Official Draft Thread

Cerbaho-WG

What a terrible draft after round 1. KW kid give me a f***ing break he is not even a 25th round worthy selection and Sox wonder why there farm system is so f***ing poor. Guiilen kid last year who is f***in terrible now Williams lets just let the Sox support both the families for life.

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
My grades so far based on first impressions for the first day of the draft:

MI Gordon Beckham, Georgia[/u]

GRADE: A-

3B Brent Morel, Cal Poly[/u]

GRADE: C+

RHRP Andrew O'Neil, Penn St.[/u]

GRADE: B-

RHP Dan Hudson, Old Dominion[/u]

GRADE: B

OF Kenny Williams Jr., Wichita St.[/u]

GRADE: F

FIRST DAY GRADE: D+

How does this all add up and translate into a D+?

I totally agree with the F for the KW Jr. pick, but c'mon....D+ overall??

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 07:39 PM)
Outfielder Kenny Williams Jr., the son of the former big leaguer and current White Sox general manager, has barely played since being diagnosed with mononucleosis in early May. He also didn't see much action in his first three seasons in college, sitting on the bench for two years at Arizona and redshirting in 2007 after being academically ineligible following his transfer to Wichita State. An athletic 6-foot-2, 198-pounder who has been drafted twice—including by the Rockies in the 32nd round last year—Williams did shake off the rust in 2008. He's a switch-hitter with a quick bat, though he has yet to develop much power or plate discipline. His best tool is his speed, which he uses well on the bases and in the outfield.

This is nuts how the f*** can they justify this to the fans and b**** about previous scouting directors. How could he even be considered he is god awful. This is really bulls*** to ALL Sox fans!

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 01:02 AM)
This is nuts how the f*** can they justify this to the fans and b**** about previous scouting directors. How could he even be considered he is god awful. This is really bulls*** to ALL Sox fans!

When did Todd Stroger become our scouting director?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
What a terrible draft after round 1. KW kid give me a f***ing break he is not even a 25th round worthy selection and Sox wonder why there farm system is so f***ing poor. Guiilen kid last year who is f***in terrible now Williams lets just let the Sox support both the families for life.

So, how many times have you seen him play? What can you tell me about him?

Morel is definitely a head-scratcher as said before, and KW2 seems like a bad pick to me. The rest of the draft seemed quite good, from what I am reading.

I just think that, even if KW2 is one of the best available at that point (and all indicators are he wasn't), the image you portray and the negative effect on others in the system is too much. I think that's a bad idea.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
If the guys they have drafted are all low money signable guys, why not take Danks and see if anything can be done. You know some team will.

My thoughts exactly.

What are they worried about doing? Wasting a draft pick? Like that would be a first...

Haha good stuff, will be interesting to see if there is any prayer of signing him.

It will be interesting.

Boras client and fathom mentioned talking to his BA connection yesterday who indicated Boras told teams he'll be asking for 1st round money for Danks to sign.

So this is the first signability reach of this draft for the White Sox. I'm expecting 3-4 more today.

QUOTE (Cowch @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)
Dang, I wanted Galloway too. Any info on this catcher?

Recent article about Dubler:

Dubler Named Semifinalist for Johnny Bench Award

Dubler one of 12 semifinalists for the Johnny Bench Award.

Kevin Dubler

May 14, 2008

WICHITA, Kan. - Junior Kevin Dubler was just one of 12 catchers chosen Wednesday by the Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission as part of its semifinalist list for the 2008 Coleman Company-Johnny Bench Award delivered by AT&T and Papa John's Pizza, an accolade given annually to the top NCAA Division I catcher in collegiate baseball. The announcement of the semifinalists marks the second step in announcing the eighth annual Johnny Bench Award winner, which will be presented at the 11th Annual Greater Wichita Sports Banquet June 27.

Statistical information will be compiled on each of the semifinalists and sent to the national voting committee for a vote to determine the three finalists. The finalists will be announced June 3.

"It is a tremendous honor for Kevin, and he is very deserving of it," said Illinois State head coach Jim Brownlee. "He's one of best offensive catchers in the country, and he's certainly put up the numbers. To be selected as one of the top-12 catchers in the country is a tremendous honor. That is something that we haven't had at Illinois State. I think that Kevin is deserving of it, not only as an athlete but as a person. He has a great attitude and is a great leader.

"Kevin is leader by example. He is a hard-worker, and I think that when he says something his teammates listen. He's not a type of guy that yells or gets after his teammates, rather he quietly goes about his business. Because he is a catcher, we talk a lot about pitches called and things of that nature. He's been fun to coach the past three seasons, and we're probably down to our last three games together. So, I'm really going to enjoy it."

Dubler has batted .362 with 64 hits, including 23 doubles, three triples, seven home runs and 51 RBI in 49 starts this season. The Downers Grove, Ill., native has also walked 44 times this season, which leads the team. Dubler, who broke the ISU single-season doubles record with his 23rd double of the year Tuesday at Western Michigan, was a 2008 Preseason All-Missouri Valley Conference selection. Dubler also ranks in the near the top of the nation in doubles (No. 13), doubles per game (No. 16), walks (No. 21) and walks per game (No. 20).

Dubler was joined on the semifinalist list by Mitch Abeita of Nebraska, Stanford's Jason Castro, Dock Doyle of Coastal Carolina, North Carolina's Tim Federowicz, Jake Jefferies of California-Davis, Corey Kemp of East Carolina, Arizona State's Petey Paramore, Josh Phegley of Indiana, Buster Posey of Florida State, Shea Robin of Vanderbilt and Rice's Adam Zornes.

A final vote among the national selection committee will occur during the College World Series. All three finalists and their coaches will be invited to Wichita for the 11th Annual Greater Wichita Sports Banquet on June 27, 2008. Johnny Bench will present the award to the recipient.

I actually covered Dubler when he was a freshman at ISU. Didn't put up huge number but was a solid college catcher and the program thought very highly of him.

Edited by soxfan3530