Dye to Reds Speculation

VenomSox

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
If we were able to get rid of Thome, I wouldn't mind a Dye for Joey Votto deal.

I am sure you wouldn't. Unfortunatley I think the Reds would. They are trying to add power through JD. Giving us Votto for Dye would be an offensive wash and cost the reds more. Sorry but that is not going to happen. Plus Joey Votto is only 25.

Edited by yoyozuna

Why would KW be interested in Bailey for Dye? Bailey gives up a lot of homeruns and had an ERA near 8.00 last season and almost 6.00 the year before.

Reading some other posts makes me wonder all over again just what evaluation process do some fans use when rating Sox players? Comenst lioke getting rid of Thome. Thome fills the role he is in at DH with the best of DH's in the AL

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 10:14 PM)
Why would KW be interested in Bailey for Dye? Bailey gives up a lot of homeruns and had an ERA near 8.00 last season and almost 6.00 the year before.

Reading some other posts makes me wonder all over again just what evaluation process do some fans use when rating Sox players? Comenst lioke getting rid of Thome. Thome fills the role he is in at DH with the best of DH's in the AL

There was a time not that long ago when Homer Bailey was the best piching prospect in baseball. He still has the potential to be that guy. There was also a time when Thome and Dye were young and in the prime of their careers. That time is not now.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)
The more I think about it...

I would not be shocked if the Sox traded Dye and re-signed Griffey to a 1-year deal.

At the very least, I'm beginning to believe that the Sox will offer Griffey arbitration.

We'll see about the arbitration on Monday.

Why would the Sox offer him arbitration? He makes way too much money. He'd be more expensive than Dye in all probability. And if there really is no serious negotiation taking place, why would he agree to turn down the arbitration making himself a little less desirable to other teams because they would have to surrender a draft choice?

I wouldn't be shocked if the Sox traded Dye, that Griffey would return, very cheaply. But arbitration, no way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
Why would the Sox offer him arbitration? He makes way too much money. He'd be more expensive than Dye in all probability. And if there really is no serious negotiation taking place, why would he agree to turn down the arbitration making himself a little less desirable to other teams because they would have to surrender a draft choice?

I wouldn't be shocked if the Sox traded Dye, that Griffey would return, very cheaply. But arbitration, no way.

Griffey is a Type B free agent and teams don't have to surrender draft picks when they sign type B's. I do agree with you, there's a less than 0% chance the Sox offer Griffey arbitration unless they know for a fact that he'd decline for whatever reason. He's probably worth about half of the $12M he'd make in arbitration, not worth the risk for some pick in the 40's.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 04:37 AM)
there's a less than 0% chance the Sox offer Griffey arbitration unless they know for a fact that he'd decline for whatever reason.

I agree. But if the mlb.com article yesterday is true, and not just blowing smoke, 9 teams have contacted Griffey's agent expressing interest.

If that is the case, then the odds of him accepting arbitration by December 7th are small.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)
I agree. But if the mlb.com article yesterday is true, and not just blowing smoke, 9 teams have contacted Griffey's agent expressing interest.

If that is the case, then the odds of him accepting arbitration by December 7th or whatever are small.

Griffey's official salary was $8.3 million, not counting all the bonuses and other ancillary benefits from his contract.

So they could cut him to $6.7 million...but I don't know if they could win that case for sure. They might end up paying him around $9 million instead, and I don't think he's worth 80% of Jermaine Dye.

The other question is how many teams out there would be willing to pay Griffey MORE than $6.7 million for 2009?

Edited by caulfield12

According to Griffey's agent Brian Goldberg...

"Kenny realizes that he probably would be a middle-ground guy when it comes to salary," he said. "He also understands that a contract could include some incentives, but I don't think he'll price himself out of a job. He's never been about being the highest paid."

Goldberg said Griffey would be receptive to a one-year contract offer from "the right team in the right place," but wouldn't be any more specific than that.

I'm just thinking that if the Sox do suddenly seem serious about retaining Griffey that it would be further evidence that a Dye deal may be coming.

Regarding what they could cut him to... I don't believe the 80/70 rules apply to free agents... only to players that are under a team's control at the time of the arbitration.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 08:56 AM)
According to Griffey's agent Brian Goldberg...

"Kenny realizes that he probably would be a middle-ground guy when it comes to salary," he said. "He also understands that a contract could include some incentives, but I don't think he'll price himself out of a job. He's never been about being the highest paid."

Goldberg said Griffey would be receptive to a one-year contract offer from "the right team in the right place," but wouldn't be any more specific than that.

I'm just thinking that if the Sox do suddenly seem serious about retaining Griffey that it would be further evidence that a Dye deal may be coming.

Regarding what they could cut him to... I don't believe the 80/70 rules apply to free agents... only to players that are under a team's control at the time of the arbitration.

