Cabrera Rips Teammates

DaTank

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)
So you think he is wrong, and the losers on this team that have spent the last month choking in fear are right? Good riddance indeed, moves like letting him go are why we consistently fail in September (and October I guess you can throw in there, even though we haven't been there and failed in 8 years), outside of 2005. It amazes me more and more by the day that 2005 happened, because every other team of ours finds a way to blow it. Always.

How can you say good riddance? Seriously why? He has been consistent and we haven't had to worry about shortstop. Unlike previous years. I don't understand what this guy has done to make people dislike him. Because Joe Cowley said so?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then there was this little gem on the clubhouse antics: ''There are guys that want to be clowns or want to be funny or want to be this, but what I don't like is there's a time for that and a time to get serious in a ballgame, and I don't see that. ... You can have fun, but at the same time, you have to take care of business.''

I guess he doesn't understand how important inflatable dolls are

Right message, wrong guy. Kindof. He had the current production to do it. I'm not certain Thome or Kong could have said it either. Buerhle? He's probably the best one to have stepped up and made those comments.

QUOTE (aboz56 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
Wait, you're calling a guy who helped lead the Sox to a World Series a bum and Orlando Cabrera a winner? The Angels surely didn't miss Cabrera and he's not exactly lighting the world on fire for the Sox.

Yes, Paul Konerko is a bum. He hit a grand slam 3 years ago and I thank him for it, but he can take his sorry ass out of town with his 12 million a year and his 5 LOB. You can't honestly tell me there aren't 100 different ways you would rather spend that 12 mil. Captain of the team should show a little commitment and lift an effing weight or two and quit being such a morose piece of crap.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 09:51 PM)
I wouldn't want to be put down on my bad play with three (possibly four games) to play. Would you? It's only added pressure on the players. A good time would be anytime besides now. Like I said, the players don't need added pressure, especially now. Why would I respect Ozzie Guillen? You don't? He's the manager of this team and has done a pretty good job in that position in my opinion. I really don't care if he's "consistent and rational". He's not there to baby the players. OC should just learn how to shut his mouth. He causes too much drama.

Learn to shut his mouth? The guy nailed it right on the head, team loaded with talent can't beat the TWINS. Let's be honest, the Sox are Twins are both pretty bad, neither team would/will do jack squat in the playoffs. Everybody gets too wrapped up with how good of a guy players are. I couldn't care less if the team was full of the biggest scumbags in the world as long as they won. You're telling me that OCAB put's too much pressure and drama into the clubhouse? If these guys can't handle the pressure of playing baseball, I don't think they would have made it this far.

I think the one thing that this series in Minnesota has showed us, is that we need to get more guys who can get on base, but they have to hit for a good average also.

Nick Swisher for instance gives you a pretty good OBP, but he's been a major dissapointment in terms of his BA this season.

Cabrera hasn't been as good as last season, but he's still hit for a decent average and his OBP is right around where it's been the past few seasons.

I would still try to do what I could to trade Konerko in the off-season considering he's declining, and that Jim Thome is back for another season.

Swisher can move to 1B, and if he doesn't hit better next season, trade him, and bring say Brandon Allen up, if Allen can show that he is ready to contribute at the major league level.

I would pull out all the stops to sign Orlando Hudson on a 2 or 3 year deal for around $12-13M a season. It's a lot for a 2nd baseman, but he hits around the .300 mark, has had an excellent OBP over the past few seasons, and is argubly the best defensive 2nd baseman in the game. Him and Ramirez in the middle IF would be a joy to watch until Gordon Beckham is ready.

CF is the area which I'd look for KW to make another move in whether it's via FA or a trade. Can't recall who the main CF's in FA are, but I'd love for KW to make a Quentin like trade and pick up someone who can sure up that area for the next 5 seasons or so.

3B is another area, where I'd look to make a change. Fields shouldn't fit as a long - term player due to his low BA/OBP numbers. I'd look at Adrian Beltre for a season if the price was right, or Chone Figgins or Garrett Atkins.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
BTW, my prediction for White Sox 3rd baseman next year is Melvin Mora.

I'd like a Roberts/Mora trade as much as the next guy, but for who?

The only thing with Mora, I just don't like this idea of taking on contracts of players in their 30's anymore...at least Swisher, albeit a failure to this point, is close to in his prime. Maybe he's just not that good, I don't know.

The results with Cabrera have been mixed. For whatever reason, he's gotten on Ozzie's bad side and it's hard to get back in his good graces. Maybe it's because O-Cab thinks of himself as the "on field" manager and there's a fight for control or authority or respect between the two. Also, I know Cabrer and Renteria (both Colombians) had a falling out. I wonder if maybe there's also an issue we don't know about...something that has happened besides the call to the booth, the leaving the clubhouse early, etc. I know a lot of Venezuelans and Colombians don't get along, from my one year living down there.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
BTW, my prediction for White Sox 3rd baseman next year is Melvin Mora.

