2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)
Cubs fans at work are trying to make fun of me for the Sox cancelling the home opener due to snow(i just dont get it, as if it makes them wimpy or something). I sent a few of them an article from way back in 2001 when the Cubs cancelled a game for the same reason, and strangely enough I get no reply.

yeah i remember that day well...my high school game didnt get cancelled.....it was so unbearably cold...that was a day you didnt want to get jammed

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 08:04 PM)
did Steve Phillips just say that Jason Michaels used to play for the sox? either he's an idiot or I missed a year.

How many games is Steve Phillips calling today? He was also at Mets/Reds.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
whoops that wasn't Phillips, it was Sutcliff.

They're both equally as useless as announcers so it was an honest mistake.

Bradley playing alot in the field isn't going to work and they should just let Marmol close now instead of making the switch down the line

Why are Brenley and Kasper making Bradley out to be Babe Ruth? Did anybody see that DP in the 3rd inning I think it was? They said Bradley caught it in RF acting like he might not get there so Matsui would get screwed up. Then Bradley was up on 3-0 and he swung and fouled it back and they talked about how much trust Lou has in him as a hitter and how scouts are righting it down right now. Bite me.

Gregg also looked decent enough even though he gave up a run. If the Cubs stay healthy, especially Soriano, they obviously are the class of that division.

If they make the playoffs year after year, eventually they are going to strike it rich.

Injuries will be key as always but they appear to be the class of that division again.

If they make the playoffs year after year, eventually they are going to strike it rich.

This is what scares me. Right now whenever Cub fans poke fun at our attendance, we use 2005 to strike back. That's our trump card. What happens if one of these years the Cubs do win it all? Then we have nothing....absolutely nothing....to use against them. They'll have the better attendance AND the trophy. We cannot even try to use the argument of "well we won it first" because that won't mean a damn thing to anyone.

In fact, even now I hear Cub fans say things like, "ha, you guys won a world series and your team is irrelevant in this town." It's so frustrating.

QUOTE (JustWin @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 08:45 AM)
This is what scares me. Right now whenever Cub fans poke fun at our attendance, we use 2005 to strike back. That's our trump card. What happens if one of these years the Cubs do win it all? Then we have nothing....absolutely nothing....to use against them. They'll have the better attendance AND the trophy. We cannot even try to use the argument of "well we won it first" because that won't mean a damn thing to anyone.

In fact, even now I hear Cub fans say things like, "ha, you guys won a world series and your team is irrelevant in this town." It's so frustrating.

Your frustration is what they are after. So don't waste the energy.

Besides, really, who cares? The Sox do well, they are among the winningest organizations this decade, attendance has been middle to upper half for years now, the park is great, the team is set for a lot of solid years with a solid young core of talent in the majors and minors... life is good for Sox fans. Just forget about the Cubs.

QUOTE (JustWin @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 08:45 AM)

Except they're not irrelevant, they still have good attendance. The Sox will never be as "popular" as the Cubs so don't waste your energy arguing with Cubs "fans" about it.

It's hard not to argue with Cubs fans. They do have a very good team and cub fans are just so cocky. I always say I won't let them get to me but the minute they start with their drivel it's hard to just not respond to it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 11:17 PM)
Gregg also looked decent enough even though he gave up a run. If the Cubs stay healthy, especially Soriano, they obviously are the class of that division.

Injuries will be key as always but they appear to be the class of that division again.

Carpenter and Wainwright missed most of last year and the Cards still won 86 games. Too many people are giving the Cubs a quick pass in this divison. Me? Not so much.

QUOTE (JustWin @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
It's hard not to argue with Cubs fans. They do have a very good team and cub fans are just so cocky. I always say I won't let them get to me but the minute they start with their drivel it's hard to just not respond to it.

Last year broke the backs of a lot of Cubs fans. I haven't seen nearly as many being cocky.

Also, Bob Brenly: "Nothing like some scrambled eggs and Captain Morgan to get you ready for Opening Day." What?