Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 17, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
I thought DE was near the of the list of draft needs this year, and certainly next year....Ogunleye and Anderson in last year of contract and Alex Brown entering that age where DE's start to decline fast....in addition, Brown isn't nearly as much of a pass rushing DE anymore that is needed in the cover 2...

I like it because its unlikely the bears would have been able to get a DE with Adams production in the second round, and certainly would not have been able to get one of Adams upside in the second round...basically if the worst Adams will be going forward is a 6 sack a year guy (his average the last two years) than its at least a break even move in my opinion...Adams also has a shot at being a 12 sack a year guy though

This sums up my thoughts exactly. If he can average at least 6 sacks/year, the odds are good that those numbers would be better than any DE we could get in the 2nd. Though, with Marinelli as his coach, I feel like he's only going to get better.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Domimant DE's are very valuable. Gaines has the tools to be that. Its a ballsy move but the Bears wouldn't have had a shot at this type of physical specimen in the 2nd round of next years draft. I don't like mortaging our picks, but in this case I don't mind it.

I'm done trading picks though, at least without getting more picks back. That said, I expect that we'll deal Urlacher for something in the off-season and pick-up a pick.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 17, 2009 -> 07:42 PM)
Domimant DE's are very valuable. Gaines has the tools to be that. Its a ballsy move but the Bears wouldn't have had a shot at this type of physical specimen in the 2nd round of next years draft. I don't like mortaging our picks, but in this case I don't mind it.

I'm done trading picks though, at least without getting more picks back. That said, I expect that we'll deal Urlacher for something in the off-season and pick-up a pick.

won't happen

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 17, 2009 -> 06:42 PM)
That said, I expect that we'll deal Urlacher for something in the off-season and pick-up a pick.

There is very little chance this is going to happen. You don't trade a guy at lowest value, and Urlacher has none right now. If he comes back and has a nice season in 2010, that's when you trade him, after that season.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 11:18 PM)
I get the trade because Adams is a great talent. But it is a risk as a 2nd rounder is a steep price (and now the Bears don't have a 1st or 2nd rounder in the 2010 draft IIRC)

The Bears suck at drafting high picks anyway.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 08:53 AM)
2nd round picks? Forte, Hester, Tillman, Bradley (not for us)

Was Manning a 2nd rounder? Or did they trade down to the 3rd round for him? I cant remember, but I think he was a 2nd rounder, because everyone said he was a reach where the bears drafted him

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Oct 17, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
Why would he deserve anything close to top five money he could arguably be the Bears fourth best DE.

While I dont think the Bears will franchise Ogun, I think it is insane to think he could be arguably the 4th best on the team. Mark Anderson has done absolutely nothing since his rookie year, Gaines Adams at this point is a huge bust and Alex Brown is above average and consistent. Brown and Ogun are head and shoulders above the other two guys.

Do you guys not watch the saints?

Do you realize the ravens have an offensively bad passing D that made the chiefs look like a good offense?

Now, then, the saints are destroying a giants team that is considered one of the best in the league. Their offense, which was your guys' argument about why they're not as good as the vikings, because they don't score 50 pts a game while giving up a comparable amt of points to the vikings, is now easily going up and down against the Giants D?

You've yet to give a good argument against the saints being worse, and now they are beating one of the best teams in the league and are still worse.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)

Do you realize the ravens have an offensively bad passing D that made the chiefs look like a good offense?

Now, then, the saints are destroying a giants team that is considered one of the best in the league. Their offense, which was your guys' argument about why they're not as good as the vikings, because they don't score 50 pts a game while giving up a comparable amt of points to the vikings, is now easily going up and down against the Giants D?

You've yet to give a good argument against the saints being worse, and now they are beating one of the best teams in the league and are still worse.

And Eli plays better on the road.... Saints are the best team

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)

If you wanna go that route..

Washington

Dallas

Tampa Bay

Oakland

Kansas City

Those are the teams the Giants beat before todays game, maybe the Giants just aren't any good?

The difference is when the pass isn't there I have zero confidence in the Saints running game to beat a playoff caliber team where as I have no questions about Minnesotas offense in that regard.