Yes. The White Sox could offer him the minimum right now and he could accept it. If Dye happened to be traded, it wouldn't shock me Griffey came back at about half the price. The question I would have though is would he be a RF? KW went out of his way to explain how playing CF was much easier than RF (I'm sure it was just spin because a real CF wasn't going to get much playing time with the 2008 White Sox).

I'd probably stay away from Griffey at this point, even if he was willing to play for $5-6 million, unless you had a spot for him to DH at least half the time. You can blame his knee for his lack of production last year, but that's part of the problem. He gets hurt almost every year. Chances are, pushing 40, that trend will continue.

Edited by Dick Allen

Interesting article, especially when you take it in the context of how Gavin Floyd was thought of before this year, and how Homer Bailey is thought of now... Its the reason that if Kenny goes out and gets a pitcher in a trade, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt if he is seemingly buying low.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8866556...in-recent-years

9. Rangers/White Sox (2007): John Danks, Nick Masset and Jacob Rasner to Chicago for Brandon McCarthy and David Paisano

An under-the-radar trade at the time, the first-glance winner when the trade went down was actually the Rangers. After the 2006 season, McCarthy was an up-and-coming pitcher with the White Sox who had showed some potential during Chicago's World Series run in 2005, yet a year removed was still without a spot in the rotation. Danks had been considered one of the Rangers top pitching prospects, but his 2006 season was a disappointment in Double and Triple-A and he simply was not progressing the way the Rangers had hoped.

Without a doubt, McCarthy was, at the time, considered to be more "major-league ready" The immediate evidence showed that neither pitcher seemed to be ready to be a Major League starting pitcher, as McCarthy 5-10 with a 4.87 ERA in the Bandbox at Arlington and Danks did even worse to the tune of 6-15 and 5.50. Ultimately, however, White Sox GM Kenny Williams proved why general managers will almost always take talent and a higher ceiling over "major-league readiness" in a trade, as Danks went out in 2008 and was one of the best pitchers in the American League, while McCarthy made only five starts, battling both injuries and ineffectiveness.

Ramirez continues to produce phenomenal all around numbers in front of crowds more appropriate for professional bowling and the national spelling bee. What would the baseball landscape look like if Ramirez was being protected by David Ortiz in the heart of the Boston order and hitting balls off a Monster that is dark green rather than teal? Would the Red Sox have won the World Series in 2007 with a 3-4-5 of Hanley Ramirez, David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez, but no Josh Beckett? Would they have been able to come back in the ALCS without Beckett's unbelievable performances? With that offense, would they be down 3-1 in the first place? from same article

Interesting things to ponder in the midst of hot stove season.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 07:25 PM)
So, Jocketty admitted that there have been talks between the Reds and the White Sox and refused to discredit the Dye rumors. We may be in business boys.

I hope so. This rumor, if it is serious, at the very least shows how much Dye with his favorable contract is worth in this market. If the Sox are really interested in Bailey then I am too, because I very much trust their judgment on other teams' pitchers.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 08:41 PM)
I hope so. This rumor, if it is serious, at the very least shows how much Dye with his favorable contract is worth in this market. If the Sox are really interested in Bailey then I am too, because I very much trust their judgment on other teams' pitchers.

Who would be your LFer then? Wise? Viciedo? Quentin? Fields? (assuming we move Carlos over to RF is most logical, if Dye were to be traded)

Would you then go out and have the confidence to deal Vazquez and go with four youngsters in the rotation?

Would you sign a veteran for the 5th spot just in case, or pray that Bailey and Richard/Poreda came through?

Sounds to me that Homer Bailey would be like another Gavin Floyd type project. I mean if this guys was at one time the #1 pitching prospect in baseball, im guessing he can get his flaws fixed... I wouldn't mind this deal at all. Especially if KW uses the money left over on other pieces to the 2009 puzzle.

Im hoping KW does indeed wait awhile... im sure KW is going to get a lot of calls after Sabathia and Texiera are off the market....

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 03:44 AM)
Who would be your LFer then? Wise? Viciedo? Quentin? Fields? (assuming we move Carlos over to RF is most logical, if Dye were to be traded)

Would you then go out and have the confidence to deal Vazquez and go with four youngsters in the rotation?

Would you sign a veteran for the 5th spot just in case, or pray that Bailey and Richard/Poreda came through?

A deal for Javy should also include another young arm [who has thrown 100 + innings in the bigs] who could be the 4th/ 5th starter. I think an OFer could also be had in the deal, who could compete for a spot.

Quentin would probably be moved to RF, as the sox would probably want a better athlete for LF and CF. Taveras would probably be in CF.

I'd deal for a vet such as Duchscherer who could be a health risk [with his hip], yet has a big upside.