Alex Rodriguez tested postive for steroids in 2003; Admits It

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox420* @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
How does everyone think this will go over in comparison to Michael Phelps... will A-Fraud will lose sponsorships? Personally I feel steroids are much worse the recreational marijuana use... and maybe with the proximity of these two stories some ppl will be able to see that too.

Who cares. One plays baseball, one swims. People only "care" about swimming once every four years, and then forget.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
I like the way you're put together.

I usually cheer for news stories that aggravate and upset a large number of people. This last week I've been especially satisfied with Phelps smoking out of bong and Arod testing positive for steroids. Just prepare yourself for the manufactured outrage from the media. We'll probably be overwhelmed with these types for the unforeseeable future.

Best part of all this? Canseco was right, yet again, and it's going to KILL some people on ESPN to admit it. I wish someone like David Ortiz was accused of taking steroids by Canseco just so people would squirm in their seats at the thought of their fugly DH shooting up roids.

When I read Canseco's book right when it came out, everyone I knew said I shouldn't believe a word of it. It seems like the guy is proven to be right again and again, and yet nobody apologizes to him for telling the truth (because he did it for the money), when they had no problem smearing him constantly when he first released it.

I now think it wouldn't be that bad for Pujols to go down soon. That way, Thomas, Thome, and Griffey are basically the only 90's sluggers that wouldn't have been caught or suspected. All played for the White Sox and did it clean...that would be a great story.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
The thing is, he was such a stud since he was young (still arguably the best high school player ever seen) that you wouldn't think he would need an edge to be as great as he already was. That's what I think he was stupid in that regard. Well... there's still Frank and Griffey who, so far, are clean and still the best players in our era.

But we should just try and move forward on this. Baseball is a game of edges, and eventually/most of the time, folks take them. Ritalin, scuffed balls, vaseline, red juice, cutting the bases, spitting on the ball, watering the basepaths, drying out the field with gasoline, pine tar, telescopes in CF, blinking lights, foot tappers in the 3rd base box, infield decks, corked bats, holding the runners belt, stealing signs from the dugout, tilted baselines... HGH, PEDs, steroids.

What are these things?

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
ESPN is reporting that 104 players tested positive in 2003, does anybody know how many players were tested?

All of them. Over 1000 players were all tested in Spring Training. The rule as agreed was that if over 5% of players tested positive in 03 in unpunished, undisclosed tests, then in 2004 there would be mandatory testing with some limited punishments if you get caught several times.

Later in the 2003 season, there were 200 or so random retests done. I think some goal of those was to retest the people who were informed they tested positive in spring training.

The thing that is still remarkable to me to this day is...the players knew for months, since the last CBA was signed in August of 2002, that there were going to be tests in Spring 2003 and it was going to cover everyone and everyone would benefit if they actually took some steps to get themselves clean, and 10% of the league still tested positive.

For White Sox fans, these are also the tests that the White Sox tried to screw with the players association on. If you refused to take the test, you would be recorded as a positive. In order to make sure testing continued in 2004, virtually the entire White Sox clubhouse mutinied against the players association, which they regarded as defending people who were cheating and refused initially to take the tests to make sure that they would continue the testing program in 2004. They were all eventually tested, I believe after they knew that the 5% number had already been crossed.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
The thing is, he was such a stud since he was young (still arguably the best high school player ever seen) that you wouldn't think he would need an edge to be as great as he already was. That's what I think he was stupid in that regard. Well... there's still Frank and Griffey who, so far, are clean and still the best players in our era.

But we should just try and move forward on this. Baseball is a game of edges, and eventually/most of the time, folks take them. Ritalin, scuffed balls, vaseline, red juice, cutting the bases, spitting on the ball, watering the basepaths, drying out the field with gasoline, pine tar, telescopes in CF, blinking lights, foot tappers in the 3rd base box, infield decks, corked bats, holding the runners belt, stealing signs from the dugout, tilted baselines... HGH, PEDs, steroids.

He was the best player in the minors in Low A when I saw him play for appleton. A man amoung men at 18.

Bonds is the same thing. A great player before the abuse began.

It a shame these guys aren't satisfied with being one of the best players of all time. They needed to go out and be the best HR hitters of all time. But in reality that's where the money is because that's what most fans seem to want.

It's still a shame though.

Hopefully, he'll get what he deserves and it helps to clean up the game. If the past couple of season are any indication, it is heaed in the right direction.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
He was the best player in the minors in Low A when I saw him play for appleton. A man amoung men at 18.

Bonds is the same thing. A great player before the abuse began.

How exactly do we know when either of them started juicing? I'll guarantee you the stuff was available if they wanted it while they were still in high school, especially ARod. Maybe he's a man among boys at 18 because his body is overloading with artificial testosterone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 06:10 PM)
How exactly do we know when either of them started juicing? I'll guarantee you the stuff was available if they wanted it while they were still in high school, especially ARod. Maybe he's a man among boys at 18 because his body is overloading with artificial testosterone.

Sorry, Man among men was meant by performance (defense and offense) not physical stature. He was a skinny kid the whole time. There was no way he was on them at that time. Looks like he was later though. I tend to agree with the previous poster when you look at how he changed later. But with early 20's players who should be growing and filling out it's not always easy to tell.

i know the they are available in high school and unfortunately it is all too prevalent. But again the physical changes tend to be fairly obvious. It's not fool proof by any means but it's there.

I still feel reasonably confident that Frank didn't use. Not 100% of course, as I can't be, but pretty sure. My fear though, is that when HOF voters look at him, if they don't know him well enough, he'll be looked at as part of the whole thing.

