Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 09:28 PM)
1/2 game out of the 6th seed and the Magic.

For those who wanted VDN run out of town after, I don't know, 20 games or so. What's your opinion of him now? What coach, and please don't say Mike D'Antoni, could've done more with this team than VDN has? And don't give me the ",Well, I just don't think VDN can lead us to a championship" or "I think we just need a more experienced head coach," fluff. When you consider what a disaster last season was, how imbalanced the roster was/is, the injuries, ect - what's your opinion of the job he's done for THIS season?

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 12:28 AM)
For those who wanted VDN run out of town after, I don't know, 20 games or so. What's your opinion of him now? What coach, and please don't say Mike D'Antoni, could've done more with this team than VDN has? And don't give me the ",Well, I just don't think VDN can lead us to a championship" or "I think we just need a more experienced head coach," fluff. When you consider what a disaster last season was, how imbalanced the roster was/is, the injuries, ect - what's your opinion of the job he's done for THIS season?

I'll say this, if Thibo was hired and did the same job VDN has done this season, he would get praised endlessly. The stuff he would've done wrong, people would've forgave him and said he just needs experience. With VDN, since he never coached before, there are people who still will not want him on the team until he wins a championship.

Look at all the good he has done. Look at what he has done as a whole. He has faults, but he's done an excellent job all year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 01:28 AM)

I never was on the "FIRE VDN" bandwagon nor was I one of the ones calling for Pax's head when he was signed, but I still think there were better options out there at the time. Then again, I didn't really expect to contend either, although I don't really think much of a 7-8 seed as an accomplishment. This will probably all be irrelevant next year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)

I still feel like every game I've watched, we've been outcoached, outschemed, outplanned, outthought. Poorly constructed plays, people constantly out of position on defense, ridiculous and totally inexplicable rotations, every time there's a timeout and a play drawn up, the other team has the better setup. I feel like any warm body could have done as well in-game as VDN, and to my eyes, the turnaround in the 2nd half was forced upon him by Pax and fate, after Gooden got hurt (thus forcing him to actually play Thomas/Noah more) and Pax made some very intelligent trades to take away his ridiculous small lineups.

The one thing I can't speak to is his performance off the court. The Locker room hasn't imploded like it did last year, which is a point for him. And I can't speak to how much credit he gets for the development of Rose, Thomas, Noah. Some of that, frankly, I thought would have happened last year or 2 years ago if the big guys had just gotten actual minutes rather than being benched for the SMALL LINEUP DOMINATION!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
Balta, don't you have to give credit to VDN for actually giving Tyrus/Noah/etc the opportunity to play and develop though. In fact, he actually encouraged Tyrus and Noah both to work on there offensive games.

But he didn't give them that opportunity until Pax traded away all of the pieces of his precious small lineup, such that he basically had no choice any more. It took Gooden getting hurt and traded, Nocioni getting traded, and Deng getting hurt to finally make it so that his rotation had to include Thomas and Noah. Otherwise, I think we'd still be seeing the Gooden at C, Nocioni/Deng at PF, Hinrich, Gordon, and Rose lineups for 25 minutes a game.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
Didn't Noah and Tyrus Thomas actually start to play good right around the time that there were rumors of the Bulls acquiring Amare and prior to the Miller trade? Luckily after the Miller trade they just kept playing well.

Basically Tyrus's minutes started going up in January when Gooden got hurt and leveled off at about 32 in Feb. after the trades and the Deng injury. Noah's minutes shot up in Feb after languishing at a ridiculously low 20 or so through the end of January (Granted he was out of Shape in Nov, which is why we need to hide his weed around the weight room this summer).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
But he didn't give them that opportunity until Pax traded away all of the pieces of his precious small lineup, such that he basically had no choice any more. It took Gooden getting hurt and traded, Nocioni getting traded, and Deng getting hurt to finally make it so that his rotation had to include Thomas and Noah. Otherwise, I think we'd still be seeing the Gooden at C, Nocioni/Deng at PF, Hinrich, Gordon, and Rose lineups for 25 minutes a game.

That's pretty untrue. In fact, he started Tyrus with Gooden at C and played him and Noah significant minutes early on. Then he benched them after Noah admitted he was out of shape and Tyrus wasn't playing smart. He then gave them a chance to redeem themselves, even after Gooden came back for a little bit. The one thing he did do was play Nocioni alot, but that has way more to do with Deng sucking balls, more than Nocioni and us not having any other SF's.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 08:15 AM)
With 3 games still left, the Bulls could possibly end up in the 6th seed if Philly plays like crap and the Bulls play well. I'd much rather face Orlando than Boston and Cleveland.

If KG was healthy I'd agree. I think KG will be seriously limited in the first series, at the very least.

Although the Bulls have played an easy ass schedule lately, they can beat just about anybody at home. I think this team can at least make it go to game 6 against any team and make it interesting.

I have no doubt that they'll beat either Boston or Cleveland at home in a game 4, that I absolutely believe. Game 6? Eeeh... I don't know about that, but it wouldnt be out of the realm of possibility, especially against Boston. Boston isn't particularly fond of playing on the road in the playoffs and if Garnett isn't 100%, you're all but guaranteed a game 5.

QUOTE (FedEx227 @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 06:04 PM)
I have no doubt that they'll beat either Boston or Cleveland at home in a game 4, that I absolutely believe. Game 6? Eeeh... I don't know about that, but it wouldnt be out of the realm of possibility, especially against Boston. Boston isn't particularly fond of playing on the road in the playoffs and if Garnett isn't 100%, you're all but guaranteed a game 5.

Right now the Bulls are playing better than their record and they can actually give teams matchup problems with their athleticism, which they're finally using on occasion. Last time the Bulls played the cavs, for example, Truehoop anointed TT as one of the few guys who actually annoyed Lebron on defense this year.