No Bottled Water allowed in the UCF Dugouts?

Linnwood

Don't drink the water!

by Ed Price

Wednesday April 23, 2008, 1:23 PM

Two signs on the doors leading from the visitors' clubhouse at U.S. Cellular Field to the first-base dugout read, "NO BOTTLED WATER ON THE BENCH."

What's this? Athletes can't drink water? Even in the humid Chicago summers?

Here's the explanation I got:

Gatorade is Major League Baseball's "official sports drink." So instructions were sent that no player could be seen drinking anything but Gatorade in the dugout. Not even Aquafina, which is the "official water" of MLB. Not even bottles of water with the labels removed.

White Sox clubhouse personnel said if players take bottled water onto the bench, all the bottled water will be removed from the clubhouse as punishment.

So remember, the biggest threat to baseball isn't steroids or HGH or amphetamines or runaway ticket prices or four-hour games.

It's water.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2008/0..._the_water.html

How about a big jug labeled gatorade that contains water. Then pour the water into paper cups that say gatorade on them. NEW from gatorade! Gatorade ZERO! Nothing but water. I will no longer buy gatorade. Don't be duped into bottled water either. It's no better than tap water but it takes a whole bunch of Saudi oil to make the bottles, put them in trucks, and ship them across the country. Idiocracy indeed. Buy a filter and put water into reusable washable bottles.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
Silly rule.....do they have rules for all this stuff?? This pic is from visitors clubhouse. Can your gum only be bazooka? Seeds only be David? What if a guy wants a redbull?

IMG_3156.jpg

Actually Crede was chugging a Red Bull after his homer last night.

QUOTE (Linnwood @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 07:59 AM)

After the last two homers Crede has hit, the broadcasts have shown him drinking a Red Bull in the dugout. Hawk even commented on how his son goes through a case of Red Bull a week. Could it be Joe is a rule breaker! :unsure:

1. If you've seen dugouts where they use bottled water, you'd know the real reason they have this rule. Its a hazard. This article is someone taking a fact, adding some suspicion, and creating a theory.

2. As I understand it, one of the giant jugs in the dugout IS water. They use cups, which the players won't then break an ankle on while walking around the dugout.

3. City water from the fountain is probably better for them anyway, and doesn't create nearly as much waste.

How about a big jug labeled gatorade that contains water.

That's what they do already. Coop was on Mike North this morning, and North brought it up. Coop said I don't know anything about a ban, but I know that there are two Gatorade coolers in the dugout and one of them isn't filled with Gatorade.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
NO HGH test but we will be on the lookout for water.............MLB has lost it!

Did you read the posts in the thread? There IS water in the dugout, both in the cooler and in the fountain. They just don't want bottles of it, for reasons of marketing and/or safety.

If they are truly concerned with safety, the MLB should go out and plant a bunch of trees. One of those shattered bats flying all over the field and into the stands are going seriously hurt somebody sometime.

I do not believe the safety excuse. I believe that the dugout area is safer without bottles lying around on the ground, but doubt it would be an issue if Gatorade was not a huge sponsor.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
Actually Crede was chugging a Red Bull after his homer last night.

After they added amphetamines (sp?) to the testing list, I bet clubhouse attendants stock up on Red Bull.

(Note: I AM NOT saying Crede uses, used, knows what, or have ever heard of speed. Just that from what Gammons said it was pretty prevelant still when they started testing for it, so I imagine some users switched to other things)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 05:16 AM)
I take it you missed the Trib and Sun Times articles last week about all of the different crap in Chicago's drinking water...

Uggh, sorry to hear that. I haven't lived in an area that used Chicago's city water since the mid-'90s. Back when I lived in the area, it at least *tasted* pretty good.

Then I take it that it's even more dangerous to eat Lake Michigan perch now. I used to go fishing in NW Indiana with my grandfather all of the time. Too bad the next generation won't be able to do the same.

Edited by WCSox