He's had a decent season, but he'll be what 37 next season.

Depends on the O's asking price I guess.

Also IIRC, he's not exactly the world's greatest fielde at 3rd base.

Hence why I'd prefer Beltre instead.

I'd give up Fields for him in a deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
I am going to predict that Brandon Allen is one of the guys traded this off season. Call it a hunch based on history.

That wouldn't surprise me either, considering KW's past history, and trading prospects while their value is at their highest point.

I have no problems including say Poreda and Allen in a deal if it can help get me a good young CF that will put up an .800OPS for the next few seasons and that guy will be good defensively. The problem is, those guys don't exactly grow on trees, and they're pretty high in demand.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 09:50 AM)
He's had a decent season, but he'll be what 37 next season.

Depends on the O's asking price I guess.

Also IIRC, he's not exactly the world's greatest fielde at 3rd base.

Hence why I'd prefer Beltre instead.

I'd give up Fields for him in a deal.

After Olivo/Morse/Reed for Garcia and Thornton for Borchard, we would have to give up Fields, Poreda and Allen for Beltre, lol.

Anyone listen to Mulley and Hanley this morning on The Score? They talked to the Sun-Times' Sox beat writer Joe Cowley who had some telling comentary on Swisher. Basically, he described how everyone got the impression that even when things were going bad, Swisher would always be the happy-go-lucky, clowning around, good guy in the clubhouse. However, he has now isolated himself in the clubhouse and its very apparent he is unhappy with his current situation with the Sox. Whether he is unhappy with his poor performance, management, teammates, Ozzie, or a combination of all of them is undetermined. Cowley and Mulley even mentioned it will be likely that Swisher will request to be moved within the year.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
Anyone listen to Mulley and Hanley this morning on The Score? They talked to the Sun-Times' Sox beat writer Joe Cowley who had some telling comentary on Swisher. Basically, he described how everyone got the impression that even when things were going bad, Swisher would always be the happy-go-lucky, clowning around, good guy in the clubhouse. However, he has now isolated himself in the clubhouse and its very apparent he is unhappy with his current situation with the Sox. Whether he is unhappy with his poor performance, management, teammates, Ozzie, or a combination of all of them is undetermined. Cowley and Mulley even mentioned it will be likely that Swisher will request to be moved within the year.

Hmmm that is quite interesting.

Swisher still would have some value, but it's obviously not at the point at where it was a season ago.

I wonder if the A's would take him back actually? Billy Beane always loved him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
After Olivo/Morse/Reed for Garcia and Thornton for Borchard, we would have to give up Fields, Poreda and Allen for Beltre, lol.

Beltre's only got the 1 season left on his deal IIRC.

I'd offer Fields and 2 other prospects not named Poreda for starters, to kick off negotiations.

QUOTE (aboz56 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 08:38 PM)
Wait, you're calling a guy who helped lead the Sox to a World Series a bum and Orlando Cabrera a winner? The Angels surely didn't miss Cabrera and he's not exactly lighting the world on fire for the Sox.

Ask any Angel fan and they'll drive Garland all the way back to Chicago to have OC back.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 06:42 AM)
Alot of what he said is aimed towards Swisher which I have no problem with.

Cowley said on the radio this morning that he feels like Swisher wants out of town and will asked to be traded this off season.One can only hope.

Swisher is f***ing worthless...worthless. Whomever suggested Cano for Swisher, I'd pee my pants in happiness. Cano is coming off a down seaosn but is a tremendous pure hitter and would be stellar to have in the 2 spot (despite his struggles this season). Defensively he leaves a lot to be desired though.

While OC made what I believe to be some valid points, one being they should win some games before they start, there are a couple problems with his comments in my mind.

Players prepare themselves for games differently. Some must focus for hours, some play cards, some joke around. Everyone who is on a major league roster, even if they suck, are excellent baseball players and have gone about their business most likely the same way for many years and its obviously been successful.

Why, if you're a leader, do you call out your teammates on a sports radio show? Why not face to face? I know some will say how do I know he hasn't done that. Reading Ozzie's comments, its rather obvious he has not.

And, if you're such a leader and you don't like how your team goes about their business, why is it you don't say anything until the end of September?

OC is a whiner. Ozzie doesn't like him because OC thinks Scoscia is a better manager than Ozzie. Of course every baseball person not named Hawk thinks exactly the same thing. OC perhaps had valid points, but his timing and venue of his remarks were terrible. I'm sure the Sox spin will be 24 guys + 1 guy. After building him up all season, they will say he's addition by subtraction. I hope they are right.