Anybody else not feelin' the Hawk-Stoney combo

Wanne

And I'm a big Stoney fan...but I'm not not feelin' it so far. Hawk still goes off in his "Days of Lore" parade. Stoney tries to play along and seems to reel Hawk back in a little better than DJ. And as much as I'd get annoyed as hell listening to Hawk and DJ just BLAB at times...or DJ just repeating what Hawk just said...at least there was a "peace" about it. Maybe it's just Hawk. Maybe Stoney needs someone a little less of an overpowering personality to team with. Just something seems a little off IMO.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 06:19 PM)
I think you are nuts

^^

I literally used to watch games in silence when it was Hawk and DJ sometimes. If we were playing the Twins, I had decided I'd rather listen to their announcers than to hear Hawk sucking off Carlos Gomez for 3 hours.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 07:19 PM)
I'd rather see farmer and stone on tv anyday... hawk needs to join dj

I was just gonna post something to this effect. The best combo I think we've had was Farmer/Stoney. They were impeccable together.

I kind of agree, and I find myself fading in and out attention wise so far this year. Stone is wonderful, but Hawk is really starting to irritate me sometimes.

On a similar note, does anybody wish they would just broadcast a game without announcers but still have the sounds of the game? I would love that, and I know it sounds odd, but you don't need a play by play guy at the game.

Stoney is the best in the game. Hawk is hawk. Off topic, but I broadcasted for an off-season collegiate league, and during one of the later games, after we’d been eliminated from playoff contention, the guy’s In the press box got bored roughly around the fifth inning, no one ever really listened via radio, so we pretty much had free reign. Anyway, I did about three innings, as Hawk Harrelson, did everything, the COME ON, STRECHES, HE GAWNS, Dangnabit's, it was an absolute blast.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)
I kind of agree, and I find myself fading in and out attention wise so far this year. Stone is wonderful, but Hawk is really starting to irritate me sometimes.

On a similar note, does anybody wish they would just broadcast a game without announcers but still have the sounds of the game? I would love that, and I know it sounds odd, but you don't need a play by play guy at the game.

About 20 years ago, NBC broadcast an NFL game without any announcers. It was kind of nice at first, but did get old. The only announcer that has ever really annoyed me enough to turn on the radio or just mute it was Tom Dore. He seems like a nice enough guy, I'm sure a lot of people liked his style,and when he called into talk shows or was on other programs, I didn't mind him,but for some reason listening to him do Bulls games was nails on a blackboard to me.

Hawk pisses me off sometimes. I don't mind him being a homer, but sometimes I think he takes liberties with fans' baseball intelligence when talking up White Sox players who obviously aren't going to be major leaguers for very long. But overall, I love the Hawk. Anyone who sounds like they are in the middle of giving birth describing a White Sox win in the middle of September when the team is hopelessly out of contention is alright by me. I also think he does have a good baseball mind with some unique ideas. When he's not spewing the company line, he's as interesting as they come.

Hawk gets to me with his aggrandizing of some of players. It seems every other game we get a statement like this:

"Over the last [#] years [so and so] has been one of, if not the best [some intangible quality] hitters/pitchers/fielders in the American League."

Like he's at all qualified to make a statement like this.

i guess i'm one of the few - but i love hawk. yes he's ridiculous, yes his STRETCH calls when the ball is in shallow RF are dumb, but a) he's the only guy i've known and B) i'd miss 'you can put it on the board' and 'he gawn' and yes - even 'stretch'

he's an idiot, but i love the hawkeroo.

Stone holds Hawk's feet to the fire. The negative aspects of Hawk are held in check so far, and I hope it continues throughout the year.

Also, Stone provides enough cynicism to kind of abort some of Hawk's blind excitement. I think announcers need to provide a little ra-ra, but with DJ alongside him HH had free reign to just pump the Sox fan up over informing him/her

I'm one that actually think HH offers a lot when on his game. In the past Ive actually liked him more when we were losing a game.

Edited by Princess Dye