2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cubs win on a horrible call by the ump. 3-2 to Fox with bases loaded, the Brewers pitcher lays right down the heart of the plate, belt high and it's called a ball.

EDIT: maybe it wasn't right down the middle or belt high, but that still looked like a strike.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)
Cubs win on a horrible call by the ump. 3-2 to Fox with bases loaded, the Brewers pitcher lays right down the heart of the plate, belt high and it's called a ball.

You can't get much more of the plate than that. Brutal call.

The MLB needs a mechanism to fine umpires for sucking at their jobs.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 09:27 PM)

Possibly 1.5 back after tonight with Ramirez back next week. Our best bet is the Cardinals, as Milwaukee might have the worst starting rotation in the majors.

Just saw a replay of the final pitch. It's pretty telling when the batter isn't even trying to sell it as a walk. If that happened to a Cubs pitcher, someone on the Cubs would have punched the umpire and been suspended 1 game max.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 04:28 PM)
You can't get much more of the plate than that. Brutal call.

The MLB needs a mechanism to fine umpires for sucking at their jobs.

They do have such a system...

I don't think they fine the umps though.

Despite the fact the Brewers have more talent, the Cubs just seem to have their number. It's a shame the Cubs are as close as they are considering how they've played this year (then again, you could say the same about the Sox). I guess the one bright spot is the the Brewers have a loaded farm. So they have the pieces to go out and upgrade.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
Despite the fact the Brewers have more talent, the Cubs just seem to have their number. It's a shame the Cubs are as close as they are considering how they've played this year (then again, you could say the same about the Sox). I guess the one bright spot is the the Brewers have a loaded farm. So they have the pieces to go out and upgrade.

The Brewers don't have much of a pitching staff. That's something the Cubs do have.

And if you think the Cubs' offense is underachieving, the Brewers offense underachieves almost every year. Despite the fact that they have Hart, Braun, Fielder, and Hardy, all guys who have plus power and are good hitters, they're always a mediocre to barely above average offense. Really puzzles me.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
The Brewers don't have much of a pitching staff. That's something the Cubs do have.

And if you think the Cubs' offense is underachieving, the Brewers offense underachieves almost every year. Despite the fact that they have Hart, Braun, Fielder, and Hardy, all guys who have plus power and are good hitters, they're always a mediocre to barely above average offense. Really puzzles me.

Really a shame what happened to Weeks. He was finally having that breakout year. But even with that, the Brewers are ranked 3rd and 4th in the NL in HR's and runs scored this year. Their bullpen is probably the best in the division. They desperately need another starter.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 06:16 PM)
Despite the fact the Brewers have more talent,

Wrong. Sorry, the contributions of Soriano, Fukudome, Soto, Lee, Marmol, Lilly, Z, Wells, Dempster, Harden definitely outweighs that of Braun, Fielder, Hardy, Cameron, Gallardo, Hoffman. Even throwing in Weeks into the equation, you’d have too add A-Ram for the Cubs. Absolute win for the Cubs.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 05:33 PM)
Wrong. Sorry, the contributions of Soriano, Fukudome, Soto, Lee, Marmol, Lilly, Z, Wells, Dempster, Harden definitely outweighs that of Braun, Fielder, Hardy, Cameron, Gallardo, Hoffman. Even throwing in Weeks into the equation, you’d have too add A-Ram for the Cubs. Absolute win for the Cubs.

Other than starting pitching, the Brewers are clearly the more talented team. But that could change in a hurry if the Brewers make a deal for somebody like Oswalt.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
Really a shame what happened to Weeks. He was finally having that breakout year. But even with that, the Brewers are ranked 3rd and 4th in the NL in HR's and runs scored this year. Their bullpen is probably the best in the division. They desperately need another starter.

What's the possibility that they land Cliff Lee?

After all, they dealt with the Indians last year and it looks like they didn't give up as much as they thought since Matt LaPorta hasn't been the guy the Indians thought they got.

I was making up the rosters for the AL and NL all-star teams on another board and I just noticed that I didn't put a single Cub on there. Somebody actually had to point that out for me.

Then I thought about it and it made sense. They don't have a single truly worthy all-star. Derrek Lee is the only one that comes even close and I don't think the NL will carry 4 1B since the other 3 are Gonzalez, Pujols, and Fielder.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
I was making up the rosters for the AL and NL all-star teams on another board and I just noticed that I didn't put a single Cub on there. Somebody actually had to point that out for me.

Then I thought about it and it made sense. They don't have a single truly worthy all-star. Derrek Lee is the only one that comes even close and I don't think the NL will carry 4 1B since the other 3 are Gonzalez, Pujols, and Fielder.

Lilly probably deserves to make it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
Lilly probably deserves to make it.

Not when he's in the company of Lincecum, Cain, Billingsley, Santana, Haren, Gallardo, and Cueto.

He's got a nice ERA, but he's 7-6. I doubt he gets selected although it would be total blasphemy if the Cubs didn't get a single all-star.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
Macha got simply outmanaged today by Lou. Shows you why in the late innings.

I don't know why he let Suppan run as the go-ahead run in the 7th inning. You have to have somebody run for him in that situation. Somebody like a Craig Counsell or a Bill Hall.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
Rich Harden is trash. I get so sick of hearing about his k's. He's not a good pitcher.

I remember last year Dan Plesac said- Rich will eat up innings for this team.

:lolhitting

Do your homework next time, Dan.