Barry Zito

rokimar

Detriot is pounding Zito right now. Is there anyway he lets the Giants restructure his contract? Otherwize Giants are our like 18 million a year till 2013. Its one thing if a player is not any good, but he cant get anyone out and for whats he is making you would think he would have it in him to restructure.

Maybe deferred money, otherwise it could just be a Mike Hampton situation where they have to trade him and pay at least half probably 2/3'rds of his remaining contract.

Who would want him the way he is pitching ATM though?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)
Not a chance in hell. Not only would Zito not agree to give up guaranteed money but the MLBPA would NEVER allow it.

Exactly.

I don't care how much SF would hate me, I'm not giving back any money if I'm him.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)
Maybe deferred money, otherwise it could just be a Mike Hampton situation where they have to trade him and pay at least half probably 2/3'rds of his remaining contract.

Who would want him the way he is pitching ATM though?

I have seen a few different trade rumor sites indicating that SF is trying to work out a deferred contract deal with Zito so they can trade him ASAP

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
Detroit is hella scary at this point. Thank goodness for their inability to put s*** together in the early part of the season. I wonder if Thames launched one again.

How so? We swept the Giants. They didnt have it quite as easy.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 06:21 PM)
I'll ask it again; would it be smart for the Giants to give up Lincecum to rid themselves ofZito's entire contract? If you were the GM would you take Zito and his whole contract if you knew you were getting Lincecum?

Hmm... maybe. As long as they didn't ask for too much in return.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 05:21 PM)
I'll ask it again; would it be smart for the Giants to give up Lincecum to rid themselves ofZito's entire contract? If you were the GM would you take Zito and his whole contract if you knew you were getting Lincecum?

If I'm Sabean, I don't deal Lincecum. It's not like the Giants will struggle financially if they continue to pay Zito to suck.

And I don't think that a GM would want to take ALL of Zito's contract, even if they got Linceum with it. Half of Zito's contract and Lincecum might be doable, though.

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
What happened to this guy, there had to be an injury or he was juicin cause theres no other explanation for him losin that velocity

Well, the guy pitched more innings than anyone for a while there and at a young age. Might have just emptied the tank, we humans weren't made to throw that ball, let alone that much.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 08:39 AM)
Well, the guy pitched more innings than anyone for a while there and at a young age. Might have just emptied the tank, we humans weren't made to throw that ball, let alone that much.

Or, frankly, there could have been other things going on that enhanced his performance for some time.

That he pitched too much thing is BS, back in the good old days there were no relievers, a starting pitcher could easily throw three hundred innings a year. Pitchers today are babied too much, and im not buying that that is why he now is the highest paid batting practice pitcher.

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
That he pitched too much thing is BS, back in the good old days there were no relievers, a starting pitcher could easily throw three hundred innings a year. Pitchers today are babied too much, and im not buying that that is why he now is the highest paid batting practice pitcher.

This is wrong. It's not that pitchers are babied, it's that most of these guys shouldn't be in the majors. Back in the good old days as you put it, the pitchers whose arms couldn't handle the workload were sed up in the minors and were out of baseball. With the increased number of teams there is a need for more pitchers so you have to take it easier on arms that really shouldn't be here.

they should throw more and should throw more innings and many could handle it but many could not so with the money invested in these pitchers you have no choice but to be careful with pitchers who back in the good old days would have been out of the game before they saw the majors.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
This is wrong. It's not that pitchers are babied, it's that most of these guys shouldn't be in the majors. Back in the good old days as you put it, the pitchers whose arms couldn't handle the workload were sed up in the minors and were out of baseball. With the increased number of teams there is a need for more pitchers so you have to take it easier on arms that really shouldn't be here.

they should throw more and should throw more innings and many could handle it but many could not so with the money invested in these pitchers you have no choice but to be careful with pitchers who back in the good old days would have been out of the game before they saw the majors.

There also wasn't anywhere near the financial risk of leaving a pitcher out there to burn up his arm. You didn't still owe him $80M if you overwork his arm in the first year of a 5 year deal.