Stone in, DJ out?

fathom

i like stone... a lot, but hawk and dj are great together and i want them to stay together...

Farmer and Stone have been great together on the radio... Hawk and DJ, in their own, comical right, have been great together as well. It'd be a bad call by the Sox.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 11:51 PM)
Seems like a nice enough guy, but never really developed any chemistry with Hawk.

I'd almost rather Stoney stayed paired with Farmer. They're quite good together, despite Farmer still being somewhat away from his strength at play-by-play.

Agree with all of this.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 08:27 AM)
I'd rather see Hawk retire, and have Stone and DJ in the TV booth.

Me too. Stone and Hawk are both color guys at this point. DJ does a significant amount of the play by play right now. Although I'm sure that Stone could do that, he's outstanding as the color guy and would be misused as play by play. Can you imagine Stone doing an inning or two of talking to himself while Hawk disappears? DJ is a fine play by play man on the fox broadcasts when he is free from his job as Hawk's sidekick. I love Hawk, but losing DJ would be a mistake. Stone would make Hawk better, but he would make DJ better as well. Find a way to keep all three until Hawk chooses to retire. Even when he retires, I hope he visits frequently. I still have childhood memories of bouncing a rubber ball off of a tree in the back yard and making spectacular diving plays as I listened to Harry and Jimmy make the Sox thrilling on the radio. The entire rest of my Sox memory has been described by Hawk.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 08:51 AM)
D.J. sucks at what he does, I'd much rather have Stone, even if it means bringing back Chris Singleton into the radio booth xD. Of course, we can have Robin Ventura join Farmio too.

Yeah, something tells me he's not available....

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
I never felt like Hawk and DJ really liked each other.They can say that they do,but you could just tell they get on each others nerves.

I thought that at first but in the last couple of years it really does seem to me that they have grown to really like and respect one another especially hawk towards DJ. As much as I like Stone, I'd rather keep hawk and DJ together. I really think they do a good job together. Well if you are a white sox fan that is.

I've really come to enjoy DJ, but I think teams make a lot more money with television than with radio. If Stone is broadcasting, the "stars" of the booth would be Stone and Hawk. Sucks for DJ. He's now in his ninth season and has done everything asked, but its the way of the world now. If this is true, I hope DJ will consider moving to the radio booth. I think he could flourish if they would let him spread his wings. I think he'd be good as a PBP guy and let Farmer do color. DJ is a classy guy. I feel for him.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 04:12 AM)
Actually, watching Singleton on BBTN makes me wonder what the hell was going on in that booth. I'm curious to see what would happen in DJ left and was paired with a real PBP guy.

Not all analysts are good broadcasters. I like Kruk a lot, but wouldn't want to listen to him do color commentary for 162 games.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
...I still have childhood memories of bouncing a rubber ball off of a tree in the back yard and making spectacular diving plays as I listened to Harry and Jimmy make the Sox thrilling on the radio. The entire rest of my Sox memory has been described by Hawk.

Ahh yes, Jimmy! Hmm, is he still alive? Does he need a job??? ;)

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 06:48 AM)
I never felt like Hawk and DJ really liked each other.They can say that they do,but you could just tell they get on each others nerves.

Didn't they get into a big argument on the air back in 2000? They do OK together, but I'm scratching my head at these posts that say they have great chemistry. I don't see it. Hawk and Wimpy are a much better example of good chemistry.

Agreed with the poster who said that Hawk is more of a color guy at this point. I don't necessarily want him to retire because he's been the one constant voice of the Sox throughout most of my life. And he did work very well with Stoney last year, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad. I'd love to see the Sox pry Milo Hamilton away from the Astros and team him up with Farmer on the radio. Not sure how many good years he has left and it's a pipe dream anyway, but it would be really nice for a while.

Farmer is awful as a PBP guy, Stone really helps him bring some better knowledge and objectivity to the broadcast, but Stoney and Hawk would be superior than them IMO. I really wish they would have kept Rooney since Farmer is clearly the weakest radio guy we had.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
Didn't they get into a big argument on the air back in 2000? They do OK together, but I'm scratching my head at these posts that say they have great chemistry. I don't see it. Hawk and Wimpy are a much better example of good chemistry.

Agreed with the poster who said that Hawk is more of a color guy at this point. I don't necessarily want him to retire because he's been the one constant voice of the Sox throughout most of my life. And he did work very well with Stoney last year, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad. I'd love to see the Sox pry Milo Hamilton away from the Astros and team him up with Farmer on the radio. Not sure how many good years he has left and it's a pipe dream anyway, but it would be really nice for a while.

I agree, I'm reading this DJ love wondering if I have been hearing the same thing for the past 9 years. What does this guy bring to the table? He thinks there is a T at the end of the word across. His homerun calls are embarrassing (GOOOING GOOOOOOOOING GGGGGGGGOOONE!), his voice is annoying, his constant rising intonation makes me feel like he's talking to a 4 year old. I'm not saying Hawk is perfect by any means, but when he was together with Stone, the broadcast sounded "professional". I think most everybody agrees that Stone is the best of all the Sox broadcasters, he needs to stay here if it's possible and I want to hear him as much as possible so get him on TV. Sometimes I ignore the delay and watch the TV with the radio on. I feel like I'm missing out on something when I'm not listening to Stone call the game, I've never come close to feeling that with DJ.

I guess when Im watching baseball I want to enjoy it. DJ makes the telecast more enjoyable with his humor and demeanor. Maybe he doesnt know everything about baseball, but when Im watching the game I generally dont need some one to explain things I already know.

I can say that DJ has made me laugh more times watching a Sox game than any other announcer I can remember in Baseball, Basketball, or Football.

Uh oh!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
Farmer is awful as a PBP guy, Stone really helps him bring some better knowledge and objectivity to the broadcast, but Stoney and Hawk would be superior than them IMO. I really wish they would have kept Rooney since Farmer is clearly the weakest radio guy we had.

Disagree. I'm a huge Farmer fan. No way is he weaker than Singleton, nor Hawk, for that matter. I'll be supremely pissed if they ever get rid of him.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
Disagree. I'm a huge Farmer fan. No way is he weaker than Singleton, nor Hawk, for that matter. I'll be supremely pissed if they ever get rid of him.

Farmer is lucky to have Rooney and now Stone cover his ass these few years. Singelton didnt have the talent to carry Farmer, which is why he is gone.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)

I also enjoy Farmer. Actually got to meet him in the booth bout 7 years ago, actually got up during the game to shake my hand and we talked for about a minute or so, seemed like a great guy. My step dad's brother in law was one of the top chefs in the stadium club at the time, walked right into the booth with him, one of the coolest experiences I've ever had. Guy quit and got a job at the Conseco Field House or something, what a terrible day that was.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 08:27 AM)

Farmer fan here as well. Yes, he's arrogant and his monotone voice and golf stories used to annoy me when he was in Rooney's shadow, but I think that he's really stepped up over the past couple of years. He's still best off as a color guy, but can hold his own doing play-by-play. IMO, Farmer has eclipsed a declining Hawk as the Voice of the White Sox.

QUOTE (JoeCredeYes @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 08:20 AM)
I think most everybody agrees that Stone is the best of all the Sox broadcasters, he needs to stay here if it's possible

Whether he's on radio or TV, I agree. Stoney is awesome.