Bugs and Cranks: Bench Quentin for Owens

Heads22

Here's his comments under the article defending his ridiculous position:

I understand that taking Quentin out of the lineup would be a bold move right now, but they need to get some speed into the lineup somehow. The rest of the lineup will benefit from opposing pitchers finally having to worry about holding a runner or base.

Owens finished strong last year and had a fine spring despite playing most of it with a pulled groin. He had won the job outright prior to his injury and doesn’t deserve to still be in Charlotte when several bench players are currently hitting under .200. Ideally, they call him up and slowly work him into the everyday lineup without causing a major uproar.

Also, OPS is not the single determining factor in judging the value of a ballplayer. Speed CAN make up for a lot of that. Just look at yesterday’s game and how much of an impact Gomez’s speed had on the outcome of the game.

Right now the Sox are playing with a softball lineup. It’s time they started playing some baseball with the key word being “base.”

I think you guys are getting a little too excited about Quentin’s fast start. One great month and we’re comparing him to Babe Ruth??? Come on.

Since several of you seem to be into numbers, here are a few for you:

.172 - Quentin’s lifetime average against lefties

.176 - Quentin’s average against lefties this year

That’s a good indication he still has some holes in his swing that are being exploited by lefties.

.647 - Quentin’s OPS from last year in 81 games.

.298 - Quentin’s career OBP

In other words, I would be shocked if Quentin’s production doesn’t come down to Earth in the upcoming months especially after AL pitchers make some adjustments.

After a slow start last year, Owens posted a .339 OBP in the second half and a .396 mark in September.

This team right now is similar to the teams of 2000-04 who hit plenty of home runs against bad pitching, but couldn’t manufacture anything against good pitching. Podsednik changed all of that in 2005. Owens may be a one trick pony, but at least he would change the Sox from being a one trick team."

I don't think this guy understands that baseball isn't a track meet.

Edited by StrangeSox

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that taking Quentin out of the lineup would be a bold move right now, but they need to get some speed into the lineup somehow. The rest of the lineup will benefit from opposing pitchers finally having to worry about holding a runner or base.

By "bold" I assume he means "catastrophically stupid." And by "pitchers having to worry about holding a runner or base" I guess that means "pitchers having to worry about giving up another home run."

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 1, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
Actually few would support that. He's a slap hitting 4th OF'er, injecting a nook logan or a Joey Gathright into this lineup isnt going to do anything positive to the lineup.

it really sucks to defend owens in a thread where the lead article is so blatantly unhinged

that said, when i say 'owens at his peak' i'm looking at the last month of last year. we could use that. plain and simple.

we dont know if he can keep that going for a full year, but thats why they play the games. if his peak is what we saw, i want that. i dont think there's anything wrong with wanting Quentin and Owens to both play. what good is Quentin's power when it's always solo jack city?

as far as Owens' slap hitting, if he can steal 2nd at a high rate, i am fine with the slap shots.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 1, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
If he really wanted to save face, he'd take the article down too.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/DavidRenneke/RqQey5E4....JPG?imgmax=640

I love it when you can put a face with such moronic writings. The one in the middle is John.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 1, 2008 -> 01:23 PM)
it really sucks to defend owens in a thread where the lead article is so blatantly unhinged

that said, when i say 'owens at his peak' i'm looking at the last month of last year. we could use that. plain and simple.

we dont know if he can keep that going for a full year, but thats why they play the games. if his peak is what we saw, i want that. i dont think there's anything wrong with wanting Quentin and Owens to both play. what good is Quentin's power when it's always solo jack city?

as far as Owens' slap hitting, if he can steal 2nd at a high rate, i am fine with the slap shots.

Owens cant hit lefties plain and simple, his numbers right now support that. He's a platoon player. Its nice to have some speed on the basepaths, but BA and Q both have speed to go from first to third, and both play plus defense in the OF. They both have higher ceilings and add more to the club. Owens would be a nice 4th OF'er, but thats probably it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 1, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
Owens' career .315 slugging percentage says he's woeful.

Its not so much his numbers last year, I agree they showed improvement month over month and that he had some promise. But now with BA hitting and Q hitting, there is no room for him, and im not sure he is an improvement. Also in charlotte he is looking extremely weak against LHP so far, even though its a small sample size, its fairly exaggerated.

Vs RHP .318 .434 .889

vs LHP .278 .316 .649

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 1, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)
Its not so much his numbers last year, I agree they showed improvement month over month and that he had some promise. But now with BA hitting and Q hitting, there is no room for him, and im not sure he is an improvement. Also in charlotte he is looking extremely weak against LHP so far, even though its a small sample size, its fairly exaggerated.

Vs RHP .318 .434 .889

vs LHP .278 .316 .649

It appears as though he doesn't see the ball out of lefties hands at all

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 1, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
Owens' career .315 slugging percentage says he's woeful.

Slugging% is secondary when talking about leadoff hitters. What matters is OBP and then stolen bases which lead to runs. Owens isn't a good leadoff hitter because he doesn't get on base enough and because all his infield singles make his batting average pretty questionable, not because he doesn't hit the ball hard. Obviously SLG is nice to have if your leadoff hitter has it but let's be real here - if he slugged near .400 we're putting him in the company of guys like Sizemore which is kind of absurd to expect of him.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 1, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
Slugging% is secondary when talking about leadoff hitters. What matters is OBP and then stolen bases which lead to runs. Owens isn't a good leadoff hitter because he doesn't get on base enough and because all his infield singles make his batting average pretty questionable, not because he doesn't hit the ball hard. Obviously SLG is nice to have if your leadoff hitter has it but let's be real here - if he slugged near .400 we're putting him in the company of guys like Sizemore which is kind of absurd to expect of him.

Grady Sizemore's career slugging percentage is .486. Curtis Granderson's is .501.

No, asking for a .400 SLG% is like asking for Owens to be more like Brian Roberts, who's at .411 career wise. .315 is absolutely unacceptable.