Carlos Quentin has a broken wrist

Steve9347

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 03:57 PM)
Has Griffey ever played LF? The Angels are a speedy team though, so over/under for triples for them is 1.5 tonight.

Don't know and that's definitely a fair point. I'd still rather try him in left than to see him butcher balls in center.

Here is the story from the Sun-Times.

Obviously, one of the Sox players told Cowley that CQ punched a locker.

I fear that's what really happened.

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

Carlos Quentin's season appears to be over as the White Sox left fielder and MVP candidate suffered a fractured right wrist that will require surgery Monday, according to sources.

It's not certain how Quentin suffered the injury, but speculation is he punched a locker in Boston. He was a late scratch before Monday's game in Cleveland and hasn't played since.

Quentin has 36 home runs.

The Sox have options to replace Quentin, including moving Ken Griffey Jr. from center to left field. And Nick Swisher would move to center.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)

Carlos Quentin's season appears to be over as the White Sox left fielder and MVP candidate suffered a fractured right wrist that will require surgery Monday, according to sources.

It's not certain how Quentin suffered the injury, but speculation is he punched a locker in Boston. He was a late scratch before Monday's game in Cleveland and hasn't played since.

The Sox have options to replace Quentin, including moving Ken Griffey Jr. from center to left field. And Nick Swisher would move to center.

If this is true, I lose any respect I had for him. That's not passion. That's being a f***ing idiot.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 10:09 PM)
If this is true, I lose any respect I had for him. That's not passion. That's being a f***ing idiot.

No reason to like it, but it does happen all the time. How many pitchers beat up water coolers, ect... I would suggest the clubhouse get a BOB, but then again we already had a doll issue earlier this season. :)

It is his right wrist which is not used to generate as much power as the left hence no realation ot Lee's injury als owhy he could come back sooner 4-6 weeks is players.

You know what I like (not really like but makes me smirk) the 7 and 8 figure guys in the line-up need to set it up.

Cabrera, AJ, Dye, Thome, Griffey, Swisher Uribe, Konerko.

Wise is back he'll see some time I bet.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 03:02 PM)

Typical Cowley... feeding the rumor mill.

Might have helped if he looked at a boxscore before he wrote it.

Quentin was NOT a scratch before Monday's game. He played Monday and went 0-4.

He hasn't played since then but he was in the lineup for the first Cleveland game.

Sheesh ppl. Lets see how we progress the next 20 games or so. As said before many veterans on this team. All we need is 3-4 runs per game.which we are fully capable of doing. FOR GOD SAKES PLEASE BUNT AND GET THE RUNNERS OVER!! I DONT CARE WHO IS AT BAT!!

What I really want too see is our pitching and defense really suck it up and give us their best performances for the rest of the season/ and post season.

Heck now that I think of it the Sox were not even suppose to be in 1st place. So whatevere they accomplish this year I will be more than satisfied. But winning a WS champioship would truly amazing!

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)

it's pretty difficult to injure the wrist punch a locker with a regular punch. Usually that hurts the bones in the back of the hand and is very apprearent. He would most likely need to punch with his palm for a wrist injury or have the bat hit it after throwing it down. The contact would need to be with his palm.

from Quentin himself...

"It happened Monday in my last at-bat against [Cleveland pitcher] Cliff Lee," Quentin said. "I fouled off the second pitch and did something I've done since I was a kid. I had the bat in my left hand and hit it with my right hand.

"Forty minutes later, I started feeling something in my wrist. The next morning, that was that."

Quentin is hopeful he can return this season.

"I'm going to have surgery to insert and internal kind of splint, something that will let me have mobility and a quicker rehab time," he said. "They're going to check it in 2-3 weeks and determine if I can pick up a bat.

"I'm very disappointed with this injury, especially this time of the season. I've had a couple of days to reflect on it. I'm ready to move on to the next step, heal as quickly as I can and come back. I'm going to stay positive and hold onto the possibility that I'll come back [this season]. The bone that's fractured is not misplaced. It's a small fracture."

"I've had a good season and I'm hoping I can continue with this season," Quentin said. "The frustrating thing is not being on the field with these guys."

Players react...

White Sox players react to news that Carlos Quentin could be gone for the season with a fractured right wrist:

Nick Swisher: "Obviously it's a huge blow to our team. We have to pull together and take this in the best way.

"[How good will team be?]We'll find out tonight. I think it's a huge loss. It's hard to tell. With the power that he's provided, taking that out of the lineup, we have to pull together.

"The timing couldn't be worse. I hope he heals faster than any of us can imagine."

Jim Thome: "The bottom line is we have to hope for the best. It's going to be tough. Anytime you take a bat like that out of the lineup, it's going to be very tough. We all need to step it up.

"It's hard to replace a guy in the middle of the lineup. When Ozzie [Guillen] changed the lineup before it worked well. We'll have to see what happens. The bottom line is we have three weeks to go, and it should be a fun three weeks. Let's enjoy it."

The Sox' lineup tonight is Orlando Cabrera, A.J. Pierzynski, Jermaine Dye, Jim Thome, Paul Konerko, Ken Griffey Jr., Alexei Ramirez and Juan Uribe.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 04:37 PM)
Typical Cowley... feeding the rumor mill.

Might have helped if he looked at a boxscore before he wrote it.

Quentin was NOT a scratch before Monday's game. He played Monday and went 0-4.

He hasn't played since then but he was in the lineup for the first Cleveland game.

Cowley is probably the worst when it comes to believability. Remember Uribe was cut, this person was traded, that person is benched.

Quentin didn't rule out returning but called his right wrist fracture "a freak thing." He said he hurt it while fouling off a pitch in his final at-bat Monday, slamming his right hand against the knob of the bat.

Quentin denied strongly that he slammed his hand against a locker in Boston.

This is a big loss. Quentin has carried the sox this year. But he alone wasn't going to get the sox to the playoffs by himself. It's the sox pitching that is or is not going to carry them to the playoffs. And just as importantly, the big boys need to step it up. AJ, Dye, Thome, Pk, Griffey and Swish can't be easy outs the rest of the way.

QUOTE (alexgtp @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 04:41 PM)
Sheesh ppl. Lets see how we progress the next 20 games or so. As said before many veterans on this team. All we need is 3-4 runs per game.which we are fully capable of doing. FOR GOD SAKES PLEASE BUNT AND GET THE RUNNERS OVER!! I DONT CARE WHO IS AT BAT!!

What I really want too see is our pitching and defense really suck it up and give us their best performances for the rest of the season/ and post season.

Heck now that I think of it the Sox were not even suppose to be in 1st place. So whatevere they accomplish this year I will be more than satisfied. But winning a WS champioship would truly amazing!

You have to be kidding. That is the quickest way to lose games. Are you Ozzie Guillen?

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
I'll say what I've said before.

Cowley's trying to be the new Marriotti.

He's been doing that for awhile, he's done many things that have hurt his credibility, especially with his peers.

And its all about pitching folks, we pitch, we win. And Junior, this is your last shot, your entire career could be capped off by this year if you make it happen.

Well, let's look at the bright side. We have remained in first place all year without Paul Konerko playing...(even when he played, up until August, he might as well have not been there). Now Paulie is starting to really hit the ball well again, and CQ is out. We will be fine, as long as our PITCHING doesn't s*** the bed. Paulie has really stepped it up lately. Oh, and for f***'s sake, could Nick Swisher start hitting something?

Edited by CQMVP