos hit 2 dingers. One on a breaking ball to left and one on a fastball to right. Its said when he gets going his power is going to be to right center, so its a good sign he hit one hard there.

The baltimore announcers are pretty good, but the fans are not, they consistently threw HR balls back onto the field. Give it to a kid guys.

Gavin Floyd it starting to like to attack hitters. He is starting to realize his fastball can give him a strike right away on batters, this is a good thing.

I chalked this one up to the defense the whole time. Floyd wouldn't have given up 1 run if it wasn't for the errors. And Linebrink had to get 4 outs. Dotel looked good in minimal action given his K that caught Roberts looking. Jenks was fine. Why? Because he can't get every save and have a 0.00 ERA for the whole season. Jenks was due to give up some hits. The bullpen was fine IMO because Logan was getting squeezed at the end of the game too. Which happens so that is no excuse but there's nothing wrong with Logan in my mind. Our pen is set.

The defense has been so gold, no check that platinum, all season long that they were due for a bad outing. They got it out of the way last night so now the White Sox can keep peddling on.

Besides, I give the Orioles a lot of credit. They smelled the blood in the water, really battled, and earned that win last night even if Chicago's defense gave it up.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 09:49 PM)

Carlos hit 2 dingers. One on a breaking ball to left and one on a fastball to right. Its said when he gets going his power is going to be to right center, so its a good sign he hit one hard there.

The baltimore announcers are pretty good, but the fans are not, they consistently threw HR balls back onto the field. Give it to a kid guys.

Gavin Floyd it starting to like to attack hitters. He is starting to realize his fastball can give him a strike right away on batters, this is a good thing.

One other observation....Juan Uribe might be the greatest defensive SS in history when it comes to plays he has to charge (like the World Series ender). Cabrera is a very respected defensive player, and he looks like a Little Leaguer on those plays compared to Uribe.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)

I don't feel terrible about the loss...s*** happens and there were a bunch of positves. I just wasn't happy with Dye in RF in the 9th inning. If the Sox are winning, put your best defense out there. That is all.