Also, if I had to completely ballpark it, I'd guess something like 20% to 30% of major leaguers have, at some point in their professional careers, used some sort of banned substance.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 07:31 PM)
I still feel reasonably confident that Frank didn't use. Not 100% of course, as I can't be, but pretty sure. My fear though, is that when HOF voters look at him, if they don't know him well enough, he'll be looked at as part of the whole thing.

Also, if I had to completely ballpark it, I'd guess something like 20% to 30% of major leaguers have, at some point in their professional careers, used some sort of banned substance.

Gammons thinks 80% at least tried it.

So who are the sure-fire Hall of Famers from this generation that are left?

Thomas, Thome, Griffey and Manny Ramirez? Pujols, if he's clean.

Randy Johnson, Maddux and Glavine, Trevor Hoffman and Mariano Rivera. Pedro Martinez. Mussina perhaps.

So the next interesting question will be do Bonds and A-Rod ever get into the Hall of Fame?...Clemens, you could make a case he doesn't deserve it because of the career trajectory, but it will be interesting to see how things look with five or ten years' additional perspective.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 07:31 PM)

From the way it seems today, I wonder if its more like 20 to 30% haven't. :unsure:

As much as I hate the Yankees, and to a point dislike Arod, all I feel about this, is just how bad it is for the game. I am a huge baseball fan, not just the Sox. All I can feel righ tnow is that it just sadness that this is what has become of this game. And how it went on for so long with no one doing a goddamn thing about it.

So who are the sure-fire Hall of Famers from this generation that are left?

Thomas, Thome, Griffey and Manny Ramirez? Pujols, if he's clean.

Randy Johnson, Maddux and Glavine, Trevor Hoffman and Mariano Rivera. Pedro Martinez. Mussina perhaps

Jeter, Ichiro (are definite 1st ballots. Ichiro is even more amaznig, he will probably be a hall of famer in 2 countries :o), B. Wagner, if he's clean, Vlad (by the time his career is over) I think Smoltz will get in, just not 1st ballot. there's others (Other posters can futher comment on it as I'm sure even I've missed a few/alot more.)

Definitely Vladimir Guerrero and Ichiro....and, as long as Jeter is clean (and he's not a power-based player, although his SLG shot up for awhile), he's first ballot.

The question with Guerrero will be his health...if he at least puts up 2,500 hits, I think he'll be in for sure.

Piazza is obviously under a huge cloud of suspicion...and there have always been doubts about I-Rod (not defensively, of course...but about his size and power/hitting).

Billy Wagner? Don't think so....I think Smoltz is just a notch under Hall of Fame, too. I think Smoltz and/or Mussina will both get in eventually, but the cases are not clear-cut.

Another player you don't hear much about is Bagwell (in terms of steroids rumors)...and Biggio will be there.

It's hard to imagine, but Roberto Alomar might not make it (the spitting incident with Hirschbeck and the rapid fade to his career at the end), and ten years ago or so, you could argue that he was the best 2nd baseman ever...and have a legit case.

Edited by caulfield12

Lol, I would bet everything I own that Alomar gets in... for sure and probably first ballot. And I believe there was an article linking Bags to HGH/clear (can't remember) if I'm not mistaken. B-G-O... yea I love him (probably not as much as Alex though)... he's getting in I doubt he took anything, but I could be wrong. Bags, Piazza, I-Rod etc.. I don't see it.

EDIT: Oh.. forgot... Todd Helton?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 01:39 AM)
Lol, I would bet everything I own that Alomar gets in... for sure and probably first ballot. And I believe there was an article linking Bags to HGH/clear (can't remember) if I'm not mistaken. B-G-O... yea I love him (probably not as much as Alex though)... he's getting in I doubt he took anything, but I could be wrong. Bags, Piazza, I-Rod etc.. I don't see it.

EDIT: Oh.. forgot... Todd Helton?

When you think of Todd Helton, do you think HOF?

I don't...I think Coors Field. I think you're just going to have to put up OVERWHELMING numbers playing the majority of your career games there.

I know Bichette and Larry Walker didn't come close to having the numbers (Walker maybe) to be in the HOF discussion, but I'm thinking Helton will have a very difficult time making it.

It's hard with I-Rod...because for most of his career, he was favorably compared with every catcher in the history of the game, coming out behind ONLY Johnny Bench to most "subjective" baseball writers/reporters. But the taint could stop both him and Piazza as well, two sure-fire HOF players about five years ago.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 01:16 AM)
Definitely Vladimir Guerrero and Ichiro....and, as long as Jeter is clean (and he's not a power-based player, although his SLG shot up for awhile), he's first ballot.

The question with Guerrero will be his health...if he at least puts up 2,500 hits, I think he'll be in for sure.

Piazza is obviously under a huge cloud of suspicion...and there have always been doubts about I-Rod (not defensively, of course...but about his size and power/hitting).

Billy Wagner? Don't think so....I think Smoltz is just a notch under Hall of Fame, too. I think Smoltz and/or Mussina will both get in eventually, but the cases are not clear-cut.

Another player you don't hear much about is Bagwell (in terms of steroids rumors)...and Biggio will be there.

It's hard to imagine, but Roberto Alomar might not make it (the spitting incident with Hirschbeck and the rapid fade to his career at the end), and ten years ago or so, you could argue that he was the best 2nd baseman ever...and have a legit case.

Roberto Alomar is the greatest 2B ever, and he will get into the HOF without question.

I simmed through the early portions, but he took two different froms of Anabolic Steroids?

According to Sports Illustrated, citing four sources, Rodriguez tested positive for two anabolic steroids during the 2003 season, when he won the American League home run title and league's Most Valuable Player Award as a shortstop for the Texas Rangers.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/14...-020